Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent a room lodger refusing to leave

Options
  • 22-05-2014 9:03am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 38

what can I do. My rent a room lodger has been verbally given 12 days notice to leave due to her unreasonable behaviour. She has refused to accept this. The monthly rent is 50euro less than similar places. I had suggested 2 months ago if she wanted to leave that was fine with me and she should start looking as she was complaining about paying bills and not a great sharer ie her needs always came first.

She insisting on a months notice and will now only pay weekly. She refuses to talk about the situation and will only communicate via written notes. This is unacceptable to me. what can I do? The atmosphere is awful. Her rent was 5 days late and has only given an amount for a week.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

I suggest you tell her that she has to be out by a certain date and time and that of she's not you will pack her belongings and change the locks. As a licensee she has no security of tenure and is wrong to think otherwise. Yes you should give reasonable notice but a rule of thumb is by rental period so if she's now paying rent weekly, a week would be considered fair notice.

This may sound harsh but it's your house, she does not get to call the shots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

She's a licensee, she has pretty much no rights. Next time she leaves the house, pack her belongings, leave them in the garden, change the locks and inform her by text that her belongings can be collected.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,384 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Do not leave her belongings in the garden ;) as you could then be liable for them but as others have said if you are an owner occupier then you can turf them out whenever you like. If she comes into the house after the notice period (written) she is breaking and entering and should be dealt with by the Gardai. The notice period is completely at your discretion.

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭sassyj

athtrasna wrote: »
    I suggest you tell her that she has to be out by a certain date and time and that of she's not you will pack her belongings and change the locks. As a licensee she has no security of tenure and is wrong to think otherwise. Yes you should give reasonable notice but a rule of thumb is by rental period so if she's now paying rent weekly, a week would be considered fair notice.

This may sound harsh but it's your house, she does not get to call the shots.

This is exactly what I'd do, good advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Garden was probably a bit much. :o

Pack them up, change the locks and leave them ready for collection in your house, then inform her of where she can collect them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭Johnny Be Goode

Hi, talk to a solicitor before doing anything, very important to get professional advice before doing or saying anything JBG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Hi, talk to a solicitor before doing anything, very important to get professional advice before doing or saying anything JBG

Why? The information is freely available on the citizens information site. A licensee does not have any rights compared to a tenant. The OP can evict them with little or no notice. Notice has been given. Professional advice in this case would be a wase of time and money

• Registered Users Posts: 22,307 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I'd be a bit stricter, in fairness. If you know what time she'll be back, have her stuff ready in the hallway. You can hand it out to her. Send her a text to inform her that this is happening. Don't respond to her reply. Have a change of lock ready in case she refuses to give your key back.

This is not a rental property. It's your home, ffs. If you don't want her in it, she can't be in it. Simple as that.

Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Residential tenancy act doesn't apply to lodgers

You are entitled to pack her things and change the locks

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

endacl wrote: »
    I'd be a bit stricter, in fairness. If you know what time she'll be back, have her stuff ready in the hallway. You can hand it out to her. Send her a text to inform her that this is happening. Don't respond to her reply. Have a change of lock ready in case she refuses to give your key back.

This is not a rental property. It's your home, ffs. If you don't want her in it, she can't be in it. Simple as that.

Best of luck with it.

Can you do this with a lodger. I know if somwone is renting a place the landlord can not go into house but can you just pack up there stuff if they rent a room

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Best of luck with it.

If you do go with an action like this make sure to have a witness there to cover yourself

Can you do this with a lodger. I know if somwone is renting a place the landlord can not go into house but can you just pack up there stuff if they rent a room

They've had their notice. It's not the OP's fault that they've refused to hear it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,384 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Pretty much. They have the same rights to your house as a friend you invite over for the weekend ie none

They've had their notice. It's not the OP's fault that they've refused to hear it.
    Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Pretty much. They have the same rights to your house as a friend you invite over for the weekend ie none

Thanks never know that. I have never rented out a room or anything like that. I am guessing that an occupier can not just go into a room and do that unless notice was given

• Registered Users Posts: 16,643 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Residential tenancy act doesn't apply to lodgers

You are entitled to pack her things and change the locks
    This is awful advice.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/owning_a_home/home_owners/rent_a_room_scheme.html
    This also means that private tenants living in your home are living under alicensee agreement not a tenancy agreement and are really only entitled to reasonable notice if you choose to terminate the agreement. Tenants are, however, entitled to refer disputes regarding periods of reasonable notice, retention of deposits, and disputes regarding deductions from rent for damage to property that is over and above normal wear and tear to the Small Claims Court.
    For me, 12 days notice is not reasonable. I assume the small claims court would take a very dim view if you confiscated her property and changed the locks on your doors and effectively left her homeless.

For me, one months notice would be more than fair. I would also be serving her with a notarized letter informing her of so. That should give you full protection.

This is awful advice.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/owning_a_home/home_owners/rent_a_room_scheme.html

For me, 12 days notice is not reasonable. I assume the small claims court would take a very dim view if you confiscated her property and changed the locks on your doors and effectively left her homeless.

