Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Xbox Gaming ***No Spoilers***

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

I've tried several times to get in to it, I just can't

• maximoose wrote: »
    I've tried several times to get in to it, I just can't

It's a love it or hate it affair. Same with all the Witcher games for me personally.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,405 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I'd definitely give it a go at least, it's one of the most highly regarded games of the entire generation for a good reason but everything with gaming is subjective.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

I give this advice to anyone thinking of getting it: Get through the tutorial section first, and then give it a good few hours after that. The Bloody Baron storyline is basically the start of the game (you can feck off doing other things), so try to get through that. You'll know by then if you like it or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Really hoped it would live up to the hype, but was absolutely gutted with Witcher 3 (2 was poor enough too).
    Bought gold edition in Smyths, traded it ibto CEX next day.

Yester wrote: »
    Afternoon all. I'm looking to pick up a game or two for myself for xmas. I'm a big fan of the Fallout and Borderlands games (really looking for ward to The Outer Worlds). Any recommendations for older or new games would be appreciated.

Skyrim.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,499 ✭✭✭Yester

Thanks for the suggestions. ( I have played and enjoyed Skyrim, Roger) I just bought myself Sunset Overdrive and the Withcher 3. I'm looking forward to giving them both a go and I will report back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Speaking of Skyrim, is the elder scrolls online shıte?
    Or any good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Decided to check out hellblade on gamepass as it apprentice short enough that I'd finish it over the Christmas break. I'm over halfway through and not sure what to make of it. Some parts are great - the lorestones and helpings of Norse mythology, as well as the graphics and sound, but gameplay wise, ehh, it's not really what I'd call fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭amadablam

Decided to check out hellblade on gamepass as it apprentice short enough that I'd finish it over the Christmas break. I'm over halfway through and not sure what to make of it. Some parts are great - the lorestones and helpings of Norse mythology, as well as the graphics and sound, but gameplay wise, ehh, it's not really what I'd call fun.

Definitely recommend playing it on the headphones if you aren't already. Looks very good on the X too. Seriously atmospheric game.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

I felt the same about it, just played through it a few days ago. Almost gave up half way through as it just wasn't that much fun. Pretty much held down the run/jog button for most of it to try and get through it as quick as possible. Glad I experienced it but equally glad I didn't have to pay for it.

Anyone bought much in the sale? Got AC Odyssey and F1 2018 so far, Odyssey is fantastic. Have €37 credit on my account and debating what to get with it. Prey Deluxe Edition, Spyro, A Hat in Time. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Andrew76 wrote: »
    I felt the same about it, just played through it a few days ago. Almost gave up half way through as it just wasn't that much fun. Pretty much held down the run/jog button for most of it to try and get through it as quick as possible. Glad I experienced it but equally glad I didn't have to pay for it.

Anyone bought much in the sale? Got AC Odyssey and F1 2018 so far, Odyssey is fantastic. Have €37 credit on my account and debating what to get with it. Prey Deluxe Edition, Spyro, A Hat in Time. :)

Spyro is pretty good. That is if you are in to 3d platformers. Currently playing through it atm.

amadablam wrote: »
    Definitely recommend playing it on the headphones if you aren't already. Looks very good on the X too. Seriously atmospheric game.

Just finished it, handy 1000gs, good 'experience' more than a game, definitely worth checking out on gamepass, not sure if be as happy if had paid 20 euro for it though.

I liked Hellblade. Playing it again at the moment as it was on gamepass. Originally played on PS4. While the combat could be annoying, like enemies spawning in behind you out of view I did really like the audio cue's that went along with it. Kind of wish they'd explored that a bit more or do it in another game and expand on it a bit. I don't think I realised on my first play nor does the game tell you outside of an audio cue that you can use RT in combat to demolish enemies and that she has a gauge the mirror on her right hip. It's definitely not there on the list of combat controls on the pause screen, in the game it think they say "she needs to focus"

It does borrow a bit from "walkings sims" too.

