Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bridleways????

Options
  • 22-05-2014 11:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 19

I have a horse and enjoy hacking out, exploring the countryside, here in the UK we have many bridle ways that allow you to ride your horse on. From trying to reseach it seems that there pathways for walkers and cyclists but not for horses in Ireland. We are moving to the Galway/Mayo boarders, are there any horsey people out there that can advise on 'happy hacking'?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

There are currently no bridlepaths in Ireland. I know of two trying to be set up in Donegal but no, we just use roads and high vis.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

No bridleways over here. Even the Coilte woods are 'offically' no go areas. If your lucky enough to be on backroads that is all you will have. Mayo/Galway border a big area. Can you give nearest Town to narrow it down. I would know the area well .

• Registered Users Posts: 19 norwegian fjord

Esroh-Thank you for your response, we will be between Tuam and Killmaine, still in the process of buying the house and some of the maps show it in Mayo and some show it in Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭MedusaV8

I have a horse and enjoy hacking out, exploring the countryside, here in the UK we have many bridle ways that allow you to ride your horse on. From trying to reseach it seems that there pathways for walkers and cyclists but not for horses in Ireland. We are moving to the Galway/Mayo boarders, are there any horsey people out there that can advise on 'happy hacking'?

Crumbs!! Me too and I have been disappointed by the lack of bridleways. There is a riding centre in Oughterard but I'm looking at houses the other side of Lough Corrib

Keep in touch.

Esroh-Thank you for your response, we will be between Tuam and Killmaine, still in the process of buying the house and some of the maps show it in Mayo and some show it in Galway.

Hopefully we will almost be neighbours then. We are looking in Cross and around Kilmaine too.

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 norwegian fjord

It almost makes me want to cancel the move!! Trying to stay positive though, we have just come back from a few days of exploring the area more. We found a couple of circular routes (roadwork) that I can do. Not sure if the beaches are horse friendly, we went to Carrowmore which was beautiful. Not sure though if I will be able to keep my horsebox as I can't work out the tax and haven't yet approached an insurance company. My husband is also dissapointed, as a keen fisherman, he thought that there would be plenty of fishing for him, unfortunately he is a course fisherman, not popular from what we can see. Still he'll just have to learn to fly fish!!!

It almost makes me want to cancel the move!! Trying to stay positive though, we have just come back from a few days of exploring the area more. We found a couple of circular routes (roadwork) that I can do. Not sure if the beaches are horse friendly, we went to Carrowmore which was beautiful. Not sure though if I will be able to keep my horsebox as I can't work out the tax and haven't yet approached an insurance company. My husband is also dissapointed, as a keen fisherman, he thought that there would be plenty of fishing for him, unfortunately he is a course fisherman, not popular from what we can see. Still he'll just have to learn to fly fish!!!

I'm a little anxious too as we love the area but the land quality for grazing isn't as good as other areas. There is a hunt near Tuam so the riding must be reasonable. I used to live in Co Wexford and the riding was pretty good there as we had permissive riding on the local forestry commission land.

Good luck

Advertisement