Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Neil Lennon has left Celtic

• 22-05-2014 11:52am
    Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

early reports are he has left Celtic.

Which Premier League side is he going to do you reckon?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

Larsson is the favourite to take over. Lennon to WBA?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Agueroooo wrote: »
    early reports are he has left Celtic.

Which Premier League side is he going to do you reckon?

Does the achievements with Celtic mean he's good enough for the Premier League?

And that's not a slight on Celtic at all, but it hasn't really been a tough 3 seasons for him there.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

SantryRed wrote: »

And that's not a slight on Celtic at all, but it hasn't really been a tough 3 seasons for him there.

I am sure his new employers have factored that in.

really hope he does well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

he does have a decent european record too, considering his available players and so on. However, its far from stellar, and he will have a very hard time in the PL, if that is where he goes.

good luck to him though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

If he goes to Norwich then he's taken a huge step backwards. Should of waited for a PL to come in for him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭RoryMac

SantryRed wrote: »

The last 2 league wins could have been won with pretty much anyone in charge but he has done quite well in Europe and built a very good team bringing in guys like Hooper, Wanyama, Forster, Ledley etc

His record in the cups is not so good but he has been in charge of a big club for 3 and a half years and had to cope with the pressure involved in that during a very rocky time for Scottish football, I think he'll cope with the pressure of managing in the EPL or Championship just fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Lennon to Spurs :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,408 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Lennon is coming from a league where there was little or no opposition for Celtic. Foolish move.
    Every game in the EPL or Championship will be a Cup Final for him now.

Lennon is coming from a league where there was little or no opposition for Celtic. Foolish move.

CL ?

• Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

wrong across the board. well done

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,566 ✭✭✭✭CSF

His record at Celtic definitely doesn't classify him as proven or anything like that but it definitely entitles him a chance to sink or swim at bottom half of Premiership/Championship playoff contender team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Which ever team he washes up at is going to be worse off and will probably end up having to deal with some bit of baggage should it follow him south.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

glued wrote: »
    If he goes to Norwich then he's taken a huge step backwards. Should of waited for a PL to come in for him.

Genuine question, and this has nothing to do with me being a Rangers fan (well, maybe a little bit ;) ):

What club in the Premier League would look at what he did at Celtic and say 'You know what, I bet he could do a fantastic job here!' ?

I'm not saying he's a bad manager, but he's hardly been really tested, has had ample opportunity to win at least a few trebles and failed and had 1 good season in Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Huh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

What?

No harm in him moving and challenging himself more but no way will every game be a cup final for him. He has shown himself a capable manager. Keeping a team motivated to win every season with little competition is very impressive.
    He also did very well with them in the 12/13 Champions League and while 13/14 wasn't great, it still wasn't pathetic by any account.

I think he will do well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

If your WBA for example, who else would you hire? Chris Hughton? Lennon is unproven, but I'd rather go with a unproven Lennon than another failed manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Moyesy to get the Celtic job.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

mike65 wrote: »
    Which ever team he washes up at is going to be worse off and will probably end up having to deal with some bit of baggage should it follow him south.

Two of the stupidest posts I've ever seen on boards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Washes up at? :rolleyes:
    Such disdain dripping from that post...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

Owen Coyle to get the Celtic job

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

You don't think he'll try to sign Anthony Stokes then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,408 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Ha ha. It was a very tough league to win then. No gap at all between first and second :rolleyes:

Owen Coyle to get the Celtic job

Rory Mc over on the Celtic thread suggested Malkey MacKay which is a great shout, and would be the best appointing imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Is this the same Stokes that he didn't trust for a long time in big games? Was regularly dropped for Old Firm and European games before this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,590 ✭✭✭patmac

So you've written him off before his new club is announced and just in case you didn't know he wasn't a disaster at Celtic, jeez this place sometimes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

patmac wrote: »
    So you've written him off before his new club is announced and just in case you didn't know he wasn't a disaster at Celtic, jeez this place sometimes.

It's got nothing to do with his managerial abilities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Yea of course he brings it on himself.. Sure he's ginger and cupped his ears once, his own fault he got the bullets in the post and numerous hidings etc etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭obezyana

Southampton bound maybe????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Multiple trophy winner at one of Britains biggest clubs, solid record at bringing players in, and most importantly very solid European experience including recent results against Barcelona among others.

Fact is, Neil Lennon is more qualified than David Moyes was for the United job.

haha that's the second stupidest post, He never trusted Stokes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

obezyana wrote: »

that was my first inkling. esp if pochettino goes to spurs

Mars Bar wrote: »
    What?

