Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pistol application

Options
  • 21-05-2014 4:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭

just handed in an application for a Hammerli xesse. Wish me luck and a speedy outcome. First application for a .22 rifle went through quickly enough when I finally got it to the right F.O. I won't hold my breath though...

T minus 3 months.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Heckler wrote: »
    Wish me luck and a speedy outcome.

Good luck. :)
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭rugermk3

hope u get it , think im waiting 4 months now on a pistol ,

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭gavindublin

Stick me in the mix. Applied for a ruger 22/45 but only a few weeks ago. All seems positive so far

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭knockon

rugermk3 wrote: »

Have you considered making a compliant about the Superintendent/Chief Superintendent to the GSOC? You are supposed to get a grant or a refusal in writing after his consideration period of 3 months and 1 month later if you have not heard a reply its considered a refusal even though he has not written to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

knockon wrote: »
    Have you considered making a compliant about the Superintendent/Chief Superintendent to the GSOC? You are supposed to get a grant or a refusal in writing after his consideration period of 3 months and 1 month later if you have not heard a reply its considered a refusal even though he has not written to you.

I wouldn't make a complaint just yet. I would however ring up and ask how the application is progressing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Heckler

rugermk3 wrote: »
    Stick me in the mix. Applied for a ruger 22/45 but only a few weeks ago. All seems positive so far

Best of luck !!

Was a much different story this time. Last cert it took me ages to pin down the F.O. and got a bit of a 3rd degree during the interview. In a much smaller district now and when I rang to find out who the F.O. was, they told me I could hand it in to any Garda.

Went down and gave it to the Garda at the front desk. He looked through it. Asked one or two questions, said "perfect" and that was it. Less than 5 minutes in and out.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭ntipptop

Best of luck
    I started trying to get a pistol license about 2 years ago and its still going on
    I hope to have it sorted soon
    Pity they cant follow the rules like everyone else in the country, but i think that is starting to happen now

well ive a few guns and ive been made wait for the lot of them , first shotgun 9 months, first rifle 6 months , last rifle about 4 months just got it, so i think its just the station im dealing with seem to be very slow, but I was thinking I might have to go down that road with it been a pistol , i`ll give it another week or two , then start making phone calls , but your correct your ment to have an answer with in 3 months, know the girl I was dealing with when I was chasing the rifle told me the pistol would take a few weeks longer , so im taking from that I haven't be refused but u never know hahaha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

I wouldn't make a complaint it can mean a refusal but not always i waited 9 months before and 8.

juice1304 wrote: »
    I wouldn't make a complaint it can mean a refusal but not always i waited 9 months before and 8.

That's the point. Its already been refused....

Section 3 of the Firearms Act 1925 - If a decision on an application is not made within this 3 month period then this is deemed to be a refusal under section 15A of the Firearms Act 1925 as inserted by section 43 of the Criminal Justice Act 2006.

...and after 30 days has passed, more importantly now you cannot appeal it to the DC.

• Advertisement

Section 3 of the Firearms Act 1925 - If a decision on an application is not made within this 3 month period then this is deemed to be a refusal under section 15A of the Firearms Act 1925 as inserted by section 43 of the Criminal Justice Act 2006.

...and after 30 days has passed, more importantly now you cannot appeal it to the DC.

I hear what your saying but on the other hand ive had to wait more than 3 months on all my guns and haven't be refused ,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

I know what the act says but i also know that if everything was followed we wouldn't have the problems we do. They do as they please and more often than not it takes longer.

juice1304 wrote: »
    I know what the act says but i also know that if everything was followed we wouldn't have the problems we do. They do as they please and more often than not it takes longer.

.......and that is unacceptable. I have as recently as yesterday been inside the District Court and if you read Grizzly45 very accurate account of what took place in the Limerick DC thread. The Judge yesterday had to spell it out for the State "ITS AN AUTOMATIC REFUSAL" (not me shouting by the way). Is'nt it also true that folks who also thought "ya sure it will be sorted in the next few months" have been told by some "personae designate" that sorry but you are too late to lodge an appeal.

... GSOC has a sh1t load of these complaints on their desk and Acting Comm Noirin O Sullivan is getting swamped by them. Meanwhile the Garda Authority when its set up is going to be asking a lot of questions on use of time and budget on court cases its not winning. While all this is going on we have several Government Ministers who have said the DOJ is not fit for purpose and the top civil servant in that department walking around like the Captain of the Titanic.

