Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin clubs paying players..

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Think you are being a bit touchy there Lemlin. It is just a fact of life that kids who grow up in the suburbs of the main Irish cities have exposure to, and access to sports facilities that they won't have in rural areas. A kid growing up in Dublin 15 has access to loads of soccer, rugby, golf swimming etc etc facilities. Heck, even the National Acquatic Centre is out in Blanchardstown, if he feels a yen to become the next Michael Phelps.

If he has an interest in a particular sport, he has them all on his door step. He can also usually get to it by public transportation, so he doesn't have to rely on his parents driving him to it. If he wants to pursue it at more than hobby level, he'll have access to coaches and maybe professional advise. A young lad growing up in rural Ireland, won't have access to all that, so the local GAA club down the road, is what most of them turn to. So did their parents & grandparents before them, so it becomes a tradition. That just doesn't happen in Dublin, to the degree that it does in rural areas.

Some of you Dublin lads seem to view rural areas as being something out of Darby O Gill and the Little People. It's like one time I brought a lad from Dublin down to Cavan while at college and the bus let us off and he asked where the street lights were!

Where I live in Cavan, I am ten minutes from either Virginia, Cavan town or Bailieboro. Cavan town has several gyms, a tennis club, a triathlon and cycling club, several swimming pools, rugby club, basketball club and a rounders team amongst others. Bailieboro has a swimming pool, soccer club, basketball club and others. Virginia has one of the most successful cycling and tri clubs in Ireland, a rugby team, a soccer club and numerous other clubs. And those are just the towns. Rural parishes also often have their own clubs such as athletics clubs .

The idea that there isn't just as much competition for the attention of young people in rural areas is ludicrous tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Lemlin wrote: »
    Some of you Dublin lads seem to view rural areas as being something out of Darby O Gill and the Little People. It's like one time I brought a lad from Dublin down to Cavan while at college and the bus let us off and he asked where the street lights were!

Well, where were they? :confused:

Bambi wrote: »
    Well, where were they? :confused:

In he towns and pedestrian areas!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Where I live in Cavan, I am ten minutes from either Virginia, Cavan town or Bailieboro. Cavan town has several gyms, a tennis club, a triathlon and cycling club, several swimming pools, rugby club, basketball club and a rounders team amongst others. Bailieboro has a swimming pool, soccer club, basketball club and others. Virginia has one of the most successful cycling and tri clubs in Ireland, a rugby team, a soccer club and numerous other clubs. And those are just the towns. Rural parishes also often have their own clubs such as athletics clubs .

The idea that there isn't just as much competition for the attention of young people in rural areas is ludicrous tbh.

You are just putting words in my/our mouths now & coming up with over the top words and phrases that no one here has even remotely said or even implied. I honestly don't know why you are so determined to be insulted by all this. Kids in suburban environments with large populations generally have access to all kinds of things that kids in rural ones don't...from shopping centres to sporting facilities to cinemas to swimming pools. It is just a matter of demographics. It happens all over the world, not just in Ireland. I don't know why you seem to feel so insulted by people just pointing it out. It's not an attack on those who choose to live in a non urban environment.

Yes, rural areas have their sports & athletic clubs, but answer me this, where does a kid from a rural parish in Cavan go if he/she wants to be a world class sprinter? Where is the nearest indoor training track? Where is the nearest outdoor one? Where does he go for proper physio & rub downs after training sessions? Where does he go for proper training from IOC accredited coaches?

My niece (who lives in Castleknock) has all that 5 minutes from her front door. Where does her cousin who lives about 5 miles outside of Cootehill, go? Which one is mostly likely to keep on at the sport and, which is the one most likely to throw in the towel?

You are just putting words in my/our mouths now & coming up with over the top words and phrases that no one here has even remotely said or even implied. I honestly don't know why you are so determined to be insulted by all this. Kids in suburban environments with large populations generally have access to all kinds of things that kids in rural ones don't...from shopping centres to sporting facilities to cinemas to swimming pools. It is just a matter of demographics. It happens all over the world, not just in Ireland. I don't know why you seem to feel so insulted by people just pointing it out. It's not an attack on those who choose to live in a non urban environment.

Yes, rural areas have their sports & athletic clubs, but answer me this, where does a kid from a rural parish in Cavan go if he/she wants to be a world class sprinter? Where is the nearest indoor training track? Where is the nearest outdoor one? Where does he go for proper physio & rub downs after training sessions? Where does he go for proper training from IOC accredited coaches?

My niece (who lives in Castleknock) has all that 5 minutes from her front door. Where does her cousin who lives about 5 miles outside of Cootehill, go? Which one is mostly likely to keep on at the sport and, which is the one most likely to throw in the towel?

