Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin clubs paying players..

• 22-05-2014 11:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭

it was news to me that Colm Begley 'works' for a club in Dublin who apparently have the resources to employ players like himself.

does this qualify as 'pay for play' ?? (which i presumed GAA members were implacably opposed to.)

in the media coverage of the Begley affair i didn't notice any debate about the appropriateness of his financial arrangement with the Parnells club.

obviously the Dublin county board have enormous financial resources way above any other county which they spent lavishly on the Dublin team. but we shouldn't be surprised really that they are even ordinary clubs in the county that are similarly minted.

are they other clubs in the capital doing what Parnells are with Begley?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

freddiek wrote: »
    it was news to me that Colm Begley 'works' for a club in Dublin who apparently have the resources to employ players like himself.

does this qualify as 'pay for play' ?? (which i presumed GAA members were implacably opposed to.)

in the media coverage of the Begley affair i didn't notice any debate about the appropriateness of his financial arrangement with the Parnells club.

obviously the Dublin county board have enormous financial resources way above any other county which they spent lavishly on the Dublin team. but we shouldn't be surprised really that they are even ordinary clubs in the county that are similarly minted.

This has been going on for years and is nothing new or uncommon. Sylvesters employ Eugene Keating from Cavan for example. His role is to condition teams AFAIK.

Brigids in Blanchardstown employed Rory Gallagher as a "development coach" for years during the 00s. When you think about it though, Brigids in Blanchardstown probably have a higher catchment area than counties like Cavan or Leitrim. Even with other clubs nearby them, there are 100k people in Blanchardstown. It's not surprising that these clubs have such huge resources.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,413 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

These people are payed to work for the clubs not play for them. If the clubs need a person to fulfill a roll and they can give it to a player then why not? These are nearly all sporting positions its not like they are employing Bernard Brogan on 40,000 a year to be the lounge boy in the bar. Its a win win for the club and the player, I'm sure some clubs are sailing close to the wind but I'd say most are doing things right.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭freddiek

Lemlin wrote: »
    This has been going on for years and is nothing new or uncommon. Sylvesters employ Eugene Keating from Cavan for example. His role is to condition teams AFAIK.

Brigids in Blanchardstown employed Rory Gallagher as a "development coach" for years during the 00s. When you think about it though, Brigids in Blanchardstown probably have a higher catchment area than counties like Cavan or Leitrim. Even with other clubs nearby them, there are 100k people in Blanchardstown. It's not surprising that these clubs have such huge resources.

"development coach"

these clubs can put whatever spin on it they like but the real reason they want guys like Begley is for what they can do for them on the pitch. i'm sure a club like Parnells can find some other accomplished person who's not an active inter-county player to provide the 'expertise' they need.

so it is basically pay for play as far i'm concerned. Dublin's status as the Golden Goose of the Association has ensured that they get very preferential treatment from the media these days and issues like this are not really investigated. in fact the media chose to target the Laois manager for his decision to leave Begley out. even after Begley had broken the rules.

as for Rory Gallagher, that turned out to a wise investment for Brigids as they won a Leinster title. didn't his brother come alone for the ride too??

the Brigids back then had so many outsiders they were like the League of Nations as i recall it. but par for the course for most successful Dublin clubs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭robbiezero

"development coach"

these clubs can put whatever spin on it they like but the real reason they want guys like Begley is for what they can do for them on the pitch. i'm sure a club like Parnells can find some other accomplished person who's not an active inter-county player to provide the 'expertise' they need.

so it is basically pay for play as far i'm concerned. Dublin's status as the Golden Goose of the Association has ensured that they get very preferential treatment from the media these days and issues like this are not really investigated. in fact the media chose to target the Laois manager for his decision to leave Begley out. even after Begley had broken the rules.

as for Rory Gallagher, that turned out to a wise investment for Brigids as they won a Leinster title. didn't his brother come alone for the ride too??

the Brigids back then had so many outsiders they were like the League of Nations as i recall it. but par for the course for most successful Dublin clubs

What rules did Begley break?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,325 ✭✭✭howiya

No

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,915 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

"development coach"