The whole thing is a mess. I don't really have the answers.

I hated even referring this matter to GSOC myself as they have treated some members of AGS very poorly. Good hard working decent men and women who have frivolous complaints leveled against them by scumbags. The result of the GSOC investigation has to be extracted from GSOC and the Garda involved at the end of his tether with worry. ..and to the complainant who made the frivolous complaint - nothing, not even a slap on the wrist...and that is grossly unfair too.

Was looking over section 9 of the FCA1. It includes refusal as No good or sufficient reason, public safety concerns and disentitled to possess, use or carry a firearm.

I'm not disentitled as I already have a firearm cert which would presumably negate the public safety concerns. The Hammerli is fit for purpose for target shooting (which I would regard as sufficient reason) and i"m a member of a recognised gun club.

Anyone see any reason why I might be refused ?

Just in case they come back to me. Anything I'm missing ?

Was looking over section 9 of the FCA1. It includes refusal as No good or sufficient reason, public safety concerns and disentitled to possess, use or carry a firearm.

I'm not disentitled as I already have a firearm cert which would presumably negate the public safety concerns. The Hammerli is fit for purpose for target shooting (which I would regard as sufficient reason) and i"m a member of a recognised gun club.

Anyone see any reason why I might be refused ?

Just in case they come back to me. Anything I'm missing ?

I'd agree with your assessment. Safety shouldn't be an issue seeing as you already have a gun. If you have an approved safe, you would comply with the secure storage rules. Being in a club/range that caters for pistols is your reason for needing the pistol. And the pistol is on the world famous 'list' in the Commissioners Guidelines so that shouldn't be a problem. There are no guarantees though.

Did you supply a letter with your application to prove that the magazines are plugged to only allow 5 rounds?

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭dc99

The current issue on licensing a Xesse is that it can be fitted with a 10 round magazine. there is currently a case going through the Kerry DC because of this.
    Apparently , according to Ballistics, this makes it a restricted FA. despite being supplied with a plugged magazine.

dc99 wrote: »
    The current issue on licensing a Xesse is that it can be fitted with a 10 round magazine. there is currently a case going through the Kerry DC because of this.
    Apparently , according to Ballistics, this makes it a restricted FA. despite being supplied with a plugged magazine.

So much for the Commissioners Guidelines eh.

To be honest, I'm losing so much respect for the Gardai over stupid stuff like this.

Can they not see that what we do is a sport. We aren't criminals.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

BattleCorp wrote: »
    Can they not see that what we do is a sport. We aren't criminals.

This.

Criminals don't apply to anybody for their guns.

All us legal shooters are like bits of Shanks' porcelain, screwed to the walls so that we can be p****d on.

These people are taking the micky out of us. :mad: Just because they can.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭yubabill1

tac foley wrote: »
    This.

Criminals don't apply to anybody for their guns.

All us legal shooters are like bits of Shanks' porcelain, screwed to the walls so that we can be p****d on.

tac

Guys,

We are the biggest section of the Irish public dealing with Gardaí on a regular basis.

This kind of treatment of the public by maverick gardai is NOT ON. It is a thing of the past, along with the Troubles and imminent risk to state security.

They are inviting submissions on how the gardai should be overseen and I vote that someone here makes a submission from our point of view, as the largest sector dealing with AGS etc. etc.

BattleCorp wrote: »
    I'd agree with your assessment. Safety shouldn't be an issue seeing as you already have a gun. If you have an approved safe, you would comply with the secure storage rules. Being in a club/range that caters for pistols is your reason for needing the pistol. And the pistol is on the world famous 'list' in the Commissioners Guidelines so that shouldn't be a problem. There are no guarantees though.

Did you supply a letter with your application to prove that the magazines are plugged to only allow 5 rounds?

I supplied a letter stating the dealer would plug it to only take 5 rounds. The receipt i got with the deposit also states 5 shots only. That nonsense with the kerry DC has taken the wind outta my sails. Seems they're looking for any excuse. Still, fingers crossed. The thinking is bizarre. Ok to have 10 5 round magazines but not to have one 10 round magazine. Who dreamed up this rubbish.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

tac foley wrote: »
    No, they're taking the mickey out of us because someone took a lot of cases that needed a phone call to the right person from the FPU and a quiet slap on the wrist to Ballistics by the higher-ranked FPU to sort out, and ran them straight into the high court and the media and got every single high-ranking person's backs up.