I liked Hellblade. Playing it again at the moment as it was on gamepass. Originally played on PS4. While the combat could be annoying, like enemies spawning in behind you out of view I did really like the audio cue's that went along with it. Kind of wish they'd explored that a bit more or do it in another game and expand on it a bit. I don't think I realised on my first play nor does the game tell you outside of an audio cue that you can use RT in combat to demolish enemies and that she has a gauge the mirror on her right hip. It's definitely not there on the list of combat controls on the pause screen, in the game it think they say "she needs to focus"

It does borrow a bit from "walkings sims" too.

I didn't realize it until I encountered the enemies that become indistinct, and I had to use it. The sound design was top notch though, the game would have been a far lesser experience without it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,499 ✭✭✭Yester

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Witcher 3 is probably one of the best games ever made. Far better than 2.

Well I took your advice and have been playing Witcher 3. I have to agree it is one of the best games I have ever played. I've just hit level 12 so I'm still in the early game and I am loving it. Thanks for the rec TitianGerm and to the other posters who suggested this game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭droidman123

Yester wrote: »
    Well I took your advice and have been playing Witcher 3. I have to agree it is one of the best games I have ever played. I've just hit level 12 so I'm still in the early game and I am loving it. Thanks for the rec TitianGerm and to the other posters who suggested this game.

If i never played witcher 1 or 2 would it make any difference for me get witcher 3? Or would i need to play the first 2 games to get a handle on it?

If i never played witcher 1 or 2 would it make any difference for me get witcher 3? Or would i need to play the first 2 games to get a handle on it?

Only the second one came to Xbox(not on Playstation) first was only on PC. Tbh you can play 3 with out playing the second.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Only the second one came to Xbox(not on Playstation) first was only on PC. Tbh you can play 3 with out playing the second.

I never played the first or second one myself. Bought the third and loved it. Was GOTY for me.

Currently playing through South Park: Stick of Truth. Played it a couple of years ago on PC and I am glad I did as all the best bits are censored. Can't believe it stupid European noticed pops up. I only got to the abducted by aliens bit last night and will play some more later and see what else they censored. Bull crap as Cartman would say.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Currently playing through South Park: Stick of Truth. Played it a couple of years ago on PC and I am glad I did as all the best bits are censored. Can't believe it stupid European noticed pops up. I only got to the abducted by aliens bit last night and will play some more later and see what else they censored. Bull crap as Cartman would say.

Switch to the US region, download the game, and then switch back. You'll get the uncensored version then.

• Advertisement

Wargroove is out on Feb 1st, it's basically a medieval Advance Wars ripoff, but it looks great to me.

Is it FTP?

ZiabR wrote: »
    Is it FTP?

Doesn't look like it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,517 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Is anyone playing Ace Combat 7?
    Any thoughts? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Wargroove looks great, but I honestly cannot believe they haven't made a new Advance Wars since Days of Ruin. I bought a GBA, GBA SP, and DS just for those games.

marcbrophy wrote: »
    Is anyone playing Ace Combat 7?
    Any thoughts? :)

Looks ok, very arcade like. Not for me personally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

As a new One X owner and thanks to Gamepass, I have been playing the Gears of War series for the first time. A few hours into number 2 now and I can't get enough.

It has the perfect amount of corny cheese to unintentionally create some laugh out loud moments along with fantastic gameplay. Two is much improved over the first one so far in that regard.

Then I'll have Halo, Forza 4, Sunset Overdrive and the rest.

All for a tenner a month.

unbelievable-gif-6.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Pac1Man wrote: »
    As a new One X owner and thanks to Gamepass, I have been playing the Gears of War series for the first time. A few hours into number 2 now and I can't get enough.

It has the perfect amount of corny cheese to unintentionally create some laugh out loud moments along with fantastic gameplay. Two is much improved over the first one so far in that regard.

Then I'll have Halo, Forza 4, Sunset Overdrive and the rest.

All for a tenner a month.

unbelievable-gif-6.gif

You can get it for even cheaper if you keep an eye on the likes of Amazon and CD Keys.