We all know you fancy Dublin big time, just ask her out and don't be so worried about getting rejected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

"development coach"

No spin.
    All clubs in rugby and other sports have similar development coaches. They are coaches who go into the local schools and provide coaching, help increase playing numbers etc and certainly isn't pay for play. How do you know that the club cant find another person and a inter county player is ideal for this position...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

What a steaming pile of you know what. During the height of the property boom, Parnells sold some unused training pitches that they owed. They got millions for the land. They poured that money into building their clubhouse and state of the art fitness facilities and gym. Those facilities are now a massive money making operation for them. They operates as all gyms do, they sell memberships and charge a fee for fitness classes. That is how they make their money to pay the likes of Begley. The Dublin County board & their untold riches has shag all to do with any of it.

I don't have a problem at all with Begley working there, other than I'd prefer if it were a Dub. As long as he has the necessary qualifications (which he does) who better can teach young aspiring inter county footballers what it takes to be an inter county footballer, than a current inter county footballer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭Justin10

"

Who did they have except for the two Gallaghers?

His cousin Raymond did. I may be totally incorrect (can't find a squad listing from 2003) but I think Brigids had a few Fermanagh lads at the time.

• Advertisement

ProudDUB wrote: »
    What a steaming pile of you know what. During the height of the property boom, Parnells sold some unused training pitches that they owed. They got millions for the land. They poured that money into building their clubhouse and state of the art fitness facilities and gym. Those facilities are now a massive money making operation for them. They operates as all gyms do, they sell memberships and charge a fee for fitness classes. That is how they make their money to pay the likes of Begley. The Dublin County board & their untold riches has shag all to do with any of it.

I don't have a problem at all with Begley working there, other than I'd prefer if it were a Dub. As long as he has the necessary qualifications (which he does) who better can teach young aspiring inter county footballers what it takes to be an inter county footballer, than a current inter county footballer?

Lads, no need to be getting wound up. Check the guy's posting history, it's not just GAA, it's every facet of the life of the city that preoccupies him, constantly. He's got the hots for ye, big time. Just can't admit it.

(Pretty good troll though, I'll give him that.)

That being said, while there's nothing illegal about the Begley thing (or Conor Mortimer for that matter), it looked like blatant poaching either way. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,413 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Lads, no need to be getting wound up. Check the guy's posting history, it's not just GAA, it's every facet of the life of the city that preoccupies him, constantly. He's got the hots for ye, big time. Just can't admit it.

That being said, while there's nothing illegal about the Begley thing (or Conor Mortimer for that matter), it looked like blatant poaching either way. ;)

Cheers man, yeah had already done that and it was page after page of Dublin related posts. Think his wife must have run off with a Dub.

His cousin Raymond did. I may be totally incorrect (can't find a squad listing from 2003) but I think Brigids had a few Fermanagh lads at the time.

They had the two Gallaghers and Moran who is still with them, so he wouldn't even be classes as an outsider.

In fairness Conor got so used to life in Dublin during all the years it took him to finish college in DCU that he was never going to go back to Mayo. It was only a matter of him finishing college (students not allowed transfer) and which club he would join

Rochey18 wrote: »
    They had the two Gallaghers and Moran who is still with them, so he wouldn't even be classes as an outsider.

Have you a team list at all? I thought they had Tom Brewster as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Freddies last ban expired then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

Ah come on lads.

The op may have an axe to grind, but the idea that some players have moved clubs because of cash entitlements is essentially correct.

I had one inter-county player tell me himself that he had an offer of €15k in cash and a job if he transferred clubs to a prominent Dublin club.

This was at the height of the Celtic Tiger, but if anyone doesn't believe some players have been compensated for moving clubs they are living in cloud cuckoo land.

One positive of the recession is that this type of nonsense has been seriously curtailed.

Overall the number is very small but to think it hasn't happened is naive in the extreme.

It's one of the reason I'd like to see even more openness in the GAA about matters related to money matters, especially in regards to payments to people who are playing/ coaching/managing.

Boom__Boom wrote: »
    Ah come on lads.

The op may have an axe to grind, but the idea that some players have moved clubs because of cash entitlements is essentially correct.