No harm in him moving and challenging himself more but no way will every game be a cup final for him. He has shown himself a capable manager. Keeping a team motivated to win every season with little competition is very impressive.
    He also did very well with them in the 12/13 Champions League and while 13/14 wasn't great, it still wasn't pathetic by any account.

Agree, take into account he had to go through CL preliminary qualification rounds where Celtic had struggled for a couple of years prior to his arrival. Think it was 2008 since the last time they were in the group stages prior to his arrival (Open to correction).

Rumour bouncing around about Moyes taking over???

http://metro.co.uk/2014/05/22/david-moyes-to-jump-straight-back-into-champions-league-football-with-celtic-after-neil-lennon-departure-4736645/

I quite like Lennon.

If he does get a job in the PL it'll be interesting to see how he does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

At least in Scotland Moyes might actually beat a top 4 team away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Wouldn't be surprised to see David Moyes go to Celtic. It's probably the job he should have taken before going to Manchester United. Granted, it's not a particularly strong or competitive league but he'd have had Champions League experience to build on.

11/2 with Paddy Power right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭ActingDanClark

haha that's the second stupidest post, He never trusted Stokes

I suspect mike65 was having a laugh? No?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

That_Guy wrote: »
    Wouldn't be surprised to see David Moyes go to Celtic. It's probably the job he should have taken before going to Manchester United. Granted, it's not a particularly strong or competitive league but he'd have had Champions League experience to build on.

11/2 with Paddy Power right now.

For his career it could be a good move, but money wise I doubt he'd even consider it.

He was on 4m at Everton, Lennon was on 350k I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Thought he came across very well on MOTD2 a few weeks back. West Brom would be perfect for him...or who knows, the way things are at Villa maybe even there! Lambert to head back to Celtic!

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I reckon he'd be a decent shout at a lower PL club. Did well enough at Celtic, though anything less than winning the league the last few season's would have been a failure.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Milkers

Multiple trophy winner at one of Britains biggest clubs, solid record at bringing players in, and most importantly very solid European experience including recent results against Barcelona among others.

Fact is, Neil Lennon is more qualified than David Moyes was for the United job.

This is the most factually correct yet totally overrating description in the history of football managers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,877 ✭✭✭RayCon

Fair play to him if he wants to challenge himself with a PL club (assuming of course it's a PL club he's going to). It'll be interesting next season to see how he get's on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Larsson is the favourite to take over.

Celtic could raffle off the mangers position to season ticket holders every week and they'd still win that league at a canter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Writing him off already is a little ridiculous. He could prove to me more than competent enough in the PL. Certainly he can handle the big stage, and if the likes of Hughton can manage a few seasons in the PL, I see no reason that Lennon can't do at least that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

obezyana wrote: »

If Pochettino leaves I'd imagine they would be aiming a little higher than Lennon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Paully D wrote: »
    Celtic could raffle off the mangers position to season ticket holders every week and they'd still win that league at a canter.

Absolutely, with a budget five or six times the size of anyone else, anyone could manage celtic to the league.

What's important IMO is getting someone in who has a track record of giving young players a chance, and has a knowledge of European leagues.

For younger players in Spain/holland/France/Belgium etc, celtic are a big draw. The chance to get first team football, win trophies, play in one of the best atmospheres in Europe, play in the CL, and more importantly, its a shop window for them.

IMO, of those realistic targets, Lambert would be the best option. The last thing I'd want to see is a former player get the job on the basis of his playing career rather then his managerial ability

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

If your WBA for example, who else would you hire? Chris Hughton? Lennon is unproven, but I'd rather go with a unproven Lennon than another failed manager.

Hughton is hardly a failed manager to be fair, did a great job at Newcastle and Norwich and was unfairly sacked from both positions in my opinion.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

A quick look at Larsson's managerial career so far reveals nothing above mediocrity.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Hughton is hardly a failed manager to be fair, did a great job at Newcastle and Norwich and was unfairly sacked from both positions in my opinion.

He got one of the best ever teams to play in the Championship promoted and was sacked when just 4 points off relegation at Newcastle. It was a slightly harsh sacking IMO though I can fully understand why Ashley did it. Great job is really pushing it. Did what was expected would be more accurate.

At Norwich he spent £26m this season and managed to take a team he had got to 11th to on the fringes of relegation with games against United, Liverpool, Chelsea and Arsenal to come after losing 1-0 at home to fellow strugglers, West Brom. A fully justified sacking though Norwich's mistake was not having a proper manager lined up to take the reigns. Great job? Come on now.

Unbelievably nice guy, very average football manager.

damian139 wrote: »
    I suspect mike65 was having a laugh? No?

Well his post before that was "Which ever team he washes up at is going to be worse off and will probably end up having to deal with some bit of baggage should it follow him south" So you wouldn't know

• Advertisement
Advertisement