Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Massey 165 Steering

Options
  • 21-05-2014 4:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭

Hi,

We have an old massey 165 around the farm ,and the steering (not power steering) is extremely tough on it.

Im used to tractors without power steering, but this one is just ridiculously hard to get around with .

iv tried greasing it and oiling it every way I can, but no good.

What can I do to fix it? Would it be steering box? if so, how much is one of these, and is it big job to replace??

thanks,

Jo
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭sandydan

have you drained out box ,washed it out with diesel and refilled with oil and jacked up front of tractor off ground and worked steering repeatedly .some time shims in kingpin bearings are the killer and need replacing. dried out oil hardens and needs heat to move it.
    if going to trouble of replacing steering box i would opt to fit power steering altogether.saw massey 65 fitted with power steering orbital unit off JCB and external ram on front axle,cant remember exactly how but it worked a treat.
    but not suitable for vintage:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭jocotty

sandydan wrote: »
    have you drained out box ,washed it out with diesel and refilled with oil and jacked up front of tractor off ground and worked steering repeatedly .some time shims in kingpin bearings are the killer and need replacing. dried out oil hardens and needs heat to move it.
    if going to trouble of replacing steering box i would opt to fit power steering altogether.saw massey 65 fitted with power steering orbital unit off JCB and external ram on front axle,cant remember exactly how but it worked a treat.
    but not suitable for vintage:)

haven't tried that , no. how do I drain out the box?
    was thinkin of putting the power steering in, but it would be fairly expensive.

as far as i can remember there is a small stud at side square head and that lets out oil another at top to fill half way roughly. i might look at one tomorrow and see for sure if i can .
    orbital unit and ram off jcb complete with steering wheel if own wheel doesn't fit should be €150. try and get U bracket for holding ram saves hassle. a power steering pump probably from an exporter or breaker, get new price from main dealer as a guide . quite a bit of DIY in it.
    complete housing or front unit might be handier but most have erratic steering problems due to wear and design but you could be lucky

met a guy who purchased 165 without power steering,he doesnt need it for loader work just yard and hay turning vintage . steering was heavy and he changed front wheels ,fitted narrow,took off steering end fitted grease nipples,first soaked good ones in dsl,(were stiff and full of rust) removed steering bar from steering box and was a little stiff, washed it out , refilled it with fresh oil,( no leaks and no play), kingpin bearings were replaced after removing dried grease(like hard tar) fitted new bushings and bearings and refitted king pins.the steering housing inside grill also took a lot of time freeing out.
    hope that helps but it is a lot of hard graft, cheaper than power steering though:)

was looking through done deal and saw power streeing and pump for ford tractor priced at €450 so massey would or should be around same or less

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭almostover

A power steering kit can be got from agriline for approx 450 bob. A 165 is a heavy tractor not to have power steering. Have driven them with and without and they are hard work without it.

does that include full kit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭almostover

The whole lot, pump, ram, pipes, reservoir etc. With VAT and deliver it will be close to €600 but a proper job.

Advertisement