Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buggy's for holidays

Options
  • 22-05-2014 10:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,315 ✭✭✭✭

Bringing our 3yo twins away to Tenerife in August & didnt fancy bringing their usual twin buggy (trust me, its huge) on the plane, have been hoping to get a couple of lightweight & hopefully not too expensive ones for them to be able to have a nap in if we're out for dinner etc. Would anyone have any recommendations?
    Given their age we dont see us getting a lot of use out of them once we return so budget would be a significant factor.
    Any help greatly appreciated.
    D.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

I'm interested in this too. I'm looking for a lightweight cheap buggy that'll do for morning and evening creche runs (only a five-minute trip each time), and that'll also be suitable for regular trips on public transport. We have an Uppababy Vista, which is great, but very big and heavy and bulky!

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭witchity2

It would be worth your while contacting the place you are staying in. I was in Majorca last year and they had lightweight buggys (maclaren) for hire in the reception, so I booked one for the week - it was fairly cheap too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭ariana`

Could you borrow if you don't think you'll need them again? Lots of nice cheap strollers out there but when you x 2 it they don't seem to cheap! I have a Petite Star Zia and it's a handy run-around lightweight buggy, it lies flat so the child can nap which is handy for holiday/occasional use. I was let put it in the overhead cabin on an Aer Lingus flight.

A lot of people rave about the MacLaren range.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭witchity2

I'm interested in this too. I'm looking for a lightweight cheap buggy that'll do for morning and evening creche runs (only a five-minute trip each time), and that'll also be suitable for regular trips on public transport. We have an Uppababy Vista, which is great, but very big and heavy and bulky!

I have a Quinny Zapp. Very lightweight little 3 wheeler. Perfect for transport/walking around shops and folds up tiny.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

ariana` wrote: »
    Could you borrow if you don't think you'll need them again? Lots of nice cheap strollers out there but when you x 2 it they don't seem to cheap! I have a Petite Star Zia and it's a handy run-around lightweight buggy, it lies flat so the child can nap which is handy for holiday/occasional use. I was let put it in the overhead cabin on an Aer Lingus flight.

A lot of people rave about the MacLaren range.

I test drove the maclaren quest in denim in boots (liffey valley). It is fab fab fab. €200 and really sturdy. The other colours are around €189 in mothercare etc. I still haven't seen the zia in the flesh :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

Bought a mama's n papa's stroller in argos last year for around 60 quid. It's light enough, baby can lie flat, and came with sunshade, rain cover and footnuff (which you probably won't need ;-p). Came in handy for holidays as i didn't want to bring the massive expensive pram, and was also afraid it would get damaged...)

Works for us and didn't break the bank...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

I have the zia - and I'm shocked (and delighted!) it fit in overhead??! Surely they'd just bring to the door of plane and then put in the bottom? That's where ours has always gone?

The mclarens look like they fold smaller than the zia? But not sure if they recline. The zia is great - I would def borrow or buy them second hand for that time frame tho!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

The out n about nipper double was brilliant for holidays,that is what I usually bring.
    The Petit Zia is a great little single buggy if you want something small that reclines.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

We have the mclaren quest and it doesn't fully recline. I love it though and it was the best €60 I've ever spent. I bought it from a woman who used it for her 3 kids and it was immaculate. We initially bought it as a holiday buggy but then started using it all the time.

We have the mclaren quest and it doesn't fully recline. I love it though and it was the best €60 I've ever spent. I bought it from a woman who used it for her 3 kids and it was immaculate. We initially bought it as a holiday buggy but then started using it all the time.

The woman in mothercare told me the new maclaren quest reclines more?

• Advertisement

Possibly. The one we have is for 6 months + because it doesn't lie flat.

Possibly. The one we have is for 6 months + because it doesn't lie flat.

The new ones are suitable from birth :) I am seriously eyeing up the denim one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

I would really recommend your own buggy . Yes it may be akward to get on plane but you will really appreciate having it for the whole holiday.

You don't realise how akward it is at the airport for example, pushing two buggies, and all the bags/ suitcases.
    Or if on holidays, you or your partner want to go shopping by yourself, one person can't push the two buggies, plus hard to find space for two buggies in restaurant.

Also with little buggies you have no space to throw in bucket and spades, beach bag etc.. if you are going to las Americas, it is very hilly in parts, so you may appreciate a buggy with decent wheels.

dublinlady wrote: »
    I have the zia - and I'm shocked (and delighted!) it fit in overhead??! Surely they'd just bring to the door of plane and then put in the bottom? That's where ours has always gone?

The mclarens look like they fold smaller than the zia? But not sure if they recline. The zia is great - I would def borrow or buy them second hand for that time frame tho!

