Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wicklow 200 2014

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 326 ✭✭cheerspal

in your opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭michael196

Descending is a skill. Not everyone has the skill to do it competantly at speed.

But it is true, higher speed = higher risk.

Also fat lads descend faster :):eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 209 ✭✭carthoris

michael196 wrote: »

And bounce better :D

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭blackvalley

cheerspal wrote: »
    in your opinion.

Very hard for me to respond to your thoughtful, compelling , well researched and written line of argument there.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

It's fairly easy to determine who doesn't have the descending skill. It's the lads in the ditch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭DaithiMC

Descending is a skill. Not everyone has the skill to do it competantly at speed.

Trouble is the only way to know if you have the skill or not is to end up in a ditch! Absence of such an ending may be as much about luck as skill! My only objection to people flying down hills on these kinds of sportives is the relative lack of appreciation for the lack of skills of others. Flying by novices on tight roads when concentration is focused can cause unintended consequences. Its not any different to having respect for other road users at any other time, IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

I don't....!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 811 ✭✭✭mal1

Lumen wrote: »
    It's fairly easy to determine who doesn't have the descending skill. It's the lads in the ditch.

Lads like Woulter Weylandt?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

mal1 wrote: »
    Lads like Woulter Weylandt?

Low blow in fairness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 811 ✭✭✭mal1

In what way? To make the point that making a condescending general view can insult others? I think its a valid point. Anyone can make a mistake on a downhill. Even me ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭bbolger

historically, what would be a very fast rolling time across the 200 course?

+1 to this question, but I guess it depends on a lot of variables on the day, weather etc.

What (who) Boardsie got around in the quickest time, assuming the number of people breaking 7 hours is usually low?

P.S. I know it's not a race.

bbolger wrote: »
    +1 to this question, but I guess it depends on a lot of variables on the day, weather etc.

What (who) Boardsie got around in the quickest time, assuming the number of people breaking 7 hours is usually low?

P.S. I know it's not a race.

Quick search on strava

http://www.strava.com/segments/wicklow-200-2012-1548498

That's from 2012 - more or less the same as last Sunday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭michael196

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Quick search on strava

http://www.strava.com/segments/wicklow-200-2012-1548498

That's from 2012 - more or less the same as last Sunday

wow 7 hours .

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Pharma

wow 7 hours .

Managed 6:50 yesterday can't post Strava link as I'm a new user but activity no is 150973656

Really enjoyed the climbs.

Gabba WS is perfect for those conditions. Dries on the descents.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭LennoxR

Seven hours is phenomenal on the w200. I presume that's moving time not total time. But anything sub 8 hours moving time is very strong. And with the weather yesterday people would probably have been a bit slower than usual. For 2013 according to strava, the fastest moving time was eight hours and a bit.

Hardly anyone got in before four o'clock yesterday, only 146 out of over 1,500 according to this. And four o'clock would represent nine hours on the road for most people and eight and bit hours moving time.

Last year for instance, in much more favourable conditions, this guy, who is a very strong x country mountain bike racer (currently preparing for the marathon x country European championships), did his best w200 ever time in 7 hours 42 rolling time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Pharma wrote: »
    Managed 6:50 yesterday can't post Strava link as I'm a new user but activity no is 150973656
    http://www.strava.com/activities/150973656

12 year olds trying to average 30kph over that course!

I'm trying to remember my ambitions at age 12. I think I was watching telly and holding out for the astronaut gig.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Pharma wrote: »

Really enjoyed the climbs.

Gabba WS is perfect for those conditions. Dries on the descents.

Great stuff your flying.

You can whistle if you think I'm going around the Knockmealdowns with you!

BTW what did you eat, good breakfast and a few bananas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 429 ✭✭zindicato

ahhh guys stop arguing about descents and such we should be thankful we got home safe, we enjoyed the day and even though the weather was crap and for the new ones who did it well done and congratulations and if your complaining bout how others are riding charge it to experience youll probably scare other newbies next year and they would be the one's writing here complaining too.