I'm not "determined to be insulted". I just find the mentality on display amazing. The fact is there are just as many sports and interests on offer to rural kids as there are urban kids IMO. Your argument may have been relevant pre Celtic Tiger but it just isn't now.

Re Castleknock, it's probably one of the wealthiest regions in the country. Would a child living in Clondalkin or Finglas have the same facilities in their area?

Your niece is also very lucky to have that all accessible within 5 minutes. I lived on the border of Blanchardstown and Castleknock. It took me 15-20 minutes to walk to work but often took 25-30 if I contemplated bringing the car.

Has Ireland ever produced a world class sprinter? I don't think we have and I doubt we ever will. In terms of runners, Catherina McKiernan is one of the best we ever had and she's from Cornafean so your example is fairly poor tbh.

Alot of GAA pitches in Cavan have running tracks and gyms now. Killygarry pitch and Virginia both do and both are within ten minutes drive of me, Killygarry wouldn't be far from Cootehill. Peter Waksh runs a running club there and has between 120-200 people every Tuesday and Thursday evening.

I'm also sure there are IOC accredited coaches in Cavan. Cavan Institute runs fitness courses for example.

As for physios, there are plenty on offer. Ronan Carolan is one of the best known physios in the country. He served as physio for the Aussue Rules team on several occasions.

Like for you to come out with a sentence like this - "where does he go for proper physio and runs downs after training" - amazes me. If anything, there's an abundance of physios all over the country.

You're stating there that you feel rural areas wouldn't have a basic enough local service like a physio which to me is insulting.

I did not state any where in my post, that Cavan does not have access to a physios. I simply asked a question. What lad is more likely to be exposed to a sport and want to stick with it? Is it the lad who has all of its facilities on his doorstep & can get to them easily enough under his own steam? Or is it the one who needs his parents to drive him to the nearest indoor track/swimming pool/golf course etc etc 10 plus miles away? I think the answer is pretty obvious. But I am done talking about it, as you seem determined to see an insult in everything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Think ProudDub has made some very good points and to be fair in Cavan the GAA is the only real show in town. There is no tradition of soccer to compete with the GAA - you have small pockets and most of the lads playing soccer's first love is GAA and at an adult level it's virtually non existent - when the army barracks closed in Cavan some teams from Cavan played their home games in Monaghan. The GAA has no real competition there.

Re Athletics in which I am involved and am a member of a club. There are four Athletics clubs in Cavan - Shercock, Bailieboro, Annalee and Innyvale - only two of them compete in any real sense at underage and the numbers are not huge. Shercock have good track facilities - the rest of the clubs have next to no facilities and rely on the goodwill of the GAA. My own club train on a potholed "track" and when there is a match on the 3G cars can park on the track. Athletics doesn't take kids until under 8 and the numbers are tiny and are swelled in non-GAA season.

Peter Walsh trains adults who in the main part have left their GAA days far behind.

Catherina McKiernan played camoige as her first sport until she was 17.

P.S. My non-gaa physio is based in Kildare and I am far from a sprinter! - Athletes have different needs of physios from GAA physio's

For the vast vast majority of kids in Cavan the GAA is the only show in town and the rest of the sports are only hobbies or sports for the GAA off season.

I did not state any where in my post, that Cavan does not have access to a physios. I simply asked a question. What lad is more likely to be exposed to a sport and want to stick with it? Is it the lad who has all of its facilities on his doorstep & can get to them easily enough under his own steam? Or is it the one who needs his parents to drive him to the nearest indoor track/swimming pool/golf course etc etc 10 plus miles away? I think the answer is pretty obvious. But I am done talking about it, as you seem determined to see an insult in everything.

Your post asked where a person would go to get a rub down after a run. That to me is suggesting that a physio is something not readily accessible.

Have you any research to back up any of this? I still find it a very weak argument tbh.

You also started your point by stating that Dublin GAA will have greater competition with other sports. You're now saying it is easier for Dublin people to access these sports.

Therefore, if I was to accept your point, would this not also extend to GAA clubs in Dublin? Since the patrons have easier access they are more likely to stick with GAA than their rural counterparts, by your reckoning anyway.

So you're actually nullifying your own point. In your opinion Dublin GAA clubs have greater competition than rural clubs with other sports but are more likely to hold onto their patrons than rural clubs due to accessibility.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

GAA is not as prevalent in Dublin as it is in most rural parts of country. It's just not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭freddiek

nm wrote: »
    GAA is not as prevalent in Dublin as it is in most rural parts of country. It's just not.

