Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mobile App Q & A

Options
  • 21-05-2014 4:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭

[font=Verdana, sans-serif]Hi folks, [/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif] [/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]One of the more popular things we’re asked about on our Talk to Forum is our Mobile App. As we always mention, your feedback and suggestions are appreciated and sent to our Mobile Team. As a result of this feedback, Jonathan, from that team, will be with the Reps and I in the afternoon on Wed 28th May. He will be here to answer questions, update on future plans and help with general queries. If you have any questions or just want to say hello, post here and Jonathan will start responding on the 28th! We’re not saying he’ll be able to answer everything on the spot but anything that he can’t answer straight away, he’ll look into it and get back to us. Obviously it mightn’t be sensible to share certain business sensitive information but everything will definitely be taken away and hopefully addressed as part of future launches/enhancements. Jonathan is genuinely looking forward to getting involved so please feel free to start posting now. :) [/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]Thanks[/font]

[font=Verdana, sans-serif]Billy[/font]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭FGR

Hi Jonathan/BOI Team.!

Is there any inkling of a Windows Phone App?

If not; is there any possibility that BOI may consider a universal mobile website like AIB?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Skoochie

Hi BOI and Mr Mobile App man

I've downloaded the app on my iPad (I know it's not an iPad app) and it doesn't display very well. With so many people using tablets and iPads nowadays does BOI have any plans to roll one out?

Cheers
    Skoochie :D

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Ranjo

Ditto on the Windows Phone app. There was a thread in after hours about phone usage and about 8-9% were on Windows Phone.

Given 2 years ago that was basically zero you will have to seriously consider a WP app on your roadmap as its a growing market share.

In the absence of a mobile site, doing common banking tasks on my
    Windows Phone is a bloody chore.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭Tow

Hi Jonathan,

At the moment it is not possible to change the 'Reference' or to give the field its correct name the 'End to End ID' on the mobile app, while it is possible change the field on the main 365 site.

In addition, would be possible to accept the full 35 characters and the basic SEPA character set. The website is limited to only 25 alpha numeric (a-Z 0-9) characters and I am told this is not going to be changed.
    This in causing difficulties when making payments to European companies, who expect to see long order numbers broken up with hyphens in the End to End ID.  You could look at this ability as having one up on the main website! 

308675.jpg

BTW: If you have any input Banking 365 site, might I suggest that the proper ISO20022 field names are given in the popup tips, if not on the main screen.  This would make international transfers easier for your customers to initiate/understand, especially where there are language difficulties.

Tow

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

Hi Jonathan,

Another question:
    Would it be possible to add a drill down on the individual account transactions, as can be done on the 365 Site?

It would be useful if this could be done for all transactions, for some reason on the web site they only bothered to add this ability for SEPA Debits. So for example after making a SEPA Payment you just get to see "365 Online XXXXXXXXX", with the rest of the 'Details' field truncated at around 20 characters.

To be honest this looks like a bodge which dates back into the legacy of time. I have used other banks which have no bother producing statements or showing transactions (paper and online) with separate columns for the Date, Type, Source, Reference (End to End ID) etc for each transaction.

Tow

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Billy

Tow wrote: »
    Hi Jonathan,

Another question:
    Would it be possible to add a drill down on the individual account transactions, as can be done on the 365 Site?

It would be useful if this could be done for all transactions, for some reason on the web site they only bothered to add this ability for SEPA Debits.  So for example after making a SEPA Payment you just get to see "365 Online XXXXXXXXX", with the rest of the 'Details' field truncated at around 20 characters.

To be honest this looks like a bodge which dates back into the legacy of time.  I have used other banks which have no bother producing statements or showing transactions (paper and online) with separate columns for the Date, Type, Source, Reference (End to End ID) etc for each transaction.

Tow
    Hi Tow,

OK, few things here….

1. Allowing you to edit the reference on mobile.

No reason why not. I will add this to the small change for mobile enhancements and you will see it in a future release. It won’t be next release because that is nearing the end of build now but it will get into one of the next couple of releases. Thanks.

2. Allowing better \ full SEPA capability when entering the payment.

Great feedback and things we would never really think of ourselves – back to the idea of never being able to think of every scenario. If I take these items as list of possible improvements I see:
    i. Reference field - Allow full 35 characters instead of 25 characters
    ii. Reference field – allow full alphanumeric key set as opposed to current limitations
    iii. General – Include SEPA field names in info on each field (a simple, great idea!)

At the end of today I am going to collate all the 365 online feedback into a single note back to the online team and they have said they will pick them up as candidate items for future releases. They are just as happy to get this feedback as I am for mobile.

