Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Guardian Vessel" in the docks ?

Options
  • 21-05-2014 9:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭

I was driving past the docks around 20.30 and the vessel was tied up opposite the dockgate building. The words guardian vessel in big lettering on the side of the vessel. Looks a bit like a converted trawler. Any one any idea what its about ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

I reckon its about 40000 tons.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,418 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Are you sure it doesn't say "Guard Vessel"? Such vessels protect the likes of off-shore platforms from the likes of collision hazards - ships that are adrift, containers that have been lost overboard, etc. Sometimes there will be two operating together, where they will double as supply ships, with one on station while the other will do a supply run.

Is it something like this? http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/details/ships/312132000/vessel:ATLANTIC_GUARDIAN

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭westgolf

@ victor, could be, was driving so just glanced over at the vessel ?

@ gctest, thought of that too but seems to be too high on the rear and sides for that, tugs would normally have a clear deck working area whereas this one had a high railing to the side and rear ?

westgolf

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

It says 'Guard Vessel'.

It's a trawler that was bought in Cork and is being converted to a charter / guard vessel.

Normally, the role of a guard vessel is to protect certain sites / structures ie. protect oil rig from other boats / floating debris etc. From a charter point-of-view, an example would be for surveying etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,959 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

It says both "Ocean Guardian" (big letters) and "Guard Vessel" (smaller letters). I'll take a pic if it's still there and light enough next time I'm down there.

It says both "Ocean Guardian" (big letters) and "Guard Vessel" (smaller letters). I'll take a pic if it's still there and light enough next time I'm down there.

Other way around :)

Ocean Guardian is the name of the vessel (small letters), and then 'GUARD VESSEL' is in big letters

• Registered Users Posts: 10,458 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

There ye go!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭vulcan57

Seen it the other day when I was there to get some pics of the big Norwegian Trawler that was in. Couldn't get a decent picture as there were cars on the quay beside it. The words Guard Vessel weren't on the other side.

vulcan57 wrote: »
    Seen it the other day when I was there to get some pics of the big Norwegian Trawler that was in. Couldn't get a decent picture as there were cars on the quay beside it. The words Guard Vessel weren't on the other side.

They're on both sides now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

JohnCleary wrote: »
    They're on both sides now

Bloody vandals

• Registered Users Posts: 10,458 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Bit of spare paint left over from the Pink Boat.

Advertisement