Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How much do you haggle?

• 21-05-2014 9:00pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

When buying a car I think we've all haggled. When buying anything over €500 for sure.

But something that's priced €50? Would you try?

I think when buying more than one thing in a shop, say two shirts, we'd look for a discount too. But in a charity shop? Surely no one ever has?

How much do you haggle?

How much do you haggle? 114 votes

Never
    0% 0 votes
    Rarely
    28% 33 votes
    When the item is 500 euros or more
    31% 36 votes
    When the item is a thousand euros or more
    12% 14 votes
    When the item is 5 thousand euros or more
    2% 3 votes
    I haggle a lot, depends on the item(s)
    0% 0 votes
    I haggle on everything, charity shops excluded
    22% 26 votes
    I haggle on everything, charity shops included
    1% 2 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭Muise...

Not at all. I find it excruciatingly embarrassing and prefer to see a price tag and pay that much if I think it's fair. If not, I move on. Chatting someone up is a straightforward breeze in comparison. :)

According to Cries of Retail there are in fact plenty of people who would haggle in charity shops

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

F*ck.

I forgot the poll :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭jellyboy

il give you 20 euro to close this thread …

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭Muise...

IvaBigWun wrote: »
    F*ck.

I'll give you two options for it. :D

• Advertisement

F*ck.

il give you 15 not to put a poll up

jellyboy wrote: »
    il give you 20 euro to close this thread …

Im afraid Im going to need a minimum of 2 grand.

Back to you

il give you 15 not to put a poll up

3 grand.

Back to you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

When the groove takes me baby I can haggle all night.

I can also wiggle, waggle and do the mash potato.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Depends. If its a private seller you may as well haggle over something worth 20 quid. But when dealing with businesses, I'd only ever bother on large electronic items. There no real culture of it here. Was at autojumble recently and when I offered the guy 5 quid less than what had on the sticker, he looked at me like I was speaking Japanese.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

All the time. But only when the person in the store has the ability to offer a discount. I cringe when I see some stingy **** haggling with a retail assistant, who cant give a discount. She isnt paid €8,65 to take some pricks abuse for a few euros

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

I love a haggle, me. Either as the haggler or the hagglee. I think it's quite a shame there's not more of a haggling culture in Ireland.

But know when and where to haggle. If you're in a big chain store or something don't make some poor kids job harder by trying to get them to drop money off something. Most of the time they couldn't even if they wanted to. Don't be that person.

bluewolf wrote: »
    According to Cries of Retail there are in fact plenty of people who would haggle in charity shops

No shame

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,186 ✭✭✭dee_mc

I'll politely ask for discount, mostly on electricals and furniture etc but if i feel something is overpriced I'll ask for a small reduction. People ask me for discount every day in the shop i work in, so it feels sort of natural to haggle a bit when I'm shopping!

3 grand.

Back to you
    Look boss,i give you my daughter and 5 grand ..

i won't go no higher…

Look boss,i give you my daughter and 5 grand ..

i won't go no higher…

7 grand, no daughter and your car

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

bluewolf wrote: »

Haggling in charity shops is expected. If you don't haggle the old ladies scoff scorn and point as your leaving.

my car ..3 crooked bananas ..

A scabby cat

And 8 grand

ps,scabby is the cats name

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭Hotale.com

F*ck.

Add one? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

I never used to, but my husband shamelessly haggles. He will always ask for a discount, and is successful a lot of the time. I'm not as brazen as he is, but if I'm buying in bulk I always do.

People tend not to ask in chain stores, as they presume the person on the till has no authority to give a discount, but just this week I asked for a discount in Tiger as I was buying 20 of the same small item, and the young guy straight away gave me 10% off.

It's worth asking!

• Advertisement

Hotale.com wrote: »
    Add one? :p

You cant once the thread is published

my car ..3 crooked bananas ..

A scabby cat

And 8 grand

ps,scabby is the cats name

No cat, no daughter, your car, 9 grand and a shot of your missus if she's 7 out of 10 or higher

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Never, I'd be **** at it. My mother basically haggles for everything, and is amazing at it. Also no hospital waiting lists for her etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭Hotale.com

You cant once the thread is published

You can I think, in thread tools or something. I added one after posting a few days ago I think..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Reformed Character

When buying a car I think we've all haggled. When buying anything over €500 for sure.

But something that's priced €50? Would you try?

I think when buying more than one thing in a shop, say two shirts, we'd look for a discount too. But in a charity shop? Surely no one ever has?

How much do you haggle?

I have my own business so I have to haggle endlessly because customers insist on doing it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

For clothes I like to go to sole traders rather than big department stores. I tend to wait until I need to buy a few items and always ask will they give me money off if I buy a few things.

I won't haggle per se, just ask politely for some money off. They give me a few quid off all the time.

Win win. They're happy with the business, I'm happy to get a few quid back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭SoulTrader

Erm, does using Priceline count? They never accept my offers.

Also no hospital waiting lists for her etc.

How does she do that?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

How does she do that?

Calls and beats them down steadily with her words. It may take 2 or 3 calls if they are strong. It's unreal to watch people haggle or get their way. Recently my brother had an appointment in hospital for next year...he saw the head of the department personally in a few days...I couldn't do something like that.

Hotale.com wrote: »
    You can I think, in thread tools or something. I added one after posting a few days ago I think..

