Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First time nudity....

Options
  • 22-05-2014 8:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭

Hopefully someone can enlighten me!

It is my first triathlon next weekend in Athy. I have been reading here that people have been disqualified for nudity in the transition area.

I have tried shorts and my plan was to take off the wetsuit and throw on a t shirt. Is this allowed?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,473 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

I used to wear my cycling/running shorts under the wetsuit. There's so much fumbling in transition, the less you have to change the better!

Good luck and enjoy! :)

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Best thread title ever :)

I presume you have shorts under the wetsuit. So the torso is your only problem. At worst you could arrange to also wear a tight singlet under the wetsuit.

On the day, find an official from TI. They will be in a referee shirt, green hat and hiviz vest. Ask them about their enforcement of that particular rule.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

I was going to wear a bra under my wetsuit and change into a cycling top in lough cultra. A nice red and white lacey one

• Registered Users Posts: 8,473 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

You could get a tri suit. They cover all your bits and fit under a wetsuit.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

You could get a tri suit. They cover all your bits and fit under a wetsuit.

He shouldn't have to.

Its total sh1t.

Whats the reasoning? Stemming from causing offence in the middle east. Guess what TI this isn't the middle east and if they were worried about offending peoples eye balls they include a BMI limit.

Its sh1t , total sh1t, but hey it distracts from the joke that is the NS and the lack of enforcement of drafting rules.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

Didn't Joe Duffy sort this out last year?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭tritriagain

did my first tri last year and had to panic buy a tri suit the day before as i had planned to do it in my tr shorts and throw on a t shirt after the swim but read the thread here last year. at race briefing warned NO NIPPLES on show or DQ. so gl;ad i bought it. but then i saw loads of people topless (no women unfortunately) and nothing was done about it so 90 euro down the drain. still have it for this year but maybe it should be dealt with by TI as it seems to keep cropping up.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Doeshedare

I, am my fellow back of pack mates, just wear a t-shirt (usually the one from the last events goody bag) under the wetsuit along with the bike shorts. The only problem is it catching when zipping up the suit but that is what other people are there for.

I got an Aldi tri suit last week but having caught myself in it in the mirror I think I will stick with the t-shirt.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Is it just nipples they are offended by? Then how about band aids....or fancy pasties? ;) But I agree with Tunney.....this seems pretty ridiculous when there are more things directly related to triathlon performance, outcome and sportsmanship the officials should be worrying about. The rule of reasonableness needs to be applied.....I mean don't all the athletes practice in pools with nipples (male nipples, that is) flapping about?? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Hani Kosti

So out of curiosity can I have shorts, take of my top (bra on) and change to T shirt???

• Advertisement

Hani Kosti wrote: »
    So out of curiosity can I have shorts, take of my top (bra on) and change to T shirt???
    If the rules are strictly applied, no.

This is an ITU rule but when it is applied to beginners in small races it is certainly ridiculous. I believe it was largely ignored till a woman was dq'd for being topless in transition last year. This lead to much stricter enforcement. Right now whether you will be sanctioned or not will be down to the officials on the day. I think TI are caught between a rock and a hard place. They have to follow international rules and to apply them equally to either gender even though it is silly to be so strict.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Hani Kosti

That's ridiculous but once I know the rules are being enforced so strictly, I keep my clothes on :D
    Thanks for the advice, appreciate that

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭twenty8

Thanks everyone! At this stage it looks like I will check with an official on the day. Sounds ridiculous that I have to wear a tri-suit as I can't think of any other option - other than wear a t-shirt under the wet suit and keep it on - but that would be impossible to cycle and run in.

Have the Swim Athy tomorrow morning - so will see if I can find anyone there who might have some guidelines.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Hani Kosti wrote: »

IF you have a sports bra or the likes on under your wet suit there is no problem
    when you take of your wetsuit, you can then put on a top/t-shirt in transition,
    You dont need to have a t-shirt on under your wetsuit
    The problem last year was the lady ib question was nude from the waist up, this is a DQ,
    Not trying to stir things, but if a male is nude from the waist up i would class this as having a bare torso, penalty for this is, stop and go when amended,

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭shansey

only saw this rule recently..i'd been going topless in transition for ages and nobody ever said anything..nipples everywhere!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Shedite27

After the swim in TriAthy yesterday I was in the transition that didn't have a portaloo and needed a "comfort stop". Asked the steward was it okay to go in the bushes (number 1), and they said go ahead. About half way through I figured this must definitely be violating some nudity rule.

Shedite27 wrote: »
    After the swim in TriAthy yesterday I was in the transition that didn't have a portaloo and needed a "comfort stop". Asked the steward was it okay to go in the bushes (number 1), and they said go ahead. About half way through I figured this must definitely be violating some nudity rule.

At a race in the uk during briefing competitors were warned not to do that as such 'exposure' in public could get you arrested and put on the sex offenders register.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Oryx wrote: »
    At a race in the uk during briefing competitors were warned not to do that as such 'exposure' in public could get you arrested and put on the sex offenders register.

They'd have been putting plenty on that register in Athy yesterday.

Queue for an age or find the nearest bush. I chose the latter.

No nuddity in trans is a ridiculous rule but anybody considering it should try jumping out of the shower and putting on a T-shirt. It's not worth the effort. Under armour or pick up a suit in Aldi very cheap.

Advertisement