Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to achieve something

• 21-05-2014 9:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone. i am wondering if someone can help with the following:

I have a macbook air which has windows installed. I want to be able to use it "docked" on my work table at times and was wondering the easiest/fastest/less hassle way to do it.

Ideally, i want to be able to do the following:

Click on a .bat or program which will then do the following:

1.Mirror display via hdmi to monitor (with sound)
    2. connect bluetooth keyboard and mouse to be used at same time
    3. Set the laptop to not go to sleep when lid is closed
    4. Use the laptop like a pc then while in a corner, with the only cable out of it - the hdmi cable.
    5. when i am done, click on the same program or other bat file to put it back to lcd display, disconnect bluetooth and sleep when lid closes.

would that be possible?how would i set about doing it?

Thanks for any directions

Spipov

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

In a text editor
    type in the commands to do steps 1,2 and 3 one command per line.
    On the next line type pause.
    Then on the subsequent lines type the commands to achieve step 5 one command per line.

Save it as a .bat file.

Clicking on the .bat file will open a command prompt window and execute the first set of commands then it will display

'Press any key to continue....'

You can then minimise the command prompt window and do whatever you want to do.

When finished bring the command prompt window back up and press any key. It will then execute the commands for step 5 and close.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭Spipov

do you know where i would be able to learn which commands would do the above, or where to read up on them/about them?

thanks for the help already with the above

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Switching video input is likely to be the most hassle, I think.

Powershell is going to be much more versatile than standard command prompt stuff for this - see here for some info on how to change the power settings. You should be able to change the behaviour on closing the lid here, but I'm not certain.

For changing the display input - so long as the behaviour on closing the lid is set correctly, I'd have thought that closing the lid should trigger an automatic change on the display driver, but if not you can look at Ultramon which is apparently good for this stuff.

Not sure about bluetooth though.

Advertisement