Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

marathon in 7 weeks ?

• 22-05-2014 8:22am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭

5 weeks ago a calf strain ruled me out of the Limerick marathon, it would have been my first marathon. My physio has said i can return to training again this weekend.

The Marathon des Escargots is in 7 weeks and i was thinking of running it.

is this doable or am i asking for trouble injury wise ?

just a bit of info on me and my training,
    i will be 44 in july and i have been running since August 2012
    i ran 1300 miles last year 690 miles this year so far.
    i followed the P&D mpw plan for limerick
    my target for Limerick was 3:40:00 but
    im not too concerned about time now.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,535 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Hi Jake, not much point in making a call right now, until you have returned to training and can see how the body reacts. Why don't you gradually build up the long run again and see how the body holds up? I'm not sure how many/depth of long runs you were doing, but if you could get back up to 20 mile long runs, then you should be well capable of completing a marathon, albeit not at your original pace.

Wisdom would suggest however, that the bets course of action would be to train for an Autumn/Winter marathon, like Dublin or Clonakilty or something and do your training some justice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

Hi Krusty thanks for the reply.
    my plan is to build up the miles slowly like you said.
    i had done 2x18 LSR and 4x20+ LSR so i was
    thinking i might have a good base there.

i had thought of doing Longford or DCM but both dates are not doable
    and the long term plan is to do Donadea 50k next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,535 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

jake1970 wrote: »
    Hi Krusty thanks for the reply.
    my plan is to build up the miles slowly like you said.
    i had done 2x18 LSR and 4x20+ LSR so i was
    thinking i might have a good base there.

i had thought of doing Longford or DCM but both dates are not doable
    and the long term plan is to do Donadea 50k next year.
    Clonakilty is in December?

Sounds like you would have been in pretty good shape for your original target. If you are going to persist with the marathon in 7 weeks, then try some short runs, and then see how a 12 mile run works for you. Increase it by two miles every week. Forget about jumping back into the P&D plan (and forget about the Vo2 and threshold sessions). 5 weeks is just too long a break to successfully get back into it. Don't worry too much about a long taper (ease back on the mileage/long runs for the final 1-2 weeks). Don't get caught up in the excitement and try and jump back on your original target. Run within yourself. If you over-do it, you won't make this marathon either, and you risk having a longer lay-off or a more serious injury.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

Clonakilty is in December?

Sounds like you would have been in pretty good shape for your original target. If you are going to persist with the marathon in 7 weeks, then try some short runs, and then see how a 12 mile run works for you. Increase it by two miles every week. Forget about jumping back into the P&D plan (and forget about the Vo2 and threshold sessions). 5 weeks is just too long a break to successfully get back into it. Don't worry too much about a long taper (ease back on the mileage/long runs for the final 1-2 weeks). Don't get caught up in the excitement and try and jump back on your original target. Run within yourself. If you over-do it, you won't make this marathon either, and you risk having a longer lay-off or a more serious injury.

some sound advice there Krusty.
    if i dont feel 100% i just wont do it, if i learned anything from not making the start line in Limerick it is listen to your body. its no fun been injured and not been able to run.

Advertisement