Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sugar free recipes

Options
  • 22-05-2014 1:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭

Hi
    I'm looking for sugar free recipes ie like for muffins etc
    Or can I replace sugar in recipes with sweeteners or honey

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Hi
    I'm looking for sugar free recipes ie like for muffins etc
    Or can I replace sugar in recipes with sweeteners or honey

Not sure if any use to you but found this:

http://iquitsugar.com/recipe/

• Registered Users Posts: 17,587 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

It depends on the recipe, but replacing sugar with honey won't be much of a change, nutritionally speaking.

I'm personally against chemical sweeteners, but thats more of a personal hangup than anything grounded on solid evidence. But remember that for any recipes that are bread-like, replacing sugar with stevia might ruin the raising potential. The bread soda's chemical reaction with (acidic) sugar is what causes the leavening in things like sponge cakes and muffins.

Above link looks pretty good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Honey is just a form of sugar. Fruit sweetness is caused by a form of sugar. Unless you are using an artificial sweetener you are just using a sugar

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Woodbrook80

Thanks like the recipes just pity some ingredients are so expensive think il just have to reduce what I eat
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

If you're happy to have some sugar rather than cut it out completely and want a treat, I make this for my diabetic husband. 50g of sugar is a tiny amount and because the cake is so rich (using 70% chocolate makes it really rich) you only eat a small amount.

Sweeteners just don't have the same volume as sugar so you can't use them in things like muffins. A muffin made with Splenda will just come out flat. My mother-in-law made a sponge cake with Splenda before and it was like a pancake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Woodbrook80

Thanks that looks nice :)

Advertisement