On a side note 3 of my mates crashed, one slipped on a manhole cover, second guy somebody decided to pull out in front of him hitting his handle bar, crashed and didnt even bother to stop and help him left him there...... two other cyclists helped him to get back up to continue. whomever you guys are thanks.... Third guy somebody decided to stop on the side of the road without signalling they were in a fast enough group he was the last guy at the back he went over his bars jersey was ripped at the back, swollen knee, scrapes and all and best of all his rear gear changer was gone for the last 50 kms.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭bbolger

LennoxR wrote: »
    Seven hours is phenomenal on the w200. I presume that's moving time not total time. But anything sub 8 hours moving time is very strong. And with the weather yesterday people would probably have been a bit slower than usual. For 2013 according to strava, the fastest moving time was eight hours and a bit.

Hardly anyone got in before four o'clock yesterday, only 146 out of over 1,500 according to this. And four o'clock would represent nine hours on the road for most people and eight and bit hours moving time.

Last year for instance, in much more favourable conditions, this guy, who is a very strong x country mountain bike racer (currently preparing for the marathon x country European championships), did his best w200 ever time in 7 hours 42 rolling time.

I think we got in just before 4.

7h24m rolling for me, with fellow SwordsCC clubmates.

Zindicato, hope your friends are on the mend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

bbolger wrote: »
    I think we got in just before 4.

7h24m rolling for me, with fellow SwordsCC clubmates.

Zindicato, hope your friends are on the mend.

I think, I finished with you and your Swords CC mates.
    You passed me, with about 25k to go, and I managed to board your train.
    Thank you very much. You were flyin'. I was very grateful for the tow.
    My rolling time was 7h49m, a bit slower than last year.

• Advertisement

I think the total time on strava should be taken into account. I see tht guy from 2012 did it in 7:03 with 6:59 moving. Savage.

My time this year was 8:10 moving, 7:49 last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Pharma

ford2600 wrote: »
    Great stuff your flying.

You can whistle if you think I'm going around the Knockmealdowns with you!

BTW what did you eat, good breakfast and a few bananas?

Breakfast yesterday was Wyldsson pro mix gluten free muesli (150g) 200g blueberries and natural yogurt. I was still hungry after it. Normally I'd have had some Bacon but as hotel restaurant wasn't open at 5am I'd to settle for 5 weetabix.

I ate nothing until 125k, when I had to get a powerbar. Then I had two of those muesli bars at Rathdrum that's all. Reckon about 500kcal during ride.

After I ate a lot, there was a guy selling avocado smoothies 3.50 each. I bought and drank 3 of them. He should follow me around like homer and the hot dog man.

Had great lunch in the vegan restaurant the Happy Pear. Stunning.

Evil 200 planned for Saturday after ROK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 218 ✭✭Dipsomaniac

My first w200 yesterday. Really enjoyed it. Was off the bike for a few weeks. Surprising how fast you loose it. Did the 3 day TKAS weekend before as my first days back on the bike. Struggled on some of the climbs yesterday but just tried on hold the wheel of my clubmates going up them.

Stopped in the spar instead of going into the first food stop as the queues were very long when we got there and it was raining. Second stop was much better and great to get a water top up on slieve mann.

Bit of a slog after second food stop but the last 11 KM seemed to turn into a bit of a sprint. Legs were emptied come the end.

Great day on the bike along with a bit of suffering. Food was tasty, marshals were sound and route was easy to follow.

7hrs 33mins rolling time.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭nordicb

Strava stats, rolling time: 7:23, max speed: 79.6 kph...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

Just did the 100 yesterday. I did it in 3hrs 46mins on my cyclocross bike with 28's on it. It was good for me and I was happy enough with that considering the conditions.
    Kudos and respect to anyone who did the 200 regardless of the time that they did it in.
    Just on a side note does anyone know what the story was with all the punctures on the Road through Kilmacanogue towards the long hill. I must have counted about 20 people fixing punctures in about a 3km stretch just after 7.10am. It was really strange to see all of the punctures on such a good stretch of road.
    Thumb tack sabotage perhaps ???