I had one inter-county player tell me himself that he had an offer of €15k in cash and a job if he transferred clubs to a prominent Dublin club.

This was at the height of the Celtic Tiger, but if anyone doesn't believe some players have been compensated for moving clubs they are living in cloud cuckoo land.

One positive of the recession is that this type of nonsense has been seriously curtailed.

Overall the number is very small but to think it hasn't happened is naive in the extreme.

It's one of the reason I'd like to see even more openness in the GAA about matters related to money matters, especially in regards to payments to people who are playing/ coaching/managing.

To be honest it doesn't just happen in Dublin. Cavan Gaels developed a well deserved reputation throughout the 00s for "picking" up players here in Cavan.

One particular player transferred because he was attending Cavan Institute and living in the town. He was originally from a townland and played with a club all of fifteen minutes drive from the town.

Rochey18 wrote: »
    Who did they have except for the two Gallaghers?

the bleedin' captain played inter-county with Leitrim. Jason Ward. probably others i can't remember

robbiezero wrote: »
    What rules did Begley break?

the rule that he wasn't to play a club match for his Employer so close to Laois' biggest game this year.

but money talks i suppose.

• Advertisement

the rule that he wasn't to play a club match for his Employer so close to Laois' biggest game this year.

but money talks i suppose.

Club comes first. That's what the association is all about Freddy.

the bleedin' captain played inter-county with Leitrim. Jason Ward. probably others i can't remember

He played for leitrim, and? Brigids was his club. Bruster never played for brigids

Darcy played for leitrim too but again his club was brigids

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Boom__Boom wrote: »
    Ah come on lads.

I don't think anyone is naive enough to think it isn't happening and it's not just in Dublin to be fair. Unfortunately the OP has a history of starting threads that turn into car crashes because of the OP's anti Dublin agenda. It's got boring at this stage.

Club comes first. That's what the association is all about Freddy.

in this case Begley is hiring out his services to a club in a county far from where he was reared. perhaps his own club wish they could afford to pay him to tog out for them.

truly a warped idea of what the Association should be about.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

in this case Begley is hiring out his services to a club in a county far from where he was reared. perhaps his own club wish they could afford to pay him to tog out for them.

truly a warped idea of what the Association should be about.

did you ever think as to what Begley brings to Parnells off the field? Relatively speaking, they would be a lesser club in a huge catchement area. They have a qualified coach who has experience in professional sport in Australia. He came home after time out there, and wanted to study, but needed to be able to work at the same time. He studied in DCU and worked for Parnells. they had a position available, and got one of the best candidates possible for the job.

A warped idea that a player can get employment and enhance thousands of kids with his knowledge and experience and help promote the game in an area where it was considered weak enough?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

This thread is just another of the weekly "We hate Dublin GAA" threads.

Fact is, a number of Dublin clubs have got their finances in order and can afford to employ fitness coaches etc. Would people prefer if they were hiring Brian O'Driscoll or Niall Quinn and giving money to people in other sports.

The whole thread is ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 theredbull

a few points on this tread that i believe are important

Dublin clubs have a well earned reputation for paying players to transfer to them.

I was chairman of a club in the west 12-14 years ago when two players from our county transferred to a prominent north dublin club and received 10k each for their services. one was from my club and we couldnt convince him to stay as the money was too big a carrot.

In 2000 I was doing a course in the gaeltacht in Galway. My younger brother came over with me to improve his cupla focal. he was a good footballer and was chatting a couple of guys from Dublin one evening. They were n the course as well. One of the guys was associated with Parnells. When he heard that the bro had played county football at underage level he told him that he would sort him out with a job in Parnells and accommodation no problem. All he had to do was transter and he would be looked after. Brother thanked him and said that his current chairman wouldnt agree and the discussion ended. Wouldnt have believed it if i wasnt listening to the discussion.

Many young dublin players cannot get a game wtih their club first teams with all the players that are being brought in from other counties. Laois in particular seem to have a high percentage of their players playing in Dublin.

Look at the Leitrim captain playing with a dublin club. seems understandable when you realise that it would be a long commute to north leitrim from dublin.... but he actually lives and works in longford.

