Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Veg/Fruit/Herbs/etc that grow BEST in Ireland

• 21-05-2014 11:08pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 98 ✭✭

Hello,

In warm and hot countries, they can grow many many plants, beautiful and tasty plants, some with value, and of course because of the sun.

Now, are there any certain herbs,fruits,veg,etc that people can grow in Ireland that HAVE THE BEST BENEFIT BECAUSE of the mild/cold climates.

So, the herb,fruit,veg,etc would grow better in Ireland (reason: rain,cool) -> than warm countries..

Any ideas???

Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,055 ✭✭✭✭josip

Would grass count?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 98 ✭✭Timmehhh

josip wrote: »
    Would grass count?
    ?????? no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 293 ✭✭Souness

Rhubarb and anything that bolts in drought like spinach etc
    But everything pretty much grows better in warmer climates as long as its watered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 225 ✭✭My Potatoes

Timmehhh wrote: »
    So, the herb,fruit,veg,etc would grow better in Ireland (reason: rain,cool) -> than warm countries..
    Potatoes.

Souness wrote: »
    But everything pretty much grows better in warmer climates as long as its watered.

Any positive artificial change to environment factors anywhere in the world will be beneficial. For example, everything pretty much grows better in the Irish climate as long as it has under-soil heating.

• Advertisement

One huge advantage we have here is long hours of daylight during the growing season. People tend to forget this. We've all gone abroad on holidays in June/July, to the Mediterranean, New York, etc, only to be disappointed by the lose of the long evenings. It gets dark around 8pm (depending on the latitude) whereas there are another couple of hours daylight at home. Double that if you include the morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 159 ✭✭Northumbria

Raspberries, rhubarb, gooseberries, chives, leeks, kale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,055 ✭✭✭✭josip

Raspberries, rhubarb, gooseberries, chives, leeks, kale.

Do raspberries really grow better in Ireland than anywhere else?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Dandelion.

Well, the leave is edible isn't it.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Chives and Cabbage/Kale grow best for me.

Strawberrys will grow anywhere too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 159 ✭✭Northumbria

josip wrote: »
    Do raspberries really grow better in Ireland than anywhere else?

They grow better in cooler climates, not specifically Ireland though. The flavour collapses and they go flat tasting in warmer climates such as France. Raspberries and lots of other berries such as blackcurrants and blackberries are grown in Scotland in the UK because of this, the cooler climate and in particular cold nights make the grow slower and concentrate the flavour, keep the acids balanced with the sugars so they're not just sickly sweet but boring tasting.
    Most of the UK berry growing and breeding is in Scotland (look up Tayberries).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭j@utis

I would recommend this book specifically written for the irish gardens:
    41md-9a9RxL._SL500_.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Gautama

Given the OP's interest in fruit and herbs as well as vegetables, and his location, the late Michael Brenock's book may be more appropriate:

51lrBc12GbL.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Gautama wrote: »
    Given the OP's interest in fruit and herbs as well as vegetables, and his location, the late Michael Brenock's book may be more appropriate:

51lrBc12GbL.jpg

I didn't know he had died. I enjoyed his book and got some good advice from him over on gardenplansireland. Very sad news.

http://www.gardenplansireland.com/forum/about7168-30.html

Advertisement