Gaelic Games are rural pursuits.

The vast majority of players in Dublin will have parents from rural areas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

I'm not "determined to be insulted". I just find the mentality on display amazing. The fact is there are just as many sports and interests on offer to rural kids as there are urban kids IMO. Your argument may have been relevant pre Celtic Tiger but it just isn't now.

Re Castleknock, it's probably one of the wealthiest regions in the country. Would a child living in Clondalkin or Finglas have the same facilities in their area?

Your niece is also very lucky to have that all accessible within 5 minutes. I lived on the border of Blanchardstown and Castleknock. It took me 15-20 minutes to walk to work but often took 25-30 if I contemplated bringing the car.

Has Ireland ever produced a world class sprinter? I don't think we have and I doubt we ever will. In terms of runners, Catherina McKiernan is one of the best we ever had and she's from Cornafean so your example is fairly poor tbh.

Alot of GAA pitches in Cavan have running tracks and gyms now. Killygarry pitch and Virginia both do and both are within ten minutes drive of me, Killygarry wouldn't be far from Cootehill. Peter Waksh runs a running club there and has between 120-200 people every Tuesday and Thursday evening.

I'm also sure there are IOC accredited coaches in Cavan. Cavan Institute runs fitness courses for example.

As for physios, there are plenty on offer. Ronan Carolan is one of the best known physios in the country. He served as physio for the Aussue Rules team on several occasions.

Like for you to come out with a sentence like this - "where does he go for proper physio and runs downs after training" - amazes me. If anything, there's an abundance of physios all over the country.

You're stating there that you feel rural areas wouldn't have a basic enough local service like a physio which to me is insulting.

Catherina McKeirnan is one of the best sports people this country has ever produced. How many tartan tracks are there in Cavan? In my county(mayo) there is one which is open about 18 months. Rural Ireland is light years behind Dublin, and more importantly, rural areas of other developed countries in terms or sporting infrastructure and indeed infrastructure generally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

freddiek wrote: »
    Gaelic Games are rural pursuits.

The vast majority of players in Dublin will have parents from rural areas.

What has this to do with the statement that Dublin clubs are paying players???????????????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,413 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

ArielAtom wrote: »
    What has this to do with the statement that Dublin clubs are paying players???????????????

Thats been dealt with now its a pro dublin anti rural/ pro rural anti dublin with special regards to sporting facilities that may or may not exist debate, it really is a great debate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Clubs in Dublin ARE being given an unfair advantage due to their funding via the Dublin County Board, via the Irish Sports Council.

What clubs down the country could afford to employ someone full time (even if only paying half their salary?).
    It is all made possible with funding from the taxpayer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Drummerboy2

Lemlin - the difference with Dublin is that, unlike rural Ireland, there has never been a tradition of playing GAA. It was a case for a long time, that most of the kids playing GAA had parents from the country. Thats changing now, look at the success Ballymun Kickhams have had lately at juvenile level.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭robbiezero

theredbull wrote: »
    No player can expect to play a club match on the week the County team plays. Begley is bieng payed by parnells but only as a coach and not as a player.

I would have the opposite view. No player can refuse to play championship for his club because he is playing county.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

robbiezero wrote: »
    I would have the opposite view. No player can refuse to play championship for his club because he is playing county.

Anyone who says otherwise hasn't a clue about the GAA, simple as that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

robbiezero wrote: »
    keane2097 wrote: »
    Anyone who says otherwise hasn't a clue about the GAA, simple as that.

The club is the cornerstone of the GAA. If Begley is a member of Parnells, for good or ill, that is where his primary loyalty should rest.

Your post asked where a person would go to get a rub down after a run. That to me is suggesting that a physio is something not readily accessible.

Have you any research to back up any of this? I still find it a very weak argument tbh.

You also started your point by stating that Dublin GAA will have greater competition with other sports. You're now saying it is easier for Dublin people to access these sports.

Therefore, if I was to accept your point, would this not also extend to GAA clubs in Dublin? Since the patrons have easier access they are more likely to stick with GAA than their rural counterparts, by your reckoning anyway.

So you're actually nullifying your own point. In your opinion Dublin GAA clubs have greater competition than rural clubs with other sports but are more likely to hold onto their patrons than rural clubs due to accessibility.

No, his points are not contradictory.

His main point is that the GAA infrastructure is the strongest sporting infrastructure in most rural areas. This is factually true.

In Dublin, by contrast, other sports have equally strong infrastructures - from athletics and swimming to rugby and soccer. This equally strong infrastructure means that Dublin GAA faces a contest for sporting loyalty among kids that rural GAA does not.