GAA is getting very unbalanced and something needs to be done.
    Begley did break the rules and the Laois manager was right. No player can expect to play a club match on the week the County team plays. Begley is bieng payed by parnells but only as a coach and not as a player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Gael85

this was Brigids team in 2003 Leinster Final

Leinster Club SFC Final
    St Brigids 3-11
    Round Towers 1-10
    St Brigids
    - P Keane, K Keane, D Cahill, M Cahill, G Norton, P Andrews, M Galvin 1-1, K Darcy 0-1, J Ward, J Noonan 0-3, Rory Gallagher 0-3, D Lally, C Bonnar 0-1, D Darcy 2-1, Raymond Gallagher. Sub: C Ryan for Noonan

Rory and Ray Gallagher were only 2 non dubs that started.Sean Quinn(Fermanagh) and Colin McGlynn(Leitrim) were part of panel

I think need you to do your homework before posting .Jason Ward is from Dublin, He along with Declan Darcy played for Leitrim under the parent rule.
    What county are you from Freddiek?

• Advertisement

Have you a team list at all? I thought they had Tom Brewster as well.
    Brewster never played in Dublin. Another Fermanagh man Sean Quinn Junior actually played with Brigids for a number of years

theredbull wrote: »
    a few points on this tread that i believe are important

Dublin clubs have a well earned reputation for paying players to transfer to them.

I was chairman of a club in the west 12-14 years ago when two players from our county transferred to a prominent north dublin club and received 10k each for their services. one was from my club and we couldnt convince him to stay as the money was too big a carrot.

In 2000 I was doing a course in the gaeltacht in Galway. My younger brother came over with me to improve his cupla focal. he was a good footballer and was chatting a couple of guys from Dublin one evening. They were n the course as well. One of the guys was associated with Parnells. When he heard that the bro had played county football at underage level he told him that he would sort him out with a job in Parnells and accommodation no problem. All he had to do was transter and he would be looked after. Brother thanked him and said that his current chairman wouldnt agree and the discussion ended. Wouldnt have believed it if i wasnt listening to the discussion.

Many young dublin players cannot get a game wtih their club first teams with all the players that are being brought in from other counties. Laois in particular seem to have a high percentage of their players playing in Dublin.

Look at the Leitrim captain playing with a dublin club. seems understandable when you realise that it would be a long commute to north leitrim from dublin.... but he actually lives and works in longford.

GAA is getting very unbalanced and something needs to be done.
    Begley did break the rules and the Laois manager was right. No player can expect to play a club match on the week the County team plays. Begley is bieng payed by parnells but only as a coach and not as a player.

In the past Dublin clubs recruited from the country. This is not happening as much now as clubs are bringing through the young players. Last week Brigids, Kilmacud Crokes and St Sylvesters actually had no non-dubs in their panel. I have highlighted non-dubs in bold below country played senior championship in Dublin last week. Parnells are the only club at the moment that have recruited large number of players from outside and they wouldn't be considered a top and getting knocked out in 1st round of championship confirmed this.
    Clubs bringing in outside players in also common in top clubs in Cork, Galway, Antrim & Limerick

BALLYMUN KICKHAMS: S Currie; K Connolly, S George, Eoin Dolan; A Hubbard, J McCarthy, J Burke; Davey Byrne, M Brady; E Reilly, Derek Byrne, J Whelan; P McMahon, F Andrews, L O’Donovan. Subs: J Small for Reilly and K Leahy for Andrews (35), D Rock for O’Donovan (38), Enda Dolan for Davey Byrne (51), C Midleton for McMahon (54).

ST VINCENT’S: J Gill; K Bonnie, H Gill, T Diamond; B Egan, G Brennan, M Concarr; C Diamond, D Murphy; G Burke, D Connolly, S Carthy; A Martin, C Dorney, T Quinn. Subs: N Mullins for Brennan (40), A Baxter for Connolly (46), L Bree for Bonnie and M Loftus for Carthy (49), S Byrne for Egan and N Billings for Quinn (57).