I know Dublinlady, we've taken it on 2 plane trips, it's 1st flight to Barcelona with Aer Lingus when they saw us fold it at the bottom of the steps they just said to bring it up and put it in over head! That was almost 4yrs ago now. The 2nd trip it went in the bottom as expected. I'm very happy with the Zia, ours is 4yrs old, on it's 2nd child and looks perfect. It's pretty similar to the Quinny Zapp i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Mrs W

Millem wrote: »
    I test drove the maclaren quest in denim in boots (liffey valley). It is fab fab fab. €200 and really sturdy. The other colours are around €189 in mothercare etc. I still haven't seen the zia in the flesh :(

Ha that's the one I bought! If you buy online you get another 10% off too so actually cost 180.
    The denim is lovely too

I was actually going to buy the silver cross Zeta, it's 70stg on amazon with a lovely footmuff and even has an extended sun visor bit that comes down under the top one, I left it too late to get it in time though so went for the maclaren

Mrs W wrote: »
    Ha that's the one I bought! If you buy online you get another 10% off too so actually cost 180.
    The denim is lovely too

I was actually going to buy the silver cross Zeta, it's 70stg on amazon with a lovely footmuff and even has an extended sun visor bit that comes down under the top one, I left it too late to get it in time though so went for the maclaren

That's great thanks for the 10% off! My mum has a 10% off hse card in boots and I was going to use it in store either! What is the silver cross zeta?

Ha maybe it's not silvercross at all! I looked at that many of them!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/ZETA-VOOOM-COMPLETE-HEADHUGGER-RAINCOVER/dp/B007TGZ5G2/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1400840628&sr=8-6&keywords=Silver+cross+zeta

The reviews are really good too

Ha maybe it's not silvercross at all! I looked at that many of them!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/ZETA-VOOOM-COMPLETE-HEADHUGGER-RAINCOVER/dp/B007TGZ5G2/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1400840628&sr=8-6&keywords=Silver+cross+zeta

The reviews are really good too

I would prefer to see a buggy in the flesh! I am loving the maclaren, it is just so sturdy! I hated the quinny zapp xtra and felt it was so flimsy and rickety even though some people rave about them. I just need to see the zia star now

I saw the denim quest in Liffey Valley last night and I saw it had the head support for a newborn. Considering it's now suitable from birth it's a fantastic price for a buggy that will last until your child doesn't need one anymore and it'll be still as good as new.

The denim was particularly cute too :)

I saw the denim quest in Liffey Valley last night and I saw it had the head support for a newborn. Considering it's now suitable from birth it's a fantastic price for a buggy that will last until your child doesn't need one anymore and it'll be still as good as new.

The denim was particularly cute too :)

The denim is my fave :) I still love my cameleon though especially the pram for a newborn but obviously there is a huge price difference! Love the handles on the maclaren and it is lovely to push.

• Advertisement

Millem wrote: »
    I would prefer to see a buggy in the flesh! I am loving the maclaren, it is just so sturdy! I hated the quinny zapp xtra and felt it was so flimsy and rickety even though some people rave about them. I just need to see the zia star now

The girl in the shop recommended it to me above the maclaren! It was 100 there without the footmuff, I only checked amazon for the reviews and spotted the deal.

I nearly don't want to take my lovely denim maclaren getting flung around the plane now:-(

The girl in the shop recommended it to me above the maclaren! It was 100 there without the footmuff, I only checked amazon for the reviews and spotted the deal.

I nearly don't want to take my lovely denim maclaren getting flung around the plane now:-(

I dunno I have heard it is hard to beat the maclaren. The Tralee nursery man said in 20 years he has never had a maclaren returned to him! So that is a good sign!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,315 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Ended up getting a pair of these in argos, at €50 each they seem perfect for what we want, lightweight but sturdy enough & have a reclining seat so they can lie down & have & at such a reasonable price well in budget too. I just hope Aer Lingus don't have any issues with them now.
    www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/9142653/Trail/searchtext%3EBUGGYS.htm
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

My mum has one of those strollers in her house, does the job perfectly! My 3.5 year old still fits in it (although refuses to put the straps on anymore!).
    For that price they're great!

DvB wrote: »
    Ended up getting a pair of these in argos, at €50 each they seem perfect for what we want, lightweight but sturdy enough & have a reclining seat so they can lie down & have & at such a reasonable price well in budget too. I just hope Aer Lingus don't have any issues with them now.

DvB you know you can buy clips to attach the 2 buggies together, might be handy if one of you wants to take the 2 kids on your own while away. I can't say i've used them but i know a friend who has used them with Mamas & Papas strollers.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Prince-Lionheart-6550-Pushchair-Connectors/dp/B000056J23/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1401121008&sr=8-1&keywords=stroller+clips+to+attach+2+strollers+together

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

DvB wrote: »

That's the one we bought last year, and aerlingus defo didn't have an issue with it. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,315 ✭✭✭✭DvB

galah wrote: »
    That's the one we bought last year, and aerlingus defo didn't have an issue with it. :-)

That's a relief, did you have to check them in with the luggage or did they allow you bring them on with you as you were boarding? We'd be hoping to keep them with us as long as we can in the airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

You can bring them right to the gate. You just need to get a label on them at check in but can keep them with you. Depending on the airport you're going to they'll either be at the bottom if the steps of airplane when you arrive or at the baggage belts (but normally come out first if it's not til then).

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭mrs moneypenny

I live in Tenerife and when I've family or friends over with toddlers, we hire them from a local company, here's their email:- sunshinehireshop@hotmail.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

Got this over weekend - Joie Nitro - it's still half price in Argos til end of today. 63 euros.

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/1519796.htm

Find it brilliant to be honest. Quite light but very easy to push. I was getting really achey arms with my other one as handles were too low.

Suitable from newborn as reclines flat and comes with a headhugger but also grand as light pushchair for a toddler.

Got it as going away soon and wanted something lighter anyway

Advertisement