Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Dublin Zoo or Fota Wildlife park better for family visit?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭hillbloom

I am going there next week for 2 days & bringing my 2 year old child. I am wondering if the area is concreted or is it rough & gravely? Would I need to bring the BUGGY or would the STROLLER be OK. The grounds would need to be smooth for the stroller as it is very light. The buggy is big & awkward but would be more comfortable for the child. Would anyone be able help me decide which to bring? Thanks a mill!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

The surfaces in Fota are a bit of a mixture, mostly quite good concrete or tarmac but there are areas of light gravel, no really nasty knobbly stuff. However, I was there in January and there was a lot of storm damage down near the gibbons and flamingos. There are also a few cattle grids and some place you might want to go on the grass to get closer to the beasties.
    Personally I'd go for the lighter kit but I can't really advise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I don't have a stroller, but I have a buggy with a buggy board. We are members of fota, so go a good bit. I find the buggy board can't take the gravelly paths, so tend not to bring it. I'd imagine the stroller might be similar...

How far can your 2 yr old walk?

What we used to do when she was 2ish, was walk from the entrance to the halfway point (by the big playground and the shop)... And then get the minitrain back around to the entrance, past the rest of the animals. That minitrain journey is 1 euro per person and goes every 20 mins or so. And is a great temptation to get them our of the playground. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

I was there last june (2013) and we only had the stroller with us. Daughter was 14 months at the time. Pretty sure we had no issues (that I can remember anyway).

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭elaney

I was in Foto last week and used the stroller. The only place we had a problem with the stroller was going into the samatran tiger area. It is a fair walk down to it and it's all gravel . They are still doing this area up though otherwise no problem at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭LH2013

Fota is brill ! Highly recommended !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

elaney wrote: »
    I was in Foto last week and used the stroller. The only place we had a problem with the stroller was going into the samatran tiger area. It is a fair walk down to it and it's all gravel . They are still doing this area up though otherwise no problem at all.

I forgot about the Tigers, that area was still "about to open" last time I was there so I didn't see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

Thanks for this thread. We love going to foto , we were thinking of going to dublin zoo but its a long way from kerry . I love the way the animals roam around foto . My daughter loves the monkeys . ( very similar )

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭newbie13

yeah, we went to FOTA at the same week TIGER arrived .

It s nice and wide. Most of the animals are free-walks around you. If you have nice buggy you wont have problem pushing it on paths,. My six and 2 years old kids loved it.

Advertisement