ST OLIVER PLUNKETT’S/ER: A O'Mara; R O'Connor, S Lyons, E Clarke; D Lally, J Brogan, D Kelly; P McNulty, R McConnell; C Dunleavy, A Brogan, P Brogan; G Smith, L Herron, B Brogan. Subs: N Walsh for NcNulty (5, black card), P Lee for Herron (50), D Matthews for McConnell (52, black card), D Brogan for Kelly (57).

KILMACUD CROKES: D Nestor; Rory O'Carroll, E Culligan, Ross O'Carroll; K Nolan, R McGowan, R Ryan; D Magee, C O'Sullivan; D Campbell, S Cunningham, C Dias; B O'Rorke, P Mannion, P Burke. Subs: D Kelleher for Campbell (27), M Vaughan for O'Rorke (half-time), L óg Ó hÉineacháin for Ryan (41), B McGrath for Culligan (44, black card).

BALLYBODEN ST ENDA’S: C Dooley; C Gibbons, A Waters, M Sullivan; D Nelson, T Hannifin, C Flaherty; MD McAuley, D O’Mahony; D O’Reilly, B Dwayne, C Dunne; K Naughton, R Cleary, A Kerin. Subs: [/B]C Gibbons for Sullivan (45), D McCabe for McAuley (45).

ST BRIGID'S: S Supple; G Kane, A McCarrick, A Daly; C Doyle, C Dorney, D Plunkett; C Mullins, S Murray; E Maguire, L McCarthy, G McIntyre; P Ryan, K Bonner, P Andrews. Subs: M Cahill for Bonner (30), J Troy for Murray (50).

NA FIANNA:R O’Flaherty; N McGovern, N Cooper, K Reilly; J Cooper, T Brady, E Connolly; JJ Martin, C O’Connor; P Quinn, A Caffrey, J Caffrey; C McHugh, O O Maoileidigh, D Quinn. Subs: E Neville for O Maoileidigh (12), E Mullan for McGovern (44), S Coughlan for Reilly (44), E Rutledge for J Cooper (49), D McGrath for McHugh (53), M O’Dea for N Cooper (56).

ST SYLVESTER'S: D McDonnell; J Peacock, F Carney, L Murphy; G Hazley, B Sexton, C McIntyre; R Hazley; S Cunningham; S O'Connor, G Sweeney, J Coughlan; A Foy, M McCarthy, E Fanning. Subs: B Ryan for Murphy (49), M Hazley for Coughlan (55), C McArdle for O'Connor (57).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 255 ✭✭mooonpie

Gael85 wrote: »
    I think need you to do your homework before posting .Jason Ward is from Dublin, He along with Declan Darcy played for Leitrim under the parent rule.
    What county are you from Freddiek?

But did Darcy not play club with Aughawillan when he was involved with Leitrim?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

mooonpie wrote: »
    But did Darcy not play club with Aughawillan when he was involved with Leitrim?

Darcy was from Dublin but played football from Leitrim under the parentage rule which was brought in to allow country teams take Dublin-born players with country parents.

Now there was an actual rule that discriminated as far as I recall Dublin could not avail of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭klairondavis

Last week Brigids, Kilmacud Crokes and St Sylvesters actually had no non-dubs in their panel.

Is Ronan Walsh not on the St Sylvester's panel anymore?

Oh Lord Freddiek I think this thread is after backfiring. Maybe you should just buy Dublin a drink and laugh at her jokes in future?

• Advertisement

Is Ronan Walsh not on the St Sylvester's panel anymore?

He transferred back to Cappagh Kildare in January

Godge wrote: »
    Darcy was from Dublin but played football from Leitrim under the parentage rule which was brought in to allow country teams take Dublin-born players with country parents.

Now there was an actual rule that discriminated as far as I recall Dublin could not avail of it.[/QUOT

Think only Division 3/4 teams are eligible to recruit players under parentage rule.
    2 Dubs -Shane McGrath playing with Clare and Donal Keane playing with Roscommon this season.

Crokes could have done with Brian Kavanagh last week

BALLYMUN KICKHAMS: S Currie; K Connolly, S George, Eoin Dolan; A Hubbard, J McCarthy, J Burke; Davey Byrne, M Brady; E Reilly, Derek Byrne, J Whelan; P McMahon, F Andrews, L O’Donovan. Subs: J Small for Reilly and K Leahy for Andrews (35), D Rock for O’Donovan (38), Enda Dolan for Davey Byrne (51), C Midleton for McMahon (54).

