Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using smilies in SMS - extra charges ?

Options
  • 22-05-2014 6:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭

I've just noticed that when I add in emoticons/smilies to my SMS messages on m y Note 3, the phone converts the SMS (which are normally in a bundle or free on my plan) to MMS messages (which costs 40c a pop).

Has anyone else noticed this ? Seems like a nice little earner for the operators ?

So my advice would be to go with WhatsApp or similar if you like these guys

:mad::(:o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,670 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

long_b wrote: »
    I've just noticed that when I add in emoticons/smilies to my SMS messages on m y Note 3, the phone converts the SMS (which are normally in a bundle or free on my plan) to MMS messages (which costs 40c a pop).

Has anyone else noticed this ? Seems like a nice little earner for the operators ?

So my advice would be to go with WhatsApp or similar if you like these guys

:mad::(:o

SMS is text only, emoticons/smilies are graphic characters which are not support in SMS, same if you try to send picture with a SMS, your phone "upgrades" the message to MMS.

I think your gripe is more with the phone, they should (so do) when the message is upgraded.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

SMS is text only, emoticons/smilies are graphic characters which are not support in SMS, same if you try to send picture with a SMS, your phone "upgrades" the message to MMS.

I think your gripe is more with the phone, they should (so do) when the message is upgraded.

I think it is confusing.

If you enter : then ) - that usually gets displayed as something round and yellow that looks for all the world to be "graphical" .

I get that's it's still text but it looks just like the emoticons images.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭KillerShamrock

It depends on the emoticons you use I think if the are the ones that are comprised of characters like : ) and so on it shouldn't do that but if there is a separate tab for them it could be classed as a pic my Sony doesn't convert to mms with them and neither have any of my HTCs so it could be Samsung specific :-)

Advertisement