Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ordinary level Leaving Cert French Help please urgent!!!

• 21-05-2014 5:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

Hi guys I just recently moved to pass french and I wanna get at least an A2 in it but I have no idea what to study since the difference is huge in HL and OL & most of the resources on internet are for higher so...For grammar I am guessing the basic tenses present past future conditional and imperfait should I learn anymore? and how should I approach the rest of the sections especially what vocab to learn? Please help me out, already so stressed and this thing is stressing me even more! :( need to study for the rest of the subjects as well sigh

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭andyman

Examinations.ie > exam material archive.

You'll get all the past papers there to give you an idea of the layout of the paper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38 Claregirl5

Hi!
    First of all, no need to panic.

You just need to familiarise yourself with the Ordinary level paper which consists of:
    4 Reading Comprehensions (2 to be answered in English, 2 in French)
    2 Written Production questions and
    the Listening comprehension.

As far as the Written Production is concerned, I would advise you to do the gap text (Section A, (a) - Filling Gaps) and the Postcard (Section B, (b)). Each item is marked out of 30.

The vocabulary and the tenses you need to know to write the Postcard are the ones you needed for the Junior Cert (Present, Past and Future). Stick to the guidelines and do not elaborate. You get 15 marks for Communication (ie mentioning the guidelines) and 15 for your Language (grammar, vocabulary).

As for the Listening Comprehension, most questions are MCQs, with only one question per section requiring a short answer.

Hope this helps.
    Bonne chance,
    C.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Atomiccow

Are there any particular topics that are common enough on the French HL in regards to the written section?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 ItIsThatGirl

Hey :) I'm doing Ordinary Level French for my leaving cert too, so don't worry haha! It's quite easy once you know what to study for - you don't have to do any of those long essays like you do in Higher Level - however, you will have to write a postcard or a note. Nothing too hard right? You should study verbs though because you will need to say things like 'I went ' and 'I'm going' etc etc...Oh and learn about the weather! That's all I guess :3

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭3raser10

thanks a lot guys! :) the only section that really worries me is the listening since I am really bad at it since the start, so for that is all that I shud do is practise? & honestly I am probably gonna get time to study for french only after doing my english and maths exam :/ is that too risky?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Did you do your oral at OL?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭vamos!

Oral is common level and is weighted differently for results purposes (25% HL, 20% OL). OP- Journal Intime is similar. Tenses are similar. The cloze text section assesses competence in grammar which you should have if you did higher or so long. You should have loads of time to do the formulaire option too. These are often based around a job application so look over vocab to describe your personality and qualities and reasons why you would want to apply for certain jobs. Have a look at the papers and marking scheme. You haven't wasted your time learning vocab. The tape is the same with slightly easier questions or answers which require less detail. Check out the marking schemes on examinations.ie and do a few papers. Getting an A2 won't be easy. How do feel your oral went?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 ItIsThatGirl

Why don't you use duolingo ? You can practice listening and hearing for free there, my school uses it all the time because we find it really helpful :3

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Make very sure you know the layout of the OL paper and the various options you must answer. You'll be fine.

Advertisement