Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hard Drive Failure Query

Options
  • 22-05-2014 10:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭

Hi
    I have a Dell Inspiron Laptop the Hard Drive was replaced under warranty about 18 months ago.
    Lately I am getting a grinding/knocking noise from time to time and I am wondering is the Hard Drive failing again.

Any recommendation/suggestions for a Diagnostic Test that I could do to check the Hard Drive

Thanks for reading

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

Before you run any tests make sure you have all your data backed up to an external source. Testing puts pressure on the drive and can be the last straw on a failing drive.

Seagate had Seatools which you create a bootable disc with. You then boot from the disc and run a series of tests.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

Dell's have built-in diagnostics. I'm not sure if it's changed now but I think if you keep tapping F12 just after you power on the laptop it will go to the diagnostics screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,498 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Gerard93 wrote: »
    Hi
    I have a Dell Inspiron Laptop the Hard Drive was replaced under warranty about 18 months ago.
    Lately I am getting a grinding/knocking noise from time to time and I am wondering is the Hard Drive failing again.

Any recommendation/suggestions for a Diagnostic Test that I could do to check the Hard Drive

Thanks for reading

Download and install a program called HD sentinel it will tell you if you're hard drive is failing.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Gerard93

Before you run any tests make sure you have all your data backed up to an external source. Testing puts pressure on the drive and can be the last straw on a failing drive.

Seagate had Seatools which you create a bootable disc with. You then boot from the disc and run a series of tests.

Will have a look at this - Thanks
    Dell's have built-in diagnostics. I'm not sure if it's changed now but I think if you keep tapping F12 just after you power on the laptop it will go to the diagnostics screen.

Last time it was under Warranty and I phoned Dell support and as you say they told me to run the built in diagnostics which I did and resulted in a code, straight off they said then Hard Drive will be replaced.
    Couldn't remember how to run the test again!! - Thanks

Advertisement