Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting in Westport or Castlebar

Options
  • 21-05-2014 10:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭

I am probably moving to either Westport or Castlebar in the next month. I have had a job offer from Allergan and will probably take it.
    I am wondering if anyone has any advice on renting or sharing in either town. I am thinking that I will probably try to live in Westport but I can commute from Castlebar as I have a car.
    Are there any areas that I should look out for in terms of I definitely do/don't want to live in either town.
    I'd like some serious about this and not people slagging off "rival" areas and the other town.
    Other than that if anyone has any other advice on the towns I would be grateful.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Mayo Miss

If I had a choice between the two, Westport would win hands down. The overall atmosphere in the town is much happier. Nightlife is much better too. Plus if you are working in Westport those few minutes extra in bed each morning would be another bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

Westport, for the reasons listed above. I would add that the town council seem far more progressive and are far more active in keeping the town looking good.

Like any small town in Ireland it does have it's problems but it's a much nicer place to spend time that castlebar.

I say this as someone who lives in neither place.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Westport, for the reasons listed above. I would add that the town council seem far more progressive and are far more active in keeping the town looking good.

Like any small town in Ireland it does have it's problems but it's a much nicer place to spend time that castlebar.

I say this as someone who lives in neither place.

the town council will be no more soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Castlebar12

Some great available apartments in Castlebar like Spencer Manor/Park which is lovely, right beside the Mall as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

Rent in Castlebar is cheaper but Westport is much nicer.

Castlebar has more shops etc whereas westport is more touristy.

I don't live in either but live in another nearby town. Personally I'd rather live in Westport than castlebar any day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,988 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Castlebar is a lot cheaper rent wise with lots more places available to rent. Castlebar is also a lot better for shopping with much more variety of shops. Also has cinema/bowling alley which could be handy.
    Westport is probably a nicer town with better pubs and restaurants.
    Recently voted the most expensive town in Ireland though so have your wallet ready!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Castlebar is a lot cheaper rent wise with lots more places available to rent. Castlebar is also a lot better for shopping with much more variety of shops. Also has cinema/bowling alley which could be handy.
    Recently voted the most expensive town in Ireland though so have your wallet ready!

To spend a night, not live.

http://www.thejournal.ie/whats-the-most-expensive-irish-town-to-stay-in-382507-Mar2012/

• Registered Users Posts: 17,988 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

yop wrote: »

True, but house prices are also higher.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Castlebar is only 20 mins away driving (give or take) but tbh I'd try to live in the same place I worked.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

Eh there is no comparison here...sure Westport even won best place in Ireland to live for gods sake

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

MayoSalmon wrote: »
    Eh there is no comparison here...sure Westport even won best place in Ireland to live for gods sake

House prices. Better shopping.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

That was just a survey of hotel prices, not other living costs.

Just shows that for it's size Westport is a popular tourist destination.

Regarding renting in Westport suggest you enquire with local letting agents.

Allergan may also have suggestions. Congrats on your appointment to Allergan. Great place to work, by all accounts over the years

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

nuac wrote: »
    Allergan may also have suggestions. Congrats on your appointment to Allergan. Great place to work, by all accounts over the years

And hoping them vultures Valiant don't get their hands on it :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

Thanks to everyone for all the replies. I'm going to go with Westport. Rent might be a little more expensive but diesel is more expensive if I commute from castlebar. I'm not big into shopping and anything else in castlebar I want is only a short drive anyway and I wouldn't be going every day whereas I will be going to work eeveryday.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Welcome to the Cove. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

MayoSalmon wrote: »

Do you believe everything you read in the papers? I would say Westport for the Summertime buzz, but year round facilities and shopping etc, Castlebar. 20 minute commute though. At least Allergan is on the Castlebar road.

Mod note. : keep it civil and on track. One more step out of line and it will be dealt with.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

Do you believe everything you read in the papers? I would say Westport for the Summertime buzz, but year round facilities and shopping etc, Castlebar. 20 minute commute though. At least Allergan is on the Castlebar road.

Agreed Ballinrobe was robbed:pac::pac:

Advertisement