*Mind blown*

Poll added

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,186 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Haggling in a charity shop is so wrong, but I've witnessed it so many times considering i spend so little time in charity shops. I guess people go in with the mindset that charity begins at home!

I wonder how many suspect charity shop managers take their pick of the best stuff before putting it on the shelves?

Quite a few Id say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭stimpson

I love a good haggle. I always do research online and go in armed with the facts. A simple "What's your best price on that?" can work wonders. I got €180 off a Telly at Christmas because it was cheaper in Richer Sounds. The same place gave me a bundle deal on a fridge freezer and tumble dryer last year saving €200. All for just asking for a discount.

I bought a new house about 10 years ago and went around with a clipboard and I didn't buy any big ticket items without at least 10% off. Only the carpet people gave me a hard time. They ended up taking 12.5% off and free delivery. You don't need to be a dick about it and I've had salesmen get short with me, but that's their problem. If I can save a few bob elsewhere I will, but they get a chance to make a sale. Some profit is better than no profit.

I'm currently playing 2 brokers off against each other for car insurance. I'm €150 up on my renewal already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Zed Bank

Do people actually haggle in shops? Really? Only time I would ever dream of it if I was buying something off donedeal or a friend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

I'll haggle till the end of time, and as I proceed to exit without my discount, I'll get to the exit and if nothing is said, I will walk back and take the best offer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭Wazdakka

Different levels really...

If I'm buying a car or a bike, yea absolutely.. Within reason.

Also, If I was buying something electronic, I'd generally give a local "Brick and mortar" shop the opportunity to match a price that I've found the same item online for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭stimpson

I'll haggle till the end of time, and as I proceed to exit without my discount, I'll get to the exit and if nothing is said, I will walk back and take the best offer.

I like your style, dude.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

Once when I was about 17 I wanted a pair of runners which were £20 and I was a few pence short. I asked if I could have them for something like £19.45 and the cashier said yes.

That was over 20 years ago. I haven't asked for a discount in a shop since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

I don't haggle, because it does my head in when people try it with me.

Our most expensive item is 45 euro, and I have the authority to throw something specific in for free with it. Still that's not enough for people. They want another fiver off because 'ah sure youre making a fortune here.' No I'm fcuking not, my boss is, you thick cnut.

Hmmmm. Do you ask them for your dignity back too? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭EyeSight

Zed Bank wrote: »
    Do people actually haggle in shops? Really? Only time I would ever dream of it if I was buying something off donedeal or a friend.

You would be surprised how often. I blame those morning/afternoon talk shows where a savy chick gives advice to people and tells everyone how you're expected to haggle everywhere :rolleyes:
    Maybe in car dealers and some electronics stores, but not in high street stores. Head office(usually in the UK)set the prices you would get fired for giving a discount for no good reason

Wish I had access to cries of retail. Some of the things i've seen....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Depends on where really. Harvey normans are willing to haggle, for example, but gamestop wouldn't be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

I would give them a chance to match the lowest price I found or if I was buying a fridge and freezer together. Although Im not that prick that tries to get a discount when you can tell the person there doesnt have that kind of power.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭murray.eoghan

i would haggle most things, but definitely NOT charity shops.

cloud493 wrote: »
    Depends on where really. Harvey normans are willing to haggle, for example, but gamestop wouldn't be.

Id say Harvey Norman, and other outlets like them, are smart enough to build 10% into the asking price to let customers feel as though they're getting a good deal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

Hmmmm. Do you ask them for your dignity back too? ;)

Dignity is something I will always have, even if I lose the haggle, but ye got to haggle. The retail store gets a sale and you get a deal, I can't see anything better than this outcome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

I hate it and never do it. My wife is terrifyingly Olympic standard at getting prices knocked down, stuff replaced and getting deals though.

So I retain my dignity but enjoy the collateral savings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭umop.episdn

strobe wrote: »
    I love a haggle, me. Either as the haggler or the hagglee. I think it's quite a shame there's not more of a haggling culture in Ireland.

But know when and where to haggle. If you're in a big chain store or something don't make some poor kids job harder by trying to get them to drop money off something. Most of the time they couldn't even if they wanted to. Don't be that person.

Don't haggle in a big chainstore, but do in a small independent retailer? ...that's the person you shouldn't be for future reference

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭EyeSight

Don't haggle in a big chainstore, but do in a small independent retailer? ...that's the person you shouldn't be for future reference
    I don't condone it, but:
    independent stores are usually more flexible and the owner is usually there and willing to get/keep customers.
    A big chain has an office somewhere determining prices, they track every penny and are usually very inflexible. Every discount needs a reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭umop.episdn

EyeSight wrote: »
    I don't condone it, but:
    independent stores are usually more flexible and the owner is usually there and willing to get/keep customers.
    A big chain has an office somewhere determining prices, they track every penny and are usually very inflexible. Every discount needs a reason.

Independent stores work on the tightest of margins & have to eke out a living. People don't haggle in Harvey Norman for prices, but buy there. When things go wrong who do they turn to for advice?, the local retailers who have the knowledge & experience.
    The Harvey Norman business model will only work for as long as it's creditors allow, hopefully the smaller stores will benefit from this in the medium to long term

People don't haggle in Harvey Norman for prices

People haggle all the time in Harney Norman and, as Ive said, I suspect that HN are smart enough to build a "discount" into the price. So HN end up getting what they wanted for the item anyway

• Advertisement
Advertisement