Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you live next door to a beehive?

Options
  • 22-05-2014 10:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭

I know someone who is interested in getting a hive. He is thinking of setting up a bee hive of up to 60,000 bees. Would you like to live next door to a hive?

Remember, that bees are endangered and vital to agriculture, crops, pollination etc...

They can also sometimes sting...

Some stats from boyne valley
    1. The honey bee has been around for 30 million years.
    2. It is the only insect that produces food eaten by man.
    3. Honey bees are environmentally friendly and are vital as pollinators.
    4. Their latin name is - Apis mellifera.
    5. They have 6 legs, 2 eyes, and 2 wings, a nectar pouch, and a stomach.
    6. The honeybee's wings stroke 11,400 times per minute, thus making their distinctive buzz.
    7. A honey bee can fly for up to six miles, and as fast as 15 miles per hour, hence it would have to fly around 90,000 miles - three times around the globe - to make one pound of honey.
    8. The average honey bee will actually make only one twelfth of a teaspoon of honey in its lifetime.
    9. It takes about 556 workers to gather 1 pound of honey from about 2 million flowers.
    10. It takes one ounce of honey to fuel a bee's flight around the world.
    11. A honey bee visits 50 to 100 flowers during a collection trip.
    12. A colony of bees consists of 20,000-60,000 honeybees and one queen.
    13. Worker honey bees are female, live 6 to 8 weeks and do all the work.
    14. The queen bee lives for about 2-3 years and is the only bee that lays eggs. She is the busiest in the summer months, when the hive needs to be at its maximum strength, and lays up to 2500 eggs per day.
    15. The male honey bees are called drones, and they do no work at all, have no stinger, all they do is mating.
    16. Each honey bee colony has a unique odour for members' identification.
    17. Only worker bees sting, and only if they feel threatened and they die once they sting. Queens have a stinger, but don't leave the hive to help defend it.
    18. It is estimated that 1100 honey bee stings are required to be fatal.
    19. Honey bees communicate with one another by "dancing".
    20. During winter, honey bees feed on the honey they collected during the warmer months. They form a tight cluster in their hive to keep the queen and themselves warm.

Would you live next to a bee hive? 158 votes

Yes (I've no problem with this)
    0%
    No (I am totally against living next to a hive)
    68%
    CoyoteVexorgRabiesbpmurraypickarooneyFighting IrishAkrasiaAglomerado[Deleted User]Diageio_MankenmcRoviWibbschristebZebra3ClseeperRaminahobbinAmberskyafatbollixblarney_army 109 votes
    Yes (But I'm still a bit worried)
    12%
    SeanWdooloxHigginsJyaya*montyrebeldark crystalmurphyebassSierra 117PwindedddownesyMoyglishCrazyteacherSmithwicks MancuilteannawretcheddomainSkeleton XIIIVG31B_RabbitBearBanjerdesultory 20 votes
    No (I like the idea, but not near me)
    18%
    SniipelintdrummerMalicebikoMonkeyTennisdenhaageniteectoraigecereberuswhatdoicareKnex*Cork LassalleystarRothmansrev2.0TheChizleraaabbbbmaughantourigjamo2oo9RothkoJijsaw 29 votes
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

No. I got stung by a bee once, and it wasn't a pleasant experience. Charged me €20 for a pit of honey.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

No because I don't think they integrate into the local community and have a reputation for anti-social behaviour.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭mad turnip

when the hive needs to be at its maximum strength, and lays up to 2500 eggs per day.
    The male honey bees are called drones, and they do no work at all, have no stinger, all they do is mating.

If you were this queen would you be happy or upset your the local bike?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

Unbeelievable some of them facts. Deadly buzz.

And no, keep your buzzy jive ass stinging machines of death away from my house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Slicemeister

So long as they were going out the door every morning to work and not bumming off the state, why not?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭weisses

I'm fine as long as they don't take "our" jobs

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

If I had my way I wouldnt live next door to neighbours!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Without bees, we would die due to non pollination of crops.

I would take a hive over my present neighbours any day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Legs.Eleven

One of my favourite songs as a kid:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

No (I like the idea, but not near me)
    TheZohan wrote: »
    Charged me €20 for a pit of honey.
    Bargain
    Uz1EzwQ.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭Muise...