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Sammo13

I was going up there around 7am and there were a few punctures but not as many as you're saying.. In general I thought there was a good few people early in the day with punctures.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Jmcmen

My third W200.
    Thought it was the best yet. Food at the stops and organisation was excellent. Marshells were excellent.
    Throughout the first 30km were hairy, people not respecting one another, passing 2 a breast, bunches passing 3 in a line!!!! I was sure I was going to get swiped off.
    But it calmed down after the first climb.
    Thank god it was not cold like 2011. One other note, and I know the weather had an influence on this, but there was very little chat out of people. Can't blame them but would have liked a but more banter and craic to take my mind off the job at times.

In whole, another wonderful day. Thanks again to all.

Rolling time was 7hrs 18mins so happy enough with that, would have loved to break 7hrs, next year maybe!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Toastbongo

Completed My 4th W200 with my 78 year old father today. We went around at a leasurly pace and completted the course in just over 10 hours rolling time. Very satisfying for both of us and I think an incredible achievment for my father at this age and in these weather conditions. At this age the only way to complete the W200 is at your own pace.

The last time we rode the W200 together was in 1983, the secound time the event was ever run and it pissed rain all day that that day as well. I was 16 years old at the time. Nutts !!!!!

Completed My 4th W200 with my 78 year old father today. We went around at a leasurly pace and completed the course in just over 10 hours rolling time. Very satisfying for both of us and I think an incredible achievment for my father at this age and in these weather conditions. At this age the only way to complete the W200 is at your own pace.

The last time we rode the W200 together was in 1983, the secound time the event was ever run and it pissed rain all day that that day as well. I was 16 years old at the time. Nutts !!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭pedro_colnago

Toastbongo wrote: »
    Completed My 4th W200 with my 78 year old father today. We went around at a leasurly pace and completed the course in just over 10 hours rolling time. Very satisfying for both of us and I think an incredible achievment for my father at this age and in these weather conditions. At this age the only way to complete the W200 is at your own pace.

That's class! Well done to u and your dad, , best sportive post I've read in ages. Superb acheivement to do a cycle like the wicklow 200 at any age not to mind your dads age! That's what getting out on a bike is all about. Great times and more great memories! Fair play!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Arequipa

Morning lads and ladies...
    Day 2 after the Wicklow 200 & still quite tired; found it hard to get out of bed this morning!
    Any of you still tired after Wicklow 200?!

Arequipa wrote: »
    Morning lads and ladies...
    Day 2 after the Wicklow 200 & still quite tired; found it hard to get out of bed this morning!
    Any of you still tired after Wicklow 200?!

Gave the bike a rest yesterday, 20 km commute taken gingerly enough this morning. Feel a bit better today

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭lissard

It was my first time and I found it a tough event. I'd done a couple of sportives this year as a build up (Tour of Wicklow, Orwell Randonnee and Tour de Connemara) but the conditions and the distance made the WW200 far and away the toughest event. I was going fine until the first feed stop but I probably went a bit too fast on the stretch between Hollywood and Baltinglass and paid for it later when I hit Sliamh Mann. My knee started to get sore and there was another 80k to go so I drove as light a gear as possible to keep the pressure off. The feed stops were busy and the food was good, enjoyed the banter with the other riders. On the last stretch it seemed like there would be no end to the hills and rain. None of the hills were particularly steep, it was just hard with over 160k in the legs. On the coast road the sun made a belated appearance and there was a tailwind all the way to the finish. Finished with a smile on my face and rolling time just over 8 hours 40 minutes. Knee really felt sore afterwards but seems to be gradually settling now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

lissard wrote: »
    On the last stretch it seemed like there would be no end to the hills and rain. None of the hills were particularly steep, it was just hard with over 160k in the legs. .

Hardest part of the day for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭trek climber

Was it just me or did anyone notice the amount of cyclists with punctures within the first hour of the event !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Was it just me or did anyone notice the amount of cyclists with punctures within the first hour of the event !!

Yeah, all the way out of the Greystones to the long Hill. I seen so many but thankfully i never got one for the day

Thank you for your compliments Pedro, We really did enjoy the day and sense of occasion for us. My father actually won the trophy for the oldest vet to complete the course on the day. The organisers made a bit of a fuss about him at the end and had photos taken of him being presented with the trophy which was a wonderful way to round of the day.

