Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

International Driving License for tourist?

Options
  • 21-05-2014 6:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭

Hi I've an irish driving license. The AA website that issues IDL's say it's advisory for Oz.
    Do you really need one to hire a car?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

kaisersoze wrote: »
    Hi I've an irish driving license. The AA website that issues IDL's say it's advisory for Oz.
    Do you really need one to hire a car?
    Thanks
    No, Irish is fine (well it was for me in both NZ & OZ a few years ago)

• Registered Users Posts: 48 MandiT

What part of Australia are you visiting? While driving laws may vary from state to state, in New South Wales you can drive with your Irish/overseas licence, and I'd say you'd be ok elsewhere as long as your visit is short term.

I can't post URLs as I'm a newbie but if you Google "Driving in NSW with an overseas licence" you should land on the NSW Roads and Maritime website's page on this topic :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

MandiT wrote: »
    What part of Australia are you visiting? While driving laws may vary from state to state, in New South Wales you can drive with your Irish/overseas licence, and I'd say you'd be ok elsewhere as long as your visit is short term.

I can't post URLs as I'm a newbie but if you Google "Driving in NSW with an overseas licence" you should land on the NSW Roads and Maritime website's page on this topic :)

It's all on the FAQ, you will be fine

• Registered Users Posts: 39,336 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

IDLs are a scam imo. I'd be surprised if it was accepted anywhere that an regular irish full wasn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭ShatterProof

Mellor wrote: »
    IDLs are a scam imo. I'd be surprised if it was accepted anywhere that an regular irish full wasn't.

And issued by the AA

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭ifeelill

Mellor wrote: »
    And issued by the AA

963153-its_a_conspiracy.jpg

Advertisement