Can it all get straightened out? Yes, and it probably will eventually, but when people keep poking at it by lobbying every TD over non-existant things and canvassing the entire pool of local election candidates with out-and-out stupidity before an election, all it does is drag the whole mess out even further -- and there is a point beyond which it stops becoming a mess people want sorted and starts becoming "how things are and how they've always been". We go past that point and our lives get so much more awkward for no good reason. Individual cases like Grizzly's should be nothing more than a local dispute that can get resolved six ways before he ever has to pay a penny to a solicitor or see a courtroom; they shouldn't be the fuel to a political row that those having the row never have to pay a penny for.

:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Not to mind sect 12 of same act. if a super refuses to issue the liscense,you must be informed in writing of the decision and reasons given. So which is it to be 90 days or a written refusal.??Another frup up in our legislation.

As I said in the previous post RE my court case, both ballistics and FPU head said themselves that this isnt the way to go either and discussing technical points about what a gun should or shouldnt be.The DC isnt the place for it.[Maybe they are saying this now because they have lost 95% of their cases in court??]
    However this BULLONEY about 5 round mags and you can put a 10 round in them is ridicilous,as I said to the experts.Whats to stop anyone with a 5 round mag buying a bunch of five rounders and taping them end to end and achiveing the same effect of a single ten round for what ever nefarious purpose??
    Silence ensued.

Also ,yes while the GSG 1911 .22 might be a POS[to them] it is that some of us cut our cloth to our needs and cant afford 1200 euro NIB Swiss sport pistols.Or that those of us with big meat hooks and are left hookers cant use these fancy little right handed pistols properly and need bigger frames and grips.:eek:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭murph226

I rang Phoenix Park about a license recently and a Guard up there told me the Super has 6 months to sign off on the license.

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Whats to stop anyone with a 5 round mag buying a bunch of five rounders and taping them end to end and achiveing the same effect of a single ten round for what ever nefarious purpose??
    Silence ensued.
    That exact question was first asked by jaycee about ten seconds after the idea was announced. It's never gotten an answer.
    some of us cut our cloth to our needs and cant afford 1200 euro NIB Swiss sport pistols.
    And that was the reason that we don't have a restricted list in statute law that has a list of pistols like in California, but a set of characteristics of the pistol. The problem - and it's fecking rare that we can say this - isn't actually the law here.

Well. I still think the restricted category's a daft idea anyway, but you know what I mean.

murph226 wrote: »
    I rang Phoenix Park about a license recently and a Guard up there told me the Super has 6 months to sign off on the license.
    Might I guess that you were talking to Ballistics and not the FPU? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭murph226

I rang Mary first and she put me through to said Guard so I'm not sure tbh.

I should know this by now but...

What role does the F.O. have apart from taking the application ? Do they recommend to the super that it should be granted ? If they do recommend why would a super not sign off ? i.e. is it really down to the F.O. taking the application whether it gets a green light ?

If the super signs off it gets sent to phoenix park where the licence is processed ?

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭dc99

I'm afraid that if your Super lifts the phione and talks to Ballistics...your F***ed. it will be rejected...

Not legal, but true.......

The big hope is that either your super has recently granted an Xesse or that that FA has already been challenged in the DC and the state lost (meaning the licence was granted after the court hearing).

dc99 wrote: »
    I'm afraid that if your Super lifts the phione and talks to Ballistics...your F***ed. it will be rejected...

Not legal, but true.......

The big hope is that either your super has recently granted an Xesse or that that FA has already been challenged in the DC and the state lost (meaning the licence was granted after the court hearing).

Really ? The Xesse is considered restricted because it can take a 10 round mag ? So what about 6 shot revolvers that are plugged ? Semi auto shotguns pluggged ? Madness.....Has a pistol with a mag well that can only hold a five shot mag even been made !!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Has a pistol with a mag well that can only hold a five shot mag even been made !!!

Short answer ....NO! Simply because the rest of the World,well apart from North Korea,the UK and other enlightned handgun free places doesnt consider it a serious problem whether you have 5 or 10 .22 rounds in your pistol or whether you have 6.10 or 8 shots in your .22 wheelgun.
    WE OTOH in Ireland MUST be different,and restrict our mags to 5 shots...:rolleyes:
    However we are a market of a subparticle size on the electron of an atom in the global market for handguns that no sane gunmaker is going to make a dedicated 5 shot pistol in.22.
    Why blocking a mag to 5 shots is not an option here for AGS I just dont know,especially if you are importing the thing from the word go!:rolleyes:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement