Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Dublin Zoo or Fota Wildlife park better for family visit?

Options
  • 21-05-2014 9:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭

Hi folks
    just a looking for an experienced advice on Fota Wildlife park & Dublin Zoo.

I know this question is asked about 3 years ago but it`s been a while both place could developed and furnished better.

I would like to take the family(2 kids) to Dublin Zoo or Fota Wildlife park for a nice weekend out.(depends weather)

I `ve visited to Dublin Zoo in 2008,it was good but never been in Cork Fota so far.. I am a bit indecisive to choose . :(

Which of them have more animals or kids would have more fun than other.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Fota is way better.
    We live nearer to Dublin so go to Dublin Zoo regularly but Fota would be my preference. There are more animals roaming free and the kids love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

Fota wins by a mile - waaay better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Fota, no question.

Dublin zoo is much improved in recent years, but it is still fairly zoo-like with animals in enclosures. Fota is more open, some animals are on the paths, it's much more fun. We live nearby and got a family pass. we are there at least twice a month, the kids never get tired of it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

Hey pwurple. Is fota in general quite busy on a Sunday?

I have the young lads birthday coming up in a few weeks and the OH wants to bring him to Dublin zoo. It'll take an hour to get there with no traffic from my place so I may just surprise them and take a longer trip down to Fota instead as we've never been there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

I disagree. I vsitited fota a few years ago and was very disappointed by the lack of variety of animals, it was much smaller than I thought, and the layout, I thought it was very rough and ready and needed to be tidied up (maybe it has been since then?)

I think Dublin zoo is excellent in comparison.

I presume both will be equally busy on a Sunday, plus many schools will be on holidays soon.

If you are going for the weekend to fota, a friend of mine stayed in the fota resort hotel about 4 weeks ago and said that the quality was very poor. She had stayed there before and really liked it but said that it is under new management now and the service was very bad.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 483 ✭✭daveohdave

If the last time you visited Fota was a few years ago, you're not really qualified to comment. It's changed a massive amount in that time. As has Dublin, for that matter.

OP, I love both dearly, but Fota is way better for kids. It's much more open for running around, older kids get a kick out of the cheetah run, and younger kids absolutely love the (three!) playgrounds, particularly the ridiculously tall giraffe slide.

Dublin is better for the range of animals, but most kids wouldn't notice the difference, and Fota is currently adding new animals (tigers.this summer!). And to be fair to Dublin, the restaurant is better too. Fota still wins hands-down for kids though.

EDIT: Both are _very_ busy at weekends, although Fota handles the crowds better. If you're having food there, have it outside peak times, or bring a picnic.

I have never been to Fota and so I can not comment on a comparison of the two. All I can comment on is that my relatively recent visit to the zoo - and one a few years before - is an experience I will never ever now repeat again. It was simply horrifically bad. It was over priced - though getting the ticket involved over 25 minutes of queuing. Many enclosures were empty - the explanations for which were often absent or - where present - very short. And of course there was no indication of which things were present or absent at the door _before_ you paid to go in - so if there are a particular set of animals you want to see I advise asking outright at the ticket desk.

And many enclosures we were assured were populated appeared to be empty. I have seen it joked on this forum that Dublin Zoo has a great business plan - in that all you have to do is put up some encloures - stick a little poster on the outside of it talking about some animal - but you do not actually have to populate anything with any real animals. People will read the poster - stare into the empty enclousure for 2 minutes - at which point their lack of attention span will take over and they will move on.

And what animals I did see simply appeared to be miserable and lethargic.

I would much much prefer to visit the open working farm in Donabate - much more fun and a snip at under 5euro - and has a free and very modern play ground and grilling area outside - and the snacks and stuff are the same price in the kiosk as I am used to in my corner shop at home unlike the inflated prices of what you purchase in the zoo (bring your own is my advice) - than ever return to that zoo again.

All that said - some people seem to love it. Subjective opinions differ as we all know - and even though I have been twice with some gap between visits - timing is everything and perhaps I simple got massively unlucky - twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Staplor

How old are the kids, if they're bigger then I think the zoo is better because you can make it educational and they read and learn about more animals.

Fota is more craic though especially with the Mara's legging it all around. I was also in Tayto Park last year, they have a small animal section but you can get right up close and personal to some animals. That was excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I love zoos cause I love animals but the amount of playgrounds in Dublin Zoo is slightly annoying they should cater more for us grown ups! Decent restaurant that serves alcohol maybe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Fota is busy enough on a sunday, but it is very big, there's loads of room for everyone.

How small are the kids? What we do with very small children is walk down past the reptile/butterfly place to the big playground at the cafe. Play there, and then get on the little train back up.

With bigger children we walk the whole way past all the monkeys and the seal. That bit with the sea eagle and seal are the worst bit of fota (smallest enclosure) so we don't mind missing them.

Also, if you are around for a while, check out fota gardens and fota house as well. Really nice for a walk and a picnic. Fota house has a nice cafe too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Fiolina

I was at Dublin Zoo last Saturday and I have to say I was massively disappointed. I hadn't been there in about 5 years and was more excited than the kids.
    We walked around the African Plains and only say a couple of Rhinos and zebras. As another poster said, a lot of the enclosures were empty. The poor lion was pacing up and down and looked miserable. The monkeys must have been having an off day too because they were nowhere to be seen. The kids were more impressed with the crows and seagulls than anything.

I have been to Fota about 3 years ago and have to say it was amazing. There is a lot of walking but if you get there early enough and bring a picnic you can spend the best part of a day there.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭newbie13

Staplor wrote: »
    How old are the kids,?
    pwurple wrote: »
    How small are the kids? What we do with very small children is walk down past the reptile/butterfly place to the big playground at the cafe. Play there, and then get on the little train back up.

With bigger children we walk the whole way past all the monkeys and the seal. That bit with the sea eagle and seal are the worst bit of fota (smallest enclosure) so we don't mind missing them.

Kids are age with 6 years and 2 years old.(take buggy for her)

I wouldnt mind to drive distance as I am almost same far for both.( CLare)

I am not planning to stay night over, just a day trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Staplor

newbie13 wrote: »
    Kids are age with 6 years and 2 years old.(take buggy for her)

I wouldnt mind to drive distance as I am almost same far for both.( CLare)

I am not planning to stay night over, just a day trip.

Fota plus ferry across to Tarbert

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Fota all the way! I'd go there tomorrow and I don't even have any kids :D

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭witchity2

I'd say Dublin zoo.

I was in Fota (ok it was about 2/3 years go) but i wasnt overly impressed. Unless its changed since then, there are lots of waterways with no barriers and trying to keep an inquisitive toddler away from the water was a nightmare, so depending on the age.

I go to Dublin zoo very regularly and love it. The changes made have been really successful - especially with the gorillas and chimps now in a more natural type environment rather than the old big glass box.

Way more animals, loads of green areas to have picnics/let the kids have a runaround, a new playground (so thats 3 i think) and the farm - my kids love that.

weather promised not to be good for a while in Cork.,:(

They said on Friday that it'd be raining all week. It's been gorgeous most of the time. Went to the beach on Monday!
    witchity2 wrote: »
    I was in Fota (ok it was about 2/3 years go) but i wasnt overly impressed. Unless its changed since then...

Perhaps try reading other people's posts before replying?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

I was in Fota last week with my almost two year old (and a 9 week old) and she absolutely loved it: the animals running around were such a novelty to her and you can buy food there to feed the ducks. She was able to run around and climb back in the buggy when she was tired. She loved finding the animals running around in the open: the lake is open but honestly I've been there loads of times always when busy and never seen even a near miss of a child falling in! I'd definitely go there... Skip the butterfly house if it's busy though. It's impossible with a buggy when it's busy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

i live near fota, and have been there loads of times most recent time was last month, i have been to dublin zoo recently enough too,

i would say Dublin Zoo, my 4 year old loved it because she saw animals she recognised, like the ones in her books, Monkey's, elephants, tigers, snakes, hippo's, lions, cows, pigs...etc and she in general preferred the layout of it as did i. she also loved the reptile house and the farm and the play area with the farm animals, maybe it's because we are bored with Fota we don't like it as much but we had much more fun at dublin zoo.

where as Fota has more animals like meerkats or macaws, lemurs, Oryx's, peacocks,one eagle...etc, while they do have zebra's and giraffes. they are in the same enclosure so younger children may not stay looking for long, although Fota have recently opened a really cool tropical enclosure where you step into a hut where the temperature is kept really high and it had butterflies all flying around you, and creepy crawlies in enclosed glass spaces. the layout isn't great it is smaller than the zoo walking wise,maybe not grounds wise, (but there is a jeep with passenger trailers that you can get a ride in to see everything) and Fota does have three play areas, one with sand floor, a climbing frame with a slide, another with two slides, the other with baby swings and a climbing frame.

of course the animals roaming free is a plus or a negative depending on if your child has a tendency to poke at animals.

when they are older i would say Fota would be better for learning of new animals...etc when the are between 0-7 i would say the zoo is better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭Hotale.com

It's always raining in Ireland, remember? :P

Fota is excellent, I've been there about a dozen times and I've enjoyed it every time (although I was a kid aged about 7 or 8 most of those times). It's in a nice area as well.

I've been to Dublin Zoo as well when I was about 12 and didn't think much of it, was just like a bad version of Edinburgh Zoo with empty enclosures.

Fota is also a far more unique experience than Dublin Zoo, the animals seemed so much happier and the Cheetah Run is probably one of my best childhood memories :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

I love Dublin zoo, I've membership and bring the kids regularly.

Things I like:-

Variety of animals and enclosures
    New animals
    Sea lions feeding time
    Elephant house
    Lots of coffee shops / ice cream stands
    Enough picnic areas
    I think there are four or five play areas?
    New covered play area gives respite from the rain

Things I don't like :- parking and queues (but with the membership you go in your own special gate ��).

Never been to Fota cos I'm a dub and haven't been to Cork since I had kids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

Oceanworld in Dingle is fantastic, too, well worth a visit!

In general, I'd recommend that anyone that hasn't been to either in more than 2 years, should go again. Both venues have changed dramatically in the last two years -- the African Plains in Dublin are incredible, and the general management of Fota has come on leaps and bounds. Dublin can only get better as they shift focus back into the old section of the Zoo, and Fota is in the midst of implementing a major new Asian section. They're both doing great work, and should be commended for it.

No, I don't have an agenda, I'm just a fan. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭AlanG

Both are good but Dublin Zoo has much more variety to offer. In my opinion its really good value as you can get a full day out easy. You will be doing well to cover everything. With young kids you will probably get just as much out of Fota as the amount of time you need to really appreciate the variety in Dublin Zoo is usually beyond their limits so people end up rushing around and skipping some of the areas.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I took my kids to Fota last August naively expecting a safari type adventure - and found a spread-out zoo. That said, it was good zoo, and if you got the weather great for a picnics and generally lounging about. There's more green areas than Dublin Zoo. Also agree to stay away from the Fota Resort - stay somewhere else and drive there.

But if the weather is dodgy, Dublin Zoo is better as it has the better animals to keep you amused, and much less trekking about.

They're both excellent in their own way. I'd consider which one to visit on the basis of what else is around to do see. Dublin = city, Fota = picturesque location.

Thank you very much to all of your positive & negative comments(feedback) on both locations. Just looking for a good weather with four eyes open to go to the FOTA first then Dub.Zoo in the future...

Thanks again,..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

I was at the zoo last may (on a sunny sunday) and it was mayhem. Was so busy hardly seen anything and felt so cramped and crowded. Went again a few weeks ago on a weekday and it was much better. I think we actually git to see everything including sea lion feeding which was great. My 2 yr old really enjoyed it as did we. And had a great time at the mini farm.

We also went to fota last june and she loved that. She was a bit younger but loved the wide open space and the fact the animals roaming free. Although she was a bit brave and kept getting very close to the kangaroo and ducks.
    Will prob take a trip down over the summer too.

Just realised that wasnt very helpful tbh. As both get my vote.

Oh tayto park is great too but your 2 year old might be a little young for alot of it. From what i remember from last aug..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Having been to both more times than I can count, I personally prefer Dublin Zoo, better variety and it too has zebra and giraffes together roaming around with a few ostriches. But some people like Fota more as it is more compact which works better with young kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭Karmella

Another vote for Fota here, we have the yearly pass so would go quite regularly, think its better for smaller kids (son is 3) because its more compact than Dublin.

Small fella absolutely loves the penguins, the kangaroos, giraffes and the cheetahs. and the playgrounds.

Went to Dublin last year for a little family day trip (up & down on the train aswell), when he was 2(& 9 mths). It was a very quiet day, we nearly had the whole place to ourselves! I hadn't been to the zoo in about 15 years and knew it had been upgraded, but still I found that it was too big and full of concrete enclosures and the animals are way too good at hiding! So yes the African plains section is lovely, and our son got much better mileage out of the penguin enclosure than the Fota one - mostly because you can see them swimming around in their pool, but other than that I think I'd have been really disappointed if I'd spent good money to get in there (with the yearly pass for Fota you can get into the Zoo with it aswell).

The elephant enclosure is a joke because they are too far away and unless they wander out to a particular spot you can't actually see them. The tiger was hiding, the lions were hiding. The reptile house was really dull, nothing really exotic! The orang-utans were also too far away. Maybe we were just spoilt by the fact that everything is a lot closer in Fota. I've been to a lot of zoos in other cities/countries and I just found Dublin to be very disappointing. They need to get rid of all the concrete - it just looks really soulless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Not that one

Not fully relevant, but we have found Belfast Zoo better than Dublin Zoo, slightly smaller but closer to animals and not as crowded.

Advertisement