Thanks

Jonathan (and the Bank of Ireland Mobile Team)

Hi Jonathan,

At the moment it is not possible to change the 'Reference' or to give the field its correct name the 'End to End ID' on the mobile app, while it is possible change the field on the main 365 site.

In addition, would be possible to accept the full 35 characters and the basic SEPA character set. The website is limited to only 25 alpha numeric (a-Z 0-9) characters and I am told this is not going to be changed.
    This in causing difficulties when making payments to European companies, who expect to see long order numbers broken up with hyphens in the End to End ID.  You could look at this ability as having one up on the main website! 

308675.jpg

BTW: If you have any input Banking 365 site, might I suggest that the proper ISO20022 field names are given in the popup tips, if not on the main screen.  This would make international transfers easier for your customers to initiate/understand, especially where there are language difficulties.

Tow
    Hi Tow,

Firstly, thanks of the query – it’s hard for us to see all the smaller tweaks that are possible. Every user uses the channels (online \ mobile) in their own way and sees improvements accordingly.

Secondly, in terms of how any suggestions (including the below which is perfectly reasonable and legit) are assessed. Basically we keep a running list of all possible site improvements – both enhancements to existing functionality and new functionality. We are never able to make all the changes we would like – time, money, competing priorities etc… So everything is about deciding of all the possibilities, which ones give the best combination of improved customer service and experience and value for money. 

So, in relation your questions \ suggestions. 

1. Display extended SEPA payment information on Mobile
    The short answer is “yes”, we would consider providing drill-down to show all payment information on mobile. SEPA necessitated huge transformation in the way European banks process what were historically domestic payments. This involved moving over 95% of our payments from an Irish payment scheme (IRECC) to a European standard (SEPA). In the short to medium term we felt that extended information allowed under SEPA was unlikely to be used by most people making payments. With more space available on 365 it seems sensible to provide this information here first. However, as this becomes more common we will look to provide this drill down capability on mobile also.

2. Displaying full Transaction Detail on all SEPA transactions
    Two parts to this. Firstly, you can see full SEPA details for both Direct Debits and Credit Transfers into your account. However you are right! You cannot see extended information for payments made out of your account. While I wouldn’t call it a ‘bodge’ ( :) ) I would agree that it would be better if it was possible to offer this drill down. We will take this on board and look into it for future releases.

Thanks again!

FGR wrote: »
    Hi Jonathan/BOI Team.!

Is there any inkling of a Windows Phone App?

If not; is there any possibility that BOI may consider a universal mobile website like AIB?
    Ranjo wrote: »
    Ditto on the Windows Phone app. There was a thread in after hours about phone usage and about 8-9% were on Windows Phone.

Given 2 years ago that was basically zero you will have to seriously consider a WP app on your roadmap as its a growing market share.

In the absence of a mobile site, doing common banking tasks on my  
    Windows Phone is a bloody chore.

Hi FGR and Ranjo

Yes is the short answer! 

As I’m sure you are aware, at present Android and iOS are the largest OSs by market share for smart phones. This has been the case since we decided to build the mobile app – hence our decision to start there. We build separately for each OS since we believe it allows us to provide a better user experience for users on different phones (things behave differently on Android, Google, Windows, etc... 

The down side to this approach is that there is substantial overhead in each additional OS added. However, Windows is the ‘third OS’ for mobile (overtaking RIM) so we are looking to add it to our supported OS list. At present it remains on the ‘candidate change list’ so I can’t promise a date but I would hope we can do this sooner (note I am still talking bank speed here…!) rather than later. A big push will be the speed at which Windows OS 8 for phones is adopted. In the interim, I apologise to you and anyone else who struggles with the online site on a mobile.

Skoochie wrote: »
    Hi BOI and Mr Mobile App man

I've downloaded the app on my iPad (I know it's not an iPad app) and it doesn't display very well. With so many people using tablets and iPads nowadays does BOI have any plans to roll one out?

Cheers
    Skoochie :D
    Hi Skoochie, 

Thanks for your question.

It's Billy here.

Jonathon is going to take this away and have it looked at for future developments. 

Thanks again for posting. 

Billy

Hi Jonathan,

Thanks for your positive replies, I made the suggestions before but the response was less than enthusiastic.

The main 'Bodge' I am referring to is how descriptions for each transaction are crammed into approx 20 characters of 'detail' on the statements/screen. In particular the need to add '365 Online' in front of credit transfers, which takes up 11 of the 20 characters. Other (European) banks use separate columns to display the source of the transfer etc.