Thank you for your compliments Pedro, We really did enjoy the day and sense of occasion for us. My father actually won the trophy for the oldest vet to complete the course on the day. The organisers made a bit of a fuss about him at the end and had photos taken of him being presented with the trophy which was a wonderful way to round off the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭saccades

Weather made it a lot tougher than I was hoping for. I don’t mind the rain so much but wind is just soul destroying when trying to keep your speed up for periods of time.

I’d planned for an early start (6.15) so that I would get to the first checkpoint about 10 before all the queues (and last year they ran out of water too) but discovered that no-one was going at my speed – the risk of leaving so early I guess. Weather was bad but I’d stuck a thermal wifebeater on under the MAD top so I was just damp but moving well - wind hitting me sideways but meant that the home stretch would have the wind behind me, decided to go for the full 200 at Glendalough as the wind was pushing me up the gap – result.

I’d dropped the gearing by nearly 10% on the Alfine hub, much easier to climb but I currently spin out at about 40-45kph, not a big concern on something like the 200. Top of the gap was wet and cold so threw a gilet on to keep the wind off on the descent and aero tucked all the way down. Hollywood to Blessington was pure torture – last year I’d zipped along the N81 at over 30 and I was relying on this stage to push my average speed up but it was not to be. There was a group of 5 (2 old fellas made out of teak included) of us fighting the savage headwind and lost one fella as he touched wheels and flopped over like he had been shot. Sorted him out and it took another 5 minutes to get going again, which kind of set up the rest of the route to Sleive Mon – fighting headwinds and completely out of rhythm trying to draft the fella in front until the start of the 2 big climbs. The lower gearing was better than last year but still too high - kept chanting my hill climbing mantra of “faster than walking, faster than walking” as I ground up the climb, rainwater pouring off my nose like I was in the shower back home. Big thanks to the powerbar lads – good spirits and tasty free bars. Didn’t stop too long as it I didn’t want to freeze – aero’ed my way back down passing some over-slow people on the way down. A lot of roadies are worse than me for having an inbuilt “happy max” for descents.

With the wind and the big climbs I had little left – tortured myself to Rathdrum trying to work out current ave speeds and ETA until I stopped for a good feed and 2 mugs of hot coffee, then carried on along what is my regular commute, wind against me again…. Never have I been so slow, the climb out of avoca is familiar (which makes it easier?) but the roads around Redcross appear to be made out of special tyre Velcro and I knew my schedule was out of the window, legs were threatening to cramp but I kept on, pushing just below crippling my legs and dreaming of the beers in the fridge (no beer in nearly 7 weeks…)

Kept pushing and reached the top of the arboretum descent, met up with a Piranha Tri Lad and a few others and suddenly had my mojo back – 66.5Kph down there and then along the deputy’s pass I tucked into the pack and kept up, legs getting used to spinning instead of grinding. Once we hit Glenealy on smooth roads and the wind at our backs (and no bloody rain) it felt like I had a turbo – did a bit at the front but happy to cadge a lift for a big chunk and watching my ave speed lift from 19.8 to 21.7 – I was back on schedule. Got to the short sharp hill at Kilcoole? And where last year I stopped, shattered, this time the red mist descended and I attacked and kept attacking all the way to the finish spinning out and looking like a red faced clown ;)

Which was nice.

I read later that a record number of people (3K) had entered but as of 4pm only 167 people had returned from the 200k as loads had chickened out at Glendalough. Thought overall it was very good, I missed the regular signs at every 10Km that were brill in 2013 for judging progress (I had a little sheet of paper with times scribbled down but it was too wet for that) but loads of marshals, loads of first aid and generally good signage at intersections. The new route from Ashford avoiding that washboard road down by the river was a brilliant change and I really appreciated not having my hands battered that close to the finish.

Weather made it harder for me, but if at ~100kg on a really unsuitable bike I can do it then there is no reason why pretty much anyone else can’t.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

saccades wrote: »

Weather made it harder for me, but if at ~100kg on a really unsuitable bike I can do it then there is no reason why pretty much anyone else can’t.

Plenty of reasons others may not have managed to do it. Just be happy for yourself and leave everyone else out of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭pedro_colnago

Thank you for your compliments Pedro, We really did enjoy the day and sense of occasion for us. My father actually won the trophy for the oldest vet to complete the course on the day. The organisers made a bit of a fuss about him at the end and had photos taken of him being presented with the trophy which was a wonderful way to round off the day.

