Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Safe lining

Options
  • 21-05-2014 8:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭

Anyone know of anything that can be used to line a safe?

Got a new safe but keeping 2 rifles and a shotgun in it will be tight and id like to line the walls of the safe with something to keep the guns from rubbing and scratching off the metal..

Cheaper the better..

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Thin lining of foam (preferably hydrophobic) and a can of spray glue (like the ones used for upholstery).

spray-adhesive2134.jpg

The foam, depending on which you go for, could be expensive enough. I recommend hydrophobic so it will not absorb dampness/condensation if the room/safe is cold or during winter months. However if the room/safe is well ventilated or heated then regular foam will do.

There really is not much to it. By that i mean no need to over think it with complex solutions like i did. In the end i used a thin layer (10mm) foam that came with a gun i bought as the room the gun safes are in is keep at a constant temperature (radiators) and i have a dehumidifier in there too.

This is as much for the guns as the foam in the safe, not to mention all the other items i keep in the room. If the room is damp then my rests, cases, accessories, etc will be destroyed. Not having that.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Or, line the guns - go to Dunnes/Pennys/whomever, buy the largest pair of jeans you can find, cut off the legs at the crotch, sew the ankles shut, now you have two sleeves to put over the rifles before putting them in the safe.

Might not work so well for scopes though, but that can't be that hard to solve with a bolt of material and a sewing machine...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Was thinking of using laminate wood flooring underlay. Decided im not too bothered about how it looks and its not too thick to take up room.

http://www.irishflooring.ie/product_info.php?cPath=654_1136_1164&products_id=7209

Seems fairly cheap and the room is constant temperature with no dampness or condensation. Ill have some silica gel in there too for good measure.

Didnt think of using spray glue like that. must stock up on some, cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭reniwren

I leave mine in their slips

Advertisement