Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HL or OL Maths

• 21-05-2014 7:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 100 ✭✭

Hi all,

Long story short, I'm really nervous about Maths HL. With my other subjects I should be covered points-wise but my top course needs Maths HL. I got 39.7% in the DEB Mock, but my teacher was no help at all. He hadn't covered most of paper 2 (completely skipped the theorems) and made us do it and the week before the mock he gave everyone Q8 because he was afraid everyone would fail (I didn't get the Question). Half the class failed,literally and I'm the only one not getting grinds. Of the 24 lads in my class 6 have dropped. I need at least a C3 for my course and I'm afraid I won't even get this. Just need your opinion and I would appreciate it if you tell me what you got in the mock and what your hoping to get/got in Maths.

Also, I found that mock hard enough, doable but hard. Did anyone think it was easy/ far off what we should expect. We only got the papers in January and I tested myself with the 2014 SEC Sample Paper 1 and got 74% but In the Mocks I got 36% in Paper 1 and 44% in Paper 2 (Didn't even look at this paper)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭AtomicKoala

I got 39.7% in the DEB Mock, but my teacher was no help at all. He hadn't covered most of paper 2 (completely skipped the theorems) and made us do it and the week before the mock he gave everyone Q8 because he was afraid everyone would fail (I didn't get the Question). Half the class failed,literally and I'm the only one not getting grinds. Of the 24 lads in my class 6 have dropped. I need at least a C3 for my course and I'm afraid I won't even get this. Just need your opinion and I would appreciate it if you tell me what you got in the mock and what your hoping to get/got in Maths.

Also, I found that mock hard enough, doable but hard. Did anyone think it was easy/ far off what we should expect. We only got the papers in January and I tested myself with the 2014 SEC Sample Paper 1 and got 74% but In the Mocks I got 36% in Paper 1 and 44% in Paper 2 (Didn't even look at this paper)

39.7% in that horrible mock would never be a fail in the real thing. I'd imagine you might hit a low C or high D if the SEC corrected it. Do not drop to OL for fear of failing, because you should not be afraid.

The issue is not you failing - but getting a C3 is the issue, am I right?

Also, I firmly believe if you got a B3 in the 2014 Sample Paper, that you'll get your C3 at the very least. Maths is not English, your results don't fluctuate massively in proper exams (the DEB exam was unfairly difficult, certainly the marking scheme was).

Learn your theorems. Learn your statistical terms. Make sure you know the basics. And post here in August to tell us how you got on :)

Good look in June!

EDIT: For the record, I got an A2 in it. Mostly because I got a lot of 25s in the short questions - just one mistake would cost weaker students 5 or 10 marks, I didn't really have this problem. Indeed I think there were more Bs and Ds in my class than Cs - the low B students like you got screwed over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 594 ✭✭✭d1234

This is the way that I view the whole higher vs lower maths debate:

Entire paper = 600 marks

You will have 12 'short' questions worth 25m =300m
    6 'long' questions on average worth 50m = 300m

A pass (40%) in higher means you need to get at least 240m

240/24 (i.e. the number of questions 12 short @ 25m and 6 long=12 short = 24)
    = 10

What does this mean?

1. 10 out of 25 means a pass for the short questions - are you getting at least 10 per question?
    2. 20 out of 50 means a pass for a long question worth 50m - are you getting at least a total of 60m on the long qs per paper? i.e. 120m for long qs in total?

If you are above this, do higher. If not, ordinary. Simple as.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 165 ✭✭MikeSD

I got 49 % in two different mocks. I'm going to stick at HL because I feel I might need the points. I've worked so hard at maths this year. I can't drop now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

MikeSD wrote: »
    I got 49 % in two different mocks. I'm going to stick at HL because I feel I might need the points. I've worked so hard at maths this year. I can't drop now.

49% is not a bare pass and the fact you've done it in two different mocks means you can pass HL Maths.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 165 ✭✭MikeSD

spurious wrote: »
    49% is not a bare pass and the fact you've done it in two different mocks means you can pass HL Maths.

Thanks for the support.

• Advertisement
Advertisement