Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is it worth buying an iPad in America?

• 22-05-2014 12:46am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭

Is it worth buying an iPad in America? I will be in Washington state this summer and would like an iPad mini (retina one) but am a bit of a newbie with regards Apple products. Is it worth buying them abroad, has anyone before?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,452 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

absolutely..you'll save about €100 or so on each model.
    I bought my ipad air in the US and had no problems with warranty etc here in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,906 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Blazer wrote: »
    absolutely..you'll save about €100 or so on each model.
    I bought my ipad air in the US and had no problems with warranty etc here in Ireland.

You wouldn't have warranty issues because the model numbers are the same internationally :)

agreed..I just call it out in case people wonder about it :)
    The iphones on the other hand are not covered here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭kaji

Cool, thanks so much you guys! Deffo going to buy one now! Wonder if I should get iPad mini (retina) or iPad air :0

all depends on what you plan to do with it.
    If you only plan to use it at home then the air is the way to go.
    But if you're mobile and plan to bring it with you then the iPad mini is the one.
    Both have the same specs as far as I recall for this generation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

I couldn't do without my Air, the bigger screen is perfect for doing stuff without a laptop.

Guess the iPad air is the way to go so, since I already have a large smartphone. Probably wiser to get the air. Excited!

I'm using the retina mini & find it perfect for my needs. Have a 13" MBP so an 8" ipad fits into my Apple family well.

Be prepared for some awesome battery life too - see attached image

Wow, that's a lotta juice! So hard to decide between Air and mini :s

kaji wrote: »
    Wow, that's a lotta juice! So hard to decide between Air and mini :s

I know how you feel. I bought both of them originally but returned my Air. Didn't need the bigger screen as I prefer to bring mine around with me. If yours is going to be used at home most of the time you will probably benefit from the bigger screen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭bop1977

Aodhagan wrote: »
    I know how you feel. I bought both of them originally but returned my Air. Didn't need the bigger screen as I prefer to bring mine around with me. If yours is going to be used at home most of the time you will probably benefit from the bigger screen.

I'm the opposite. I had a mini and got rid of it for an iPad Air. The air is only a small bit bigger than the mini and can be held in one hand comfortably.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

I got an iPad air from New York two weeks ago, 16GB wifi model, works a treat, really starting to get into it now and love the thing.

It cost me €374.47 which was $474.99 or $517.14 including the sales Tax of 8.875% in Bestbuy which was $25 ($26.15 incl tax) cheaper than the Apple store in 5th Avenue.

The only difference is the charger but this has interchangeable heads and I got a British/Irish Plug head on eBay for around €7, €3.50 for the plug and €3.50 for Parcel Motel Delivery. Alternatively you could get a two-pin plug converter in Dealz for €1.49 which I used for the first few days until the UK/Irish plug arrived.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151280550102?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

The iPad Air is €489.00 at the Irish Apple online store so I saved over €115.

Savings on Macs are even better, so if anyone is going to the states soon and wants to pick me up a retina MacBook Pro...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

Just be aware of the sales tax when doing the calculation. It isn't normally included in the sticker price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Phoebas wrote: »
    Just be aware of the sales tax when doing the calculation. It isn't normally included in the sticker price.

Not if you buy from an online retailer that is out of state. If you look up a high value item eg macbook. It will you which state its being shipped from so you can dodge the sales tax. Its totally legal and its why online retailing is rapidly growing in the us

So if I'm in America, let's say New York- it's cheaper to buy an ipad online from say Montana where sales tax is low?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 440 ✭✭towger

So if I'm in America, let's say New York- it's cheaper to buy an ipad online from say Montana where sales tax is low?

If you are in New York, then New Jersey is the place to go for lower sales tax. Just a short hop over the river.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

If you buy from a retailer in Montana. There is no sales tax.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 245 ✭✭Migworks

Stinicker wrote: »
    I got an iPad air from New York two weeks ago, 16GB wifi model, works a treat, really starting to get into it now and love the thing.

It cost me €374.47 which was $474.99 or $517.14 including the sales Tax of 8.875% in Bestbuy which was $25 ($26.15 incl tax) cheaper than the Apple store in 5th Avenue.

The only difference is the charger but this has interchangeable heads and I got a British/Irish Plug head on eBay for around €7, €3.50 for the plug and €3.50 for Parcel Motel Delivery. Alternatively you could get a two-pin plug converter in Dealz for €1.49 which I used for the first few days until the UK/Irish plug arrived.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151280550102?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

The iPad Air is €489.00 at the Irish Apple online store so I saved over €115.

Just so you know, even though the deal expired yesterday, groupon were doing 16gb wifi iPad air for €399! Quite a few boards users bought them and was all legit! I'm sure the deal will come again, I was skeptical as to how one would get such a discount but seeing the USA prices I guess some retailer managed to buy a Job lot there and brung them over to Ireland to sell. Shame the discount ended yesterday....,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Gileadi

Just in the states myself and was able to get the $100 student discount off a new MacBook Pro in Chicago without even needing to show a student card.

I told the sales guy that I was interested but the price was abit much, after about 2 mins he just mentioned "Hey are you a student, cause you kinda look like one, I can get you 100 bucks off you know".

Not sure if there is a similar offer on iPads but could be worth chancing, even if you have some old student ID card

• Advertisement

Nice bargain!

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭william

Would prices at the US international airports be better or worse than US cities?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Gileadi

I'm not sure if the price would change much between downtown and the airport but what is worth mentioning is the different sales tax.

This will vary state by state, from my experience the lowest will be around 5% and the highest closer to 10%. This is added to the price you see on display.

If your doing some travelling around different states it may be worth referencing the various taxes to see where is the best place to buy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭PaddyFagan

william wrote: »
    Would prices at the US international airports be better or worse than US cities?

Varies a bit in my experience. Some airports have BestBuy vending machines with a range of items, including some iPads. They say on them that they match local downtown prices - but as some else said watch the sales tax.

Paddy

Guys, OP here and I found the groupon deal (thanks Migworks). Is this a good deal? Would prefer to have my ipad before I go to America also.

Guys, OP here and I found the groupon deal (thanks Migworks). Is this a good deal? Would prefer to have my ipad before I go to America also.

Is it still running? Thought it ended last week? If they have renewed it I might be able to go for it in a few weeks! Here's hoping!!!

Migworks wrote: »
    Is it still running? Thought it ended last week? If they have renewed it I might be able to go for it in a few weeks! Here's hoping!!!

Just found it there:

http://www.groupon.ie/deals/special/gg-photo-direct-46/39070058

Should I just get it now instead of in America? It seems like a good deal doesn't it. And this is the most recent iPad isn't it? I've decided not to get a mini as I handled one in Tescos and found it to be a bit small for my hand.

Just found it there:

http://www.groupon.ie/deals/special/gg-photo-direct-46/39070058

Should I just get it now instead of in America? It seems like a good deal doesn't it. And this is the most recent iPad isn't it? I've decided not to get a mini as I handled one in Tescos and found it to be a bit small for my hand.

Yup just checked and the deal is renewed for €399 but also now an iPad mini 32gb for €375 too!

Migworks wrote: »
    Yup just checked and the deal is renewed for €399 but also now an iPad mini 32gb for €375 too!

That's the only iPad Mini but does include cellular.

• Advertisement

I'm gonna bite the bullet and order the iPad Air now from Groupon! My wallet is gonna be sore after this week :/

Advertisement