Currently replaying Yooka-Laylee. Played it this time 2 years ago(April) on PC when it was first released. It's a good game. I still find it hard to find some items even though I already played it while other parts I remember pretty good. One thing I don't like is having to back track older levels when you learn new abilities. Over all a good game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Shadow of the Tomb Raider looks beautiful on the One X.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cotts72

Jordan 199 wrote: »

Downloaded this on gamepass last week, mainly playing AC Odyssey currently but will give it a go on my new 4k TV later. keen on seeing the enhanced games in action

The last 3 Tomb Raiders have been masterpieces. Completely injected new life into a fan favourite. Look and sound beautiful.

The last 3 Tomb Raiders have been masterpieces. Completely injected new life into a fan favourite. Look and sound beautiful.

Yeah, I absolutely love them. Sure, they might not contain loads of new ideas, but they're incredibly polished. Pretty sure the lack of new ideas is the only reason they haven't been more successful with the media.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cotts72

agreed, quality games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭skerry

Jordan 199 wrote: »

Only started into it myself last night and couldn't get over how good it looks. Spent about 10 minutes walking around in a muddy puddle last night appreciating how damn good that puddle looked :) Possibly the best looking game on the system at the moment for me anyway. And it's pretty good so far, more of the same but still enjoyable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭Max Mafioso

I've been going through some of the games that are on the Game Pass app for Rewards so I've played some games I normally wouldnt go near as I would have no interest in them but I just played Outer Wilds and I really like it, not a bad little game.
    Cities Skyline is a lot of fun too

Really enjoying Guacamelee 2! Once you pick up the abilities it really starts to click

maximoose wrote: »
    Really enjoying Guacamelee 2! Once you pick up the abilities it really starts to click

This on games pass or did you buy?

Game Pass, was added last week I think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Assassin's Creed Odyssey looks amazing on the One X. Beautiful game.

Seems I have played the Witcher 3 for 17 hours so far. That is a bit here and there for a few months may even have started it over a year ago. I have played other games between it so I have to learn the controls nearly each time I go back to it. Good game but it never really grabs me to get stuck into it as my main game to play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

Seems I have played the Witcher 3 for 17 hours so far. That is a bit here and there for a few months may even have started it over a year ago. I have played other games between it so I have to learn the controls nearly each time I go back to it. Good game but it never really grabs me to get stuck into it as my main game to play.

Same, never got past that Baron baby lark

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

put a good few hours into it, but always felt it a chore, never grabbed me the way other games have, combat for me was rubbish,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭764dak

Is there a list of the original Xbox games on Windows 10?  I know Phantom Dust is one.

Currently playing Borderlands(first one). It's a good game and I can remember why it is one of my favourite game series. I played it originally on PC and got it free with GWG but I always put off playing it again even though I loved playing it because I knew how much time I would have to spend playing it but that new Borderland 2 DLC that came out reignited me to play it as the DLC was quite fun.

Out of curiosity is there a HD version? As I got a free HD version on steam currently playing it on a 4K Tv with my One X and it is playable but it would be nice if there was a HD version released like on PC.

• Advertisement

764dak wrote: »
    Is there a list of the original Xbox games on Windows 10?  I know Phantom Dust is one.

There definitely is, but I'm away from my laptop for a while. Pretty sure that there's filters on the Xbox site that'd get you what you what.

Out of curiosity is there a HD version? As I got a free HD version on steam currently playing it on a 4K Tv with my One X and it is playable but it would be nice if there was a HD version released like on PC.

I believe the game of the year edition got upgraded to 4k recently, along with the handsome collection.

CatInABox wrote: »
    I believe the game of the year edition got upgraded to 4k recently, along with the handsome collection.

I see that now. 30 euro though where as I got it free on PC but will never play it. I will just continue with the Xbox 360 version as I am a decent amount of hours into and do not want to play it a third time. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,357 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

I see that now. 30 euro though where as I got it free on PC but will never play it. I will just continue with the Xbox 360 version as I am a decent amount of hours into and do not want to play it a third time. :eek:

Got them free through the Xbox store myself :confused:

https://www.windowscentral.com/borderlands-handsome-collection-requires-separate-4k-texture-pack-downloads-xbox-one-x

Birneybau wrote: »

That's the Handsome collection. I am playing the first game which came out on Xbox 360. There is a new Xbox One HD version which I got for free on PC but it is €30 on Xbox and PS.

• Advertisement
Advertisement