Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carpet ruined by moths - who is responsible?

Options
  • 22-05-2014 10:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

In my rented accommodation we had a problem with moths last summer in the main bedroom. I treated the carpet with chemicals and I thought I'd gotten rid of them. I obviously didn't though and over the winter they nested and reproduced under heavy furniture that is never moved. I noticed a few of them the other day and when I pulled out the furniture I couldn't believe the extent of the damage that they caused.

The carpet needs replacing, absolutely no way it can be salvaged. My question is am I responsible for the damage? I can see how a landlord could argue negligence on my part. Or would something like this come under the landlord's responsibility. It's also worth noting that the carpets are about 10 years old.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Hi all,

In my rented accommodation we had a problem with moths last summer in the main bedroom. I treated the carpet with chemicals and I thought I'd gotten rid of them. I obviously didn't though and over the winter they nested and reproduced under heavy furniture that is never moved. I noticed a few of them the other day and when I pulled out the furniture I couldn't believe the extent of the damage that they caused.

The carpet needs replacing, absolutely no way it can be salvaged. My question is am I responsible for the damage? I can see how a landlord could argue negligence on my part. Or would something like this come under the landlord's responsibility. It's also worth noting that the carpets are about 10 years old.

Thanks
    Carpets are most likely due for replacement anyway especially if they are the cheaper type of synthetic fibre carpet.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,960 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Why not just move the heavy furniture back in place? Did it look fine before you moved it????

Why not just move the heavy furniture back in place? Did it look fine before you moved it????
    It is also possible that furniture was placed there to cover the damage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭paddydone1

The Moths

• Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭adocholiday

No the carpet was fine when we moved in. We've been there a few years now and we moved furniture around when we moved in so its definitely damage done since then. Also leaving the furniture there is not going to resolve the issue. These buggers spread easily and will just continue to ruin the carpet

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

The moths are responsible. The real question is who is liable?

The moths are responsible. The real question is who is liable?

Ok fair enough I worded the question incorrectly. Would you care to offer an opinion as to who might be liable?

Ok fair enough I worded the question incorrectly. Would you care to offer an opinion as to who might be liable?
    Have you told the Landlord about the moths and the carpet? I would think that the LL is responsible and liable for any repair and removing any infestation once it has not been caused by something wrong that the tenants have done.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

I'd blame God, he created the moths, the moths were accessories to the the crime, then the person who made the carpets didn't add the moth proofing agent.
    So you should take a case against, carpet supplier, carpet maker, moths and God.
    Hope that helps.

Not your problem I would think? But its a hard one to gauge.

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Have you told the Landlord about the moths and the carpet? I would think that the LL is responsible and liable for any repair and removing any infestation once it has not been caused by something wrong that the tenants have done.

No I haven't said anything to the LL yet. I wanted to know what my responsibilities are here before mentioning it to him. In fairness he's a really nice guy and has been very accommodating and understanding with the few issues that we have had up to this point.

With regard to tenant wrongdoing, this is where my issue lies. Have I neglected my responsibility as a tenant by not taking 'due care' to maintain and protect the landlord's property?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,615 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Had a similar problem a couple of years ago. Told the landlord. Did what I could to kill the little f**kers and did a decent job but there were patches where the carpet just came up in clumps when it was hoovered.

You're not liable as the tenant. You didn't cause the problem. You tended to it as best you could when you noticed the problem.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

No I haven't said anything to the LL yet. I wanted to know what my responsibilities are here before mentioning it to him. In fairness he's a really nice guy and has been very accommodating and understanding with the few issues that we have had up to this point.

With regard to tenant wrongdoing, this is where my issue lies. Have I neglected my responsibility as a tenant by not taking 'due care' to maintain and protect the landlord's property?

It will all depend on the LL, a carpet that is 10 years old in fairness is probably end of life and wore, so whats left to eat the moths would soon gobble.
    If you showed signs that you tried to kill the moths then what more can you do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

OP did you tell the landlord before you treated the infestation initially? If not you may be liable by not giving him a chance to deal with it and then by not getting all of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,420 ✭✭✭✭Victor

yop wrote: »
    I'd blame God, he created the moths, the moths were accessories to the the crime, then the person who made the carpets didn't add the moth proofing agent.
    So you should take a case against, carpet supplier, carpet maker, moths and God.
    Hope that helps.

Not your problem I would think? But its a hard one to gauge.
    On-topic, constructive posts only please.

Advertisement