308815.jpg

BTW: Would it be possible to get proper certificates for the .ie sites. Maybe take the money from marketing's budget as they give a bad impression. eg https://www.boi.ie/

• Advertisement

Hi Jonathan,

Thanks for your positive replies, I made the suggestions before but the response was less than enthusiastic.

The main 'Bodge' I am referring to is how descriptions for each transaction are crammed into approx 20 characters of 'detail' on the statements/screen. In particular the need to add '365 Online' in front of credit transfers, which takes up 11 of the 20 characters.  Other (European) banks use separate columns to display the source of the transfer etc.

308815.jpg

BTW: Would it be possible to get proper certificates for the .ie sites. Maybe take the money from marketing's budget as they give a bad impression. eg https://www.boi.ie/
    Thanks Tow, 

This is something that is outside my remit and is not specific to the app. Having said that, I will be meeting with various departments to discuss the feedback/views I have received here today so I can definitely pass on your views. 

Thanks again for taking part today – hopefully I can come out and do this again. 

Jonathan

Thanks for contributing everyone. I’ve a lot to take back with me and will feed this to my own team as well as other relevant departments. I’ve found it very useful and will hopefully come back and do it again. I can definitely understand why you guys like Boards so much :)

Jonathan  

• Registered Users Posts: 4,110 ✭✭✭Colemania

Thanks for contributing everyone. I’ve a lot to take back with me and will feed this to my own team as well as other relevant departments. I’ve found it very useful and will hopefully come back and do it again. I can definitely understand why you guys like Boards so much :)

Jonathan  

My android app is not working at all today for some reason and I tried uninstalling it and installing again but it just says it's loading. Is there an issue with it at the moment?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Laura

[font=Verdana, sans-serif]Hi Colemania.[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]Thanks for getting in touch.[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]Our mobile app is currently off-air for an essential upgrade. We hope to have full service restored shortly.[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]Apologies for any inconvenience this may cause you.[/font]

[font=Verdana, sans-serif]If you have an urgent query, p[/font][font=Verdana, sans-serif]lease log on to www.365online.com or call Bank of Ireland 365 directly on 0818 365 365 / 003531 4044000 and a representative will be happy to assist you.[/font]

[font=Verdana, sans-serif]If we can assist you with anything else, please don't hesitate to contact us.[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]Laura[/font]

• Registered Users Posts: 4,110 ✭✭✭Colemania

[font=Verdana, sans-serif]Hi Colemania.[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]Thanks for getting in touch.[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]Our mobile app is currently off-air for an essential upgrade. We hope to have full service restored shortly.[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]Apologies for any inconvenience this may cause you.[/font]

[font=Verdana, sans-serif]If you have an urgent query, p[/font][font=Verdana, sans-serif]lease log on to www.365online.com or call Bank of Ireland 365 directly on 0818 365 365 / 003531 4044000 and a representative will be happy to assist you.[/font]

[font=Verdana, sans-serif]If we can assist you with anything else, please don't hesitate to contact us.[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]Laura[/font]

Nothing urgent, was just checking my balance. Thanks for the update, much appreciated. Keep up the good work :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Is this app usable on Windows 8 phone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Janet

kleefarr wrote: »
    Hi kleefarr, 

Thanks for you post.

Currently we have no app for a Windows 8 phone, but it is something we are looking into for the future.

Janette

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭veganrun

kleefarr wrote: »
    Hi kleefarr, 

Thanks for you post.

Currently we have no app for a Windows 8 phone, but it is something we are looking into for the future.

Janette
    I hope you guys bring out a mobile app for Windows Phone.

Although you really should have a mobile friendly version of the Banking 365 website available too/instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 anrakh

I just upgraded my Nexus 5 phone to the latest Lollipop OS Android 5.
    The BofI app has stopped working now.
    Is it because of the new OS or a coincidence?
    Is there a fault with the app connectivity instead?
    Once installed, it shuts down, then sticks on "validating user" when starting again.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

The mobile app always forces a logout when switching screens on iOS.  I often need to switch screens to verify transaction information against e-mail or other apps, and this behaviour is very annoying. Surely the mobile team know that there are other ways to force logout after a reasonable period of inactivity.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Tara

Hi anrakh,

Thanks for getting in touch.

We're sorry to hear you've experienced difficulty accessing the Mobile App. A fix for this is scheduled for release in December. 

Hi Red Alert,

As you correctly mention, on all mobile devices the app will log you out once it's closed. Some mobile devices allow you to multi-task and run multiple apps at the same time.

Thanks
    Tara

Advertisement