For me, one months notice would be more than fair. I would also be serving her with a notarized letter informing her of so. That should give you full protection.

That's fair enough, I suppose, while talking online and in the abstract.

However, if it were my home, I'd consider 12 days plenty.

Small claims court would have nothing to do with this, by the way. It wouldn't fall within their remit. How come nobody on here ever seems to know what the SCC actually does. It seems to be almost a Pavlovian response. "Take 'em to the SCC, OP! That'll show 'em!"

:rolleyes:

No it won't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

Small claims court would have nothing to do with this, by the way. It wouldn't fall within their remit. How come nobody on here ever seems to know what the SCC actually does. It seems to be almost a Pavlovian response. "Take 'em to the SCC, OP! That'll show 'em!"

No it won't.
    When a lodger/licensee is being unreasonable, the owner may ask/tell him/her to leave immediately.

Small claims court would have nothing to do with this, by the way.
    It clearly says on that page that rent a room disputes are handled by the small claims court. If the court found that 12 days notice was not enough, then the tenant could book into a hotel for a week and the OP would have to pick up the tab.

I would always err on the side of caution with things like this. It does sound like this tenant is a slippery customer, and I find when people are shifty about money like this, they would be more likely to take any route they could to get their own back. The OP really should have established a period of notice that both parties agreed to prior to renting the room.

Lesson learned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭Johnny Be Goode

I know you all mean well but when dealing with legal matters e.g. rights of rent a room tenant versus home owner professional advice is crucial. Although you want to help,you do not have to deal with the consequences should things go pear shaped JBG

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 38 cerise

Thanks for your feedback. Its a difficult position I never thought I would be in. My lodger is under the impression that she has rights because she rents a room and has said to me she will leave when it suits her and if I don't like it to call the guards. It is getting nasty and stressful. I don't want her in my house while I am away on holidays in June.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Then put her out NOW. Pack her belongings, video the event, and have a friend with you when you do it. Have a locksmith on standby to change the locks. Cover your arse.

Did you give her notice in writing?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

No it won't.

One month seems fair. I wouldnt want the potential hassle of packing her stuff up and changing the locks might bring. If you want her gone the per week payment means she is more likley to leave sooner but put down a deadline.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

whats funny about the citizens advise page ablove is when you click on the link it clarifies what you can use SCC for

"Claims for the non-return of a rent deposit for certain kinds of rented properties, such as, a holiday home or a flat in a premises where the landlord also lives. The Private Residential Tenancies Board handles such claims for the mainstream private rented housing sector."

So as long as you return deposit OP their is no small claims court liability as I would see it. (not legal advice)

cerise wrote: »
    Thanks for your feedback. Its a difficult position I never thought I would be in. My lodger is under the impression that she has rights because she rents a room and has said to me she will leave when it suits her and if I don't like it to call the guards. It is getting nasty and stressful. I don't want her in my house while I am away on holidays in June.

There's your solution. It your home. She's been told to leave. Call the guards.

Or invite your biggest, smelliest male friend to stay. He can stay in the room your lodger used to use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

I'd speak to a brief anyway. Tell them what you intend to do. A consultation shouldn't cost much. Might cost a couple of quid now, but cheap in the long run, if things are turning nasty.

Then action as the others have said. The tenant knows you want her out. So - put her backside out.

I'd speak to a brief anyway. Tell them what you intend to do. A consultation shouldn't cost much. Might cost a couple of quid now, but cheap in the long run, if things are turning nasty.

Then action as the others have said. The tenant knows you want her out. So - put her backside out.

^^^

Anybody else read this in a "Ray Winstone" accent?

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Maphisto

There's your solution. It your home. She's been told to leave. Call the guards.

Or invite your biggest, smelliest male friend to stay. He can stay in the room your lodger used to use.

Now that is beautiful :P

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

OP I wouldn't be entertaining this muppet any longer. You've done your bit. Next time she leaves, pack her shit and have it ready in the hallway. Call a lock smith and some friends. When she arrives home, don't let her in. Pass her out her stuff. Tell her if she doesn't start clearing her shit out of the front garden you'll call the Guards.
    Close the door. And never deal with her again. Don't answer the phone to her. Don't read her texts. Forget about her and the stress she's causing you.

cerise wrote: »

She is testing you hear OP. You have to show her your serious.

• Advertisement

whats funny about the citizens advise page ablove is when you click on the link it clarifies what you can use SCC for

"Claims for the non-return of a rent deposit for certain kinds of rented properties, such as, a holiday home or a flat in a premises where the landlord also lives. The Private Residential Tenancies Board handles such claims for the mainstream private rented housing sector."

So as long as you return deposit OP their is no small claims court liability as I would see it. (not legal advice)
    That's contradictory to what's on the first link and to be honest, it doesn't seem fair to me at all.

By that logic, if I was renting a room to someone, if the tenant left the lid on the toilet up or something one night, then I could hand them their deposit back there and then and turf them out that night.

Advertisement