Top marks from the organisers, that was a nice touch from them. Well deserved too tho

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭julio_iglayzis

I had done the Mick Byrne 160K a few weeks back and thought the 200 would be comparatively straightforward....lord god was I wrong. I found the Hollywood to Baltinglass section completely draining - it was impossible to get into a decent rhythm and my left knee was locking up something rotten. I was completely demoralised and having serious doubts about the day, but once we turned after Tinahealy I found myself enjoying it - and by Glenmalure I knew the worst was over. The final section from Avoca to Greystones was just wonderful with the help of the tailwind.

I thought the overall organisation/marshalling etc was top-notch and it was a great feeling being applauded into the Shoreline by the people outside (although this may have been an hallucination).

I captured some video footage of the day if anyone’s interested, the lens fogged up after Hollywood, but I was too tired to care.
    http://youtu.be/1gdsYiwjunU

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 541 ✭✭✭another world

It was my first time doing a sportive and very happy to have finished the 200. Quite an eye-opener in terms of the level some people are at and it was a big learning experience in terms of nutrition, gear, training etc required for these. I got around in about in around 9 hours moving time (my phone died on me so don't know exactly). The hardest part for me was probably going up Slieve Mann - very tempted to get off my bike but kept it going nice and slowly.

After reading about previous years I was expecting the organisation not to be the best but I couldn't fault it in the slightest. I think all the marshalls gave a few words of encouragement which was great to hear. I went to the Centra in Rathdrum instead of the organised food stop but the one in Baltinglass was fine.

Great day out and already looking forward to next years event.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 690 ✭✭✭dragratchet

nice video julio- enjoyed that, i did the 160 mb too and was looking forward to a comparably handier day with the ww200, perhaps it was the weather but i found the ww tougher like yourself. put too much energy into the first half of the day and hung on for dear life to a couple fast groups on the final leg. stiff on the bike this am.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭saccades

Plenty of reasons others may not have managed to do it. Just be happy for yourself and leave everyone else out of it.

Sorry, that was a direct copy of the report I stuck in the MTB clubs forum - as goading encouragement for them for next year - in hindsight there are few things I should have adjusted. It's a proper challange and very hard and fair play to anyone attempting either of the 2 spins, never mind completeing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 captainchaos

Braved the rain and the wind to complete the 200 in moving time of 9hrs 27mins so quite pleased. Left Greystones at 6am as I knew it would take 10 hrs + to complete ( did seriously consider changing to 100 as I cycled towards Laragh but delighted I went for the 200. I knew that not many were doing the 200 as by the time I got to Baltinglass only about 20 people had passed me!
    Though the food stop was excellent ( avoided Rathdrum TBH) and the stewarding was very good!
    Wondering are the W200 website going to put up results and photos?? ( didn't see any photographers )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

( didn't see any photographers )

I did see one guy with a very pro looking camera setup somewhere between Kilmacanogue and Roundwood. I can't remember exactly where. I didn't see much after that thanks to the rain making my glasses utterly useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Greytop

78 years of age, and I thought that I was doing well at 65 years, you should be really proud of your dad. It was a miserable day but the good company and crack on route and the tail wind up the hills made it all worth while and I was lucky to be one of the riders home before 4pm, but then I did start at 6am and was at the feed station early so no delays. Did any one else see the 10 and 12 year old's who were doing the 200. They passed me just before Aughavanna and they were moving hard, is there not an age limit for entry as I would have thought that 200K was a bit much for young riders.
    It was my second Wicklow 200 and half through I said never again, but now that the stiffens is gone I am looking forward to 2015 (hopefully it will have stopped raining by then) well done to all. Hopefully I will get out on the bike to night to get the legs moving.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 captainchaos

Hi Greytop,

Think I may have cycled alongside you for a while as I also remember the 10 and 12 year olds just before Aghavannagh!
    Got in just after 4pm myself!

Jeff

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭DD Mikasa

Saw the same photographer at three different spots. He choose well for good action corner shots at pace. Might actually make me look fast!

Great day, altho a tough day obviously.

Marshalling was superb I thought. Fair play to everyone who did this.

• Advertisement
Advertisement