Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chillis grown from shop bought parent

• 22-05-2014 1:15am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 293 ✭✭

I had one of those variety chilli packs that they sell in the fruit and veg section in lidl or aldi. Out of curiosity I sowed the seeds from the habenero and fresno peppers about 2 months ago and they germinated. The fresno plants have grown to about 3 inches in height but the habeneros still are bi-leafed seedlings. I have grown chillis form seed in the past (seed packets) and am wondering is this slow growth down to the seed being no good or temperature being to low for these varieties. They are in a south facing glass porch so get plenty of sunlight.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

My habeneros are taking their time, but after two months, most of them have one true leaf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

I got some growing as well (Jalapenos). They need a tropical environment I think, and even with the greenhouse here the lack of sun is not helping :(

They are a few inches high and have 3 nodes of true leaves tho, after about 3 months. Might be time to transplant to larger pot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Started mine in February and had them under lights for a while. Doing well and had some flowers set fruit about a week ago. Bloody greenfly is a nightmare though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 293 ✭✭Souness

Hopefully we get some heat soon and they will take off. They are a magnet for greenfly alright, have some basil next to mine so hopefully may deter them a bit.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Green fly LOVE basil, and then settle for chilli after they ruin the basil plant in days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 293 ✭✭Souness

Hmmm time to move the basil then. A book I have recommends companion planting basil with aphid susceptible plants, is this as a sacrifice plants so?

Sounds sacrificial alright. Poor basil plants. So far all bar one of the indoor chilli plants ive grown has been greenfly free. The greenfly one got attacked with various pesticides and abandoned to the yard, still put up flowers and fruit so instead of eating the pesticided chillis, I used them for this year's seeds

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

So I have 10 or so small chlli plants all arounf 3-6 inches. Had them in a small outside green house but due to space issues they are no outside in pots. Hadn't really considered grreenfly at all.

Any suggestions on what to do next, should I just move them to larger pots or plant them in an outdoor raised bed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Keep them in the greenhouse I reckon, they need the heat.

Yeah inside is best. What else is in the greenhouse? Tomatoes would be hardier than peppers for example.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

redser7 wrote: »
    Yeah inside is best. What else is in the greenhouse? Tomatoes would be hardier than peppers for example.

Peppers in. Tomatoes out then. Thanks!

Ideally both would be in but if you don't have the room then that would be the best order.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,531 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Just gradually keep transplanting the chilli plants into larger pots once you see the roots come out the bottom.
    Chilli plants can really kick off once they get a bit of heat, particularly the milder varieties like birdseye or Cayenne.
    Moruga, Naga and Habanero are a good bit trickier and need very warm and quite humid conditions to thrive and bear blisteringly hot crops.

Advertisement