Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

graduate readers card.

Options
  • 21-05-2014 10:04pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I have a graduate readers card. Does that let me access the book of Kells?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭innad

Yes it does :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Mr Pseudonym

innad wrote: »
    Yes it does :D

For fwee? I always thought an undergrad student card entitled the holder to free access to The Book along with a number of guests. I just saw a poster saying we're entitled to 10% off. Wtf?

I'd have to dig out the leaflets that came with my readers card, but I'm pretty sure it's free entry, same as the student card.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

10% off is merchandise in the gift shop.
    Tis free to go to the Book of Kells and you can usually bring 3-4 people in with you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Larianne wrote: »
    10% off is merchandise in the gift shop.
    Tis free to go to the Book of Kells and you can usually bring 3-4 people in with you.

Is the book of kells free with an undergraduate card?

• Advertisement

hfallada wrote: »

According to a sign (which I referred to as a "poster" in my previous post) in a window of the Old Library we get ten percent off - big fcuking deal!

hfallada wrote: »

Yes, and you can take three guests with you, too

In light of my post immediately above, are you sure?

Yes. I've gone in several times this year, with guests, for free. The 10% discount refers to the store; entry into the Old Library is free.

Yes, as Larianne above clarified, 10% off is for the gift shop :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

I think you read the sign wrong.

https://www.tcd.ie/alumni/services/library/

innad wrote: »
    Ss Larianne above clarified...

Apologies...I didn't see that post. Thanks for replies.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Does the graduate readers card allow access to online journals?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

No. :(

It does, but only using the designated readers computers in the Berkeley library. There's no off-campus access. Still, better than nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭ravingitup

Just get onto a nice friend who is in Trinity and ask for their username and password, it's a great way around it!

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Unshelved

Also a great way of accessing their email and any other personal data :rolleyes:

IF YOU ARE A TCD STUDENT DO NOT DO THIS.

If a graduate wants to use e-journals then they will need to access them in one of the Libraries.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭ravingitup

Unshelved wrote: »
    Also a great way of accessing their email and any other personal data :rolleyes:

IF YOU ARE A TCD STUDENT DO NOT DO THIS.

If a graduate wants to use e-journals then they will need to access them in one of the Libraries.

Not really. Not if your friend is wise enough to a different password for their e-mail account and well, they are a friend and they trust you, IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Unshelved

ravingitup wrote: »
    Not really. Not if your friend is wise enough to a different password for their e-mail account and well, they are a friend and they trust you, IMO.

From the TCD Network & IT Code of Practice -

In order to use the computing facilities of TrinityCollege a person must first be authorised. Registration grants authorisation to use some or all of the computing and networking facilities of Trinity College. During registration, a username and password will be allocated. These are for the exclusive use of the person applying for use of computing facilities. Unauthorised use must not be attempted, or made, of computing or network resources allocated to another person.
    The user is responsible and accountable for all activities carried out under their username. The password associated with a particular personal username must not be divulged to another person.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

Quick question, prompted by a recent email regarding bringing visitors to the book:
    Trinity College staff and students on production of their current ID can avail of free admission to the Old Library and the Book of Kells exhibition – and can bring in up to 3 guests. The Commercial Director has asked us to make sure that every visitor including staff and students receives a ticket from the ticket desk. This means in the busy period you may have to wait a moment or two in the queue in the shop to the ticket desk. Library Shop staff and Library guards are dealing with up to 3,000 visitors a day and we ask your forbearance during this busy time. There are times when it is simply too busy to let more visitors in – and again we ask that you adhere to the directions of the Library Guards whose primary function is the safety and security of visitors, the collections and the Old Library building.

Would I be right in inferring that students + guests can therefore skip the (sometimes ridiculously long) queue to get in?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Lynchy747

A Neurotic wrote: »
    Quick question, prompted by a recent email regarding bringing visitors to the book:

Would I be right in inferring that students + guests can therefore skip the (sometimes ridiculously long) queue to get in?

Yes, I have done that once before. Once you show your card, the security guard normally will ask you to wait for a sec and then let you through.

You probably know now, given it's two years since you asked :D

Advertisement