Simple logic.

Godge wrote: »
    No, his points are not contradictory.

His main point is that the GAA infrastructure is the strongest sporting infrastructure in most rural areas. This is factually true.

In Dublin, by contrast, other sports have equally strong infrastructures - from athletics and swimming to rugby and soccer. This equally strong infrastructure means that Dublin GAA faces a contest for sporting loyalty among kids that rural GAA does not.

Simple logic.

Simple enough logic, but I'm not sure it's substantiated very well. How can you judge athletics infrastructure equal to GAA infrastructure in Dublin but not in e.g. Kerry? What metrics are you using?

It would seem to me that GAA clubs in Dublin are miles ahead of clubs in other sports in most areas. I've no actual evidence to support that assertion either, but we're on equal footing from that POV.

• Advertisement

keane2097 wrote: »
    Simple enough logic, but I'm not sure it's substantiated very well. How can you judge athletics infrastructure equal to GAA infrastructure in Dublin but not in e.g. Kerry? What metrics are you using?

It would seem to me that GAA clubs in Dublin are miles ahead of clubs in other sports in most areas. I've no actual evidence to support that assertion either, but we're on equal footing from that POV.

National Aquatics Centre for swimming.
    Santry Stadium for athletics.

I will stop before embarrassing you.

Godge wrote: »
    National Aquatics Centre for swimming.
    Santry Stadium for athletics.

I will stop before embarrassing you.

Oh my stars, I'm supposed to be embarrassed?

The National Aquatic Centre is meant to be responsible for a historical challenge for playing numbers to the GAA from the sport of swimming having opened ten years ago? You are aware the Dublin footballers use it?

lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

i'm sure a club like Parnells can find some other accomplished person who's not an active inter-county player to provide the 'expertise' they need.

Are you really suggesting that clubs intentionally pass their money out of the game to a non-GAA member, instead of keeping it within the game and hiring GAA members?

Why do you hate the GAA?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 theredbull

I was talking to a former intercounty player yesterday. He attended an open night discussion on the gaa last week. talk had brolly and more gaa experts discussing the championship. The main point he took from it was the statement that about 18 of the Dublin senior panel are not working and leave of absence for the summer to concentrate on playing with the dubs.

contrast that to the ordinary county player who works a 40 hour week or more and then trains... not a level playing field

I was talking to a former intercounty player yesterday. He attended an open night discussion on the gaa last week. talk had brolly and more gaa experts discussing the championship. The main point he took from it was the statement that about 18 of the Dublin senior panel are not working and leave of absence for the summer to concentrate on playing with the dubs.

contrast that to the ordinary county player who works a 40 hour week or more and then trains... not a level playing field

Would want to see some sort of citation for this to be honest.

Not a whole pile different from saying intercounty players who are teachers have an unfair advantage over the rest in any case.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭freddiek

wonder what the Dub contributors would be saying if Begley was a Dub playing his club football in another county and got on the wrong side of the Dublin management??

of course that would never happen because Dublin players don't have to leave their county for work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭Past30Now

Does this not mean that the other 15-20 guys on the Dublin panel are working like the "ordinary county player". A large number of the squad are young guys in college. Is the make up of the Dublin panel sufficiently different from the Cork/Donegal/Mayo panels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

of course that would never happen because Dublin players don't have to leave their county for work.

THE BASTARDS

wonder what the Dub contributors would be saying if Begley was a Dub playing his club football in another county and got on the wrong side of the Dublin management??

They do have to pay hugely inflated prices for everything though and according to the media they'll soon have to move out of Dublin if they want to afford a house :D

That is going to come as news to Bernard Brogan. He frequently makes trips to the UK for work. Last time I checked, Manchester, London and Glasgow were not part of Dublin, but don't let that stop you. :D

• Advertisement

more unsubstantiated rubbish.

Cluxton is a teacher, McCauley is a student, if you went through the rest of the country, you would find similar situations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,413 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

This is brilliant, now freddie thinks Dubs have an unfair advantage because the county can supply enough jobs for its inhabitants. Someone put their hands up, who gave him a wedgie whilst wearing a Dublin jersey when he was a child.

well some of its inhabitants

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Falconno4

That is absolute rubbish of the highest order & completely made up.

So you actually believe over half the Dublin panel went to their employers and asked for the summer off ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

Just a note on the summer off shyte. MDMA is a student who last year travelled from Galway to training every week as he was attending the Gaeltacht as part of his studies. Them Dubs don't have to travel only fall out of bed for training, matches etc is blown out of the water there!!!!

All intercounty players make sacrifices.

Advertisement