Add to your facts that beehives are only dangerous if you stand right in front of the door or open/move the hive aggressively. Otherwise the bees are happy out and the only one to get stung will be the beekeeper. Who won't mind as it doesn't hurt after a while. The orientation of the hive door is what keeps the bees and the people in the houses by the garden out of each others way.

Putting some of your facts together -bees don't hang around the garden/orchard/field where the hive is - as you said the workers travel miles for food, and the drones just hang around waiting to mate the queen, but they don't have a sting so no harm.

You mentioned the bee dance. It is the cleverest dance in the world. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,032 ✭✭✭Ficheall

My parents have recently bought a couple of beehives. They're not near any neighbours though. It'll be interesting to see if they manage to get any honey out of them...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

No because I don't think they integrate into the local community and have a reputation for anti-social behaviour.

You mean bee-haviour?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Without bees, we would die due to non pollination of crops.
    Whilst they are important pollinators this isn't completely true. Other insects can also pollinate (and more efficiently in some cases) but are usually wild and less easily controlled. Also many crops don't require the assistance of animal or insect pollination.

As to the the original question, no I wouldn't want to live next door to a beehive.....I want to have the beehive for myself in my back garden! I love bees, fascinating creatures!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Alf. A. Male

I'm allergic to their stings, so no, I wouldn't live next door to them, I might as well cut my own throat. Shame, 'cos I kinda like them and I would love the sound of the gentle buzzing as I sat in my garden if it wasn't akin to an incoming missile in terms of the damage it could do to me.

Definitely! Bees are great.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I know it's wasps that are the evil fcukers but I'd still have that "run away screaming" instinct...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

Great bunch of lads.

I'm allergic to their stings, so no, I wouldn't live next door to them, I might as well cut my own throat. Shame, 'cos I kinda like them and I would love the sound of the gentle buzzing as I sat in my garden if it wasn't akin to an incoming missile in terms of the damage it could do to me.

Hope you have some epinephrine. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,387 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Bees travel several km's to look for pollen, so I wouldn't be worried.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,292 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Yeah. No bother. Already do.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Parents have bees, about 8 hives around the garden- long as u dont go near them they no bother

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Alf. A. Male

Muise... wrote: »
    Hope you have some epinephrine. :eek:

Nope. I carry nada. I like the thrill of living dangerously. I was gonna say I like the buzz of it, but that seems too obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,292 ✭✭✭✭endacl

wprathead wrote: »
    Parents have bees, about 8 hives around the garden- long as u dont go near them they no bother

And if you go near the hives...?

:p

Nope. I carry nada. I like the thrill of living dangerously. I was gonna say I like the buzz of it, but that seems too obvious.

You like the adrenaline rush of not carrying adrenaline then? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭solargain

If you go at the hives it ha the same effect as putting your hand in a dogs mouth. They think you are robbing their honey , I am sure if somebody was knocking on your door and annoying you , you would come out kind of annoyed as well. I have 7 hives around the house

solargain wrote: »
    If you go at the hives it ha the same effect as putting your hand in a dogs mouth. They think you are robbing their honey , I am sure if somebody was knocking on your door and annoying you , you would come out kind of annoyed as well. I have 7 hives around the house

Missed a trick there - a false porch and doorbell rigged up to open a hatch and release angry bees on canvassers and sundry cold callers.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Bees would be handy to get rid of people like the license inspector.

Me: "Sure, come inside and I'll show you my TV...........it's right around back.

Inspector: "Um....ok?"

Me: "There, right there."

Inspector: "But........tha......that's a beehive....."

Me: ".........exactly.........."

Inspector "Wait a min......"

Me: "Go........go my pretties, feed on him!!"

*BUZZ*

Inspector: "AAAaaaarrgghh!!......"

Me: "Sorry to be such a............buzz kill........mwa ha ha......."

• Registered Users Posts: 16,200 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

are they romanian bees?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭323

Defiantly. Nice to see them around.

Guessing there must be a wild hive relatively close by as it is as shake any of the Escallonia hedging anywhere round my garden and 10 or more rise out of it.

Don't know of kids or anyone being stung.

“Follow the trend lines, not the headlines,”

Advertisement