Is the M Brady Michael Brady from Cavan?

Any truth in the rumours David Govnry is heading to Ballymun?

Also, Eugene Keating is still with Sylvesters afaik. Just carrying a slight injury at the minute.

Is the M Brady Michael Brady from Cavan?

Any truth in the rumours David Govnry is heading to Ballymun?

Also, Eugene Keating is still with Sylvesters afaik. Just carrying a slight injury at the minute.

correct Michael Brady transferred from Mullahoran.
    No confirmation on Givney transfer yet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Drummerboy2

I heard Keating left Sylvesters, don't know who he went to though.

I heard Stephen Cluxton hasn't played for Parnells first team this year, deciding instead to play outfield for the Intermediate team. Why exactly I couldn't say, perhaps as a kind of protest to the outsiders on the team.

I heard its because he wants to keep on playing with the lads that he grew up playing with. The seniors are primarily lads in their mid 20's. SC is in his mid 30's, as are the lads on the Intermediate team, as they are now too old and slow for the seniors. He'd rather keep on playing with them, than a bunch of kids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭andyman

The more I find out about Cluxton the more I admire him. Literally just wants to play a bit of ball with his mates

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭AdpRo

In the past Dublin clubs recruited from the country. This is not happening as much now as clubs are bringing through the young players. Last week Brigids, Kilmacud Crokes and St Sylvesters actually had no non-dubs in their panel. I have highlighted non-dubs in bold below country played senior championship in Dublin last week. Parnells are the only club at the moment that have recruited large number of players from outside and they wouldn't be considered a top and getting knocked out in 1st round of championship confirmed this.
    Clubs bringing in outside players in also common in top clubs in Cork, Galway, Antrim & Limerick

ST VINCENT’S: J Gill; K Bonnie, H Gill, T Diamond; B Egan, G Brennan, M Concarr; C Diamond, D Murphy; G Burke, D Connolly, S Carthy; A Martin, C Dorney, T Quinn. Subs: N Mullins for Brennan (40), A Baxter for Connolly (46), L Bree for Bonnie and M Loftus for Carthy (49), S Byrne for Egan and N Billings for Quinn (57).

ST OLIVER PLUNKETT’S/ER: A O'Mara; R O'Connor, S Lyons, E Clarke; D Lally, J Brogan, D Kelly; P McNulty, R McConnell; C Dunleavy, A Brogan, P Brogan; G Smith, L Herron, B Brogan. Subs: N Walsh for NcNulty (5, black card), P Lee for Herron (50), D Matthews for McConnell (52, black card), D Brogan for Kelly (57).

KILMACUD CROKES: D Nestor; Rory O'Carroll, E Culligan, Ross O'Carroll; K Nolan, R McGowan, R Ryan; D Magee, C O'Sullivan; D Campbell, S Cunningham, C Dias; B O'Rorke, P Mannion, P Burke. Subs: D Kelleher for Campbell (27), M Vaughan for O'Rorke (half-time), L óg Ó hÉineacháin for Ryan (41), B McGrath for Culligan (44, black card).

BALLYBODEN ST ENDA’S: C Dooley; C Gibbons, A Waters, M Sullivan; D Nelson, T Hannifin, C Flaherty; MD McAuley, D O’Mahony; D O’Reilly, B Dwayne, C Dunne; K Naughton, R Cleary, A Kerin. Subs: [/B]C Gibbons for Sullivan (45), D McCabe for McAuley (45).

ST BRIGID'S: S Supple; G Kane, A McCarrick, A Daly; C Doyle, C Dorney, D Plunkett; C Mullins, S Murray; E Maguire, L McCarthy, G McIntyre; P Ryan, K Bonner, P Andrews. Subs: M Cahill for Bonner (30), J Troy for Murray (50).

NA FIANNA:R O’Flaherty; N McGovern, N Cooper, K Reilly; J Cooper, T Brady, E Connolly; JJ Martin, C O’Connor; P Quinn, A Caffrey, J Caffrey; C McHugh, O O Maoileidigh, D Quinn. Subs: E Neville for O Maoileidigh (12), E Mullan for McGovern (44), S Coughlan for Reilly (44), E Rutledge for J Cooper (49), D McGrath for McHugh (53), M O’Dea for N Cooper (56).

ST SYLVESTER'S: D McDonnell; J Peacock, F Carney, L Murphy; G Hazley, B Sexton, C McIntyre; R Hazley; S Cunningham; S O'Connor, G Sweeney, J Coughlan; A Foy, M McCarthy, E Fanning. Subs: B Ryan for Murphy (49), M Hazley for Coughlan (55), C McArdle for O'Connor (57).

In fairness Brigids would have O'Loughlin, Moran and Mulligan on 1st 15 last weekend if they had been available. Moran has been with the club years and is married to a sister of another player so probably not counted as an outsider at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

A club with a catchment area of 100k is an utter waste. Should be half a dozen clubs alloted different areas within that catchment. Same with other 'superclubs' in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭wicklowwonder

I transferred clubs at junior level for handiness sake and I am from Wicklow which isn't that far away from Dublin. Look at this way Dublin is the largest employment hub on the island by far, players move up to get a job, settle here, have a life here but spend a number of nights every week going home to train with the county, if they where to do the same with the club they would literally never be at home in Dublin. They may have wives, girlfriends etc living in Dublin who never see them because they are trekking to Mayo or Leitrim or Cavan or wherever every night to play ball for club and county. It's crazy, we are an amateur organisation you play closest to your life. Fair play to these players who actually stuck it out with their county teams while working in Dublin, they must have very considerate bosses (like maybe a GAA club would be ideal boss) to let them have time off for physio, training weekends etc to play an amateur sport. Paul Galvin for example couldn't fit in life/work in Dublin and playing in Kerry. End of day they are amateurs and it makes sense to play club football closest to your life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Drummerboy2

Orizio wrote: »
    A club with a catchment area of 100k is an utter waste. Should be half a dozen clubs alloted different areas within that catchment. Same with other 'superclubs' in Dublin.

You have to remember that GAA would be very much a minority sport in some areas. Blanchardstown, which is Brigids area, would be a very big soccer area. It not like rural Ireland where everybody is a member of the local GAA clubs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Brigid's aren't the only club in the area too. There are a number of clubs in the Blanchardstown area so it's not like every player in the catchment area can only choose to play for them.

Brigid's aren't the only club in the area too. There are a number of clubs in the Blanchardstown area so it's not like every player in the catchment area can only choose to play for them.

In Cavan you have 40 clubs and a population of 73,000.

You have to remember that GAA would be very much a minority sport in some areas. Blanchardstown, which is Brigids area, would be a very big soccer area. It not like rural Ireland where everybody is a member of the local GAA clubs.

That's a very derogatory comment tbh. Do you not think us culchies have discovered other sports!??

By no means Iis Cavan for example an area where everyone is a member of the GAA club. A sizeable chunk of our population in East Cavan still wear Dublin jerseys!

We have swimming clubs, karate, soccer, tri clubs etc. there's plenty of options for kids and adults other than GAA.

Think you are being a bit touchy there Lemlin. It is just a fact of life that kids who grow up in the suburbs of the main Irish cities have exposure to, and access to sports facilities that they won't have in rural areas. A kid growing up in Dublin 15 has access to loads of soccer, rugby, golf swimming etc etc facilities. Heck, even the National Acquatic Centre is out in Blanchardstown, if he feels a yen to become the next Michael Phelps.

If he has an interest in a particular sport, he has them all on his door step. He can also usually get to it by public transportation, so he doesn't have to rely on his parents driving him to it. If he wants to pursue it at more than hobby level, he'll have access to coaches and maybe professional advise. A young lad growing up in rural Ireland, won't have access to all that, so the local GAA club down the road, is what most of them turn to. So did their parents & grandparents before them, so it becomes a tradition. That just doesn't happen in Dublin, to the degree that it does in rural areas.

• Advertisement
Advertisement