Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

doing an exam you're not registered for?

• 22-05-2014 12:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

Is it possible to just go in during the LC and sit an exam you have not registered for? Would they accept it for correcting? Would they know this exam number shouldnt be with this exam?
    I cant imagine it would be a problem but I'm not sure

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

If you're serious about it, you could try and get in touch with them now and I'm sure they'll sort it out for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Exo

From my understanding, you're given a second opportunity to correct mistakes possibly made by the SEC (name, exam number, subjects etc.) before sitting the exams. At this stage, they've processed all administrative operations and have closed shop for the year. You're in their system to do a certain amount of subjects, and the CAO have that information on record. Adding a subject would disrupt the system.

You can give them a call and inquire, I'm making an assumption after receiving 4-5 emails and letters warning me to double check that the information on hand is correct (again - name, exam number, subjects etc).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

In theory, I think you could but they may not have a paper for you on the day unless someone else decides to take OL on the day.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and suggest you're not going to do this....

Who would switch subjects, study and hope that there's an extra exam on the day! Extreme gamble, if that's even a possibility.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

It's possible, but it creates a lot of paperwork if done at the last minute.
    If you want to enter for a subject, get your school's Examination Secretary to ring Athlone now, before the boxes are sent out to schools.

I don't think it can be done for someone not already registered for the exam as a whole, in other words, someone can't just wander in off the street and take an exam.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭Hotale.com

Were we supposed to get confirmation of what subjects we're registered to be sitting from the SEC? :confused: I've got none, and I looked at the back of the form I got from the CAO and it makes it sound like a list of my subjects should have came with my CAO confirmation letter thing, please tell me there's nothing wrong....

Students in state schools receive confirmation forms, whereas external students just receive a letter with the examination number & subjects - reason being, is that external students chose the subjects & levels themselves. As a repeat & external student, I received a letter from the CAO with my last years results and current/past exam number(s).

I also received a letter recently stating which room(s) I'm in for the exams. Those are the only relevant letters through the post from the SEC & CAO.

Exo wrote: »
    I also received a letter recently stating which room(s) I'm in for the exams. Those are the only relevant letters through the post from the SEC & CAO.

I never got any about which room I was in, or are you an external candidate?

Yea I mentioned that in my previous post - there's no need to worry about room location if you're an internal candidate (or sitting the exams in a state-run school). I was in sectioned classrooms for the common subjects, and moved into a larger hall for the final half - it's the responsibility of the school to inform the students where they're supposed to sit the exams.

Exo wrote: »
    Yea I mentioned that in my previous post - there's no need to worry about room location if you're an internal candidate (or sitting the exams in a state-run school). I was in sectioned classrooms for the common subjects, and moved into a larger hall for the final half - it's the responsibility of the school to inform the students where they're supposed to sit the exams.

Okay, cheers :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement