Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are my options?

Options
  • 22-05-2014 1:22pm

Hi guys,

I moved into an apartment last month and I am a little disappointed with my experience so far.

Firstly, when I viewed the apt, I noted that it was pretty grubby but when I moved in I noticed a lot more problems

At present, here are a list of some ofthe issues I had:

• No cutlery

• No plates/bowls/cups/glasses

• No pots or pans

• No toaster

• No kettle

• Badly needed painting

• Two holes in the walls (Hallway/SittingRoom) where the door handles obviously hit the wall

• No television stand

• No locks for the bedroom windows

• Oven presses and food preparation were lined with dirt and grease

• Stains on the carpet areas

• Intercom not working (which is very important) as I am a single parent and have a toddler who I can't leave unattended to allow visitors access to the apartment

• Freezer door not hanging right

• Fridge shelf broken

• Hob seems to short out if not attended

• Security doors to which we should need fob access were constantly open and posed a security risk

I have noted all these concerns with the letting agent from day 1 and took it upon myself to paint the whole apartment (after getting permission) and when asked if I could subtract the cost of paint from the next month's rent I was told that the "landlord couldn't afford it".

Since that email, none of my problems have been addressed and when I contacted the agent again weeks later to see if there was any update on my intercom, I was told that it was an ongoing issue and wouldn't be resolved in the immediate future.

To compound matters, some people broke into the underground car park over the weekend and set fire to the communal bins and as a result, my apt has been without electricity for the guts of a week. I hadn't heard a peep or any update from anyone with regards to the status of the power until I received a letter under my door from the maintenance company yesterday informing me that it could be Friday when I get my power back but also gave me helpful tips such as "We recommend you eat cooked meats, salad and tinned goods" while we were unable to cook.

I know most of the superficial problems should have been raised by me before I signed a lease but i foolishly took for granted that the fact that the letting agents are in the same complex, that they would make it habitable before renting, but the apt was advertised as having an intercom and I wouldn't have signed a lease if I had known I wouldnt be able to let people in from my apt.

I feel like I am being taken for a ride, which is a shame as I quite like my apt but when the letting agents and the maintenance people seem to be taking the pee, its a little disheartening to be paying a substantial sum for a 2 bed apt.

Could I break my lease (1 year lease) without suffering any financial loss?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭lau1247

· No cutlery

· No plates/bowls/cups/glasses

· No pots or pans

· No toaster

· No kettle

· Badly needed painting

· Two holes in the walls (Hallway/SittingRoom) where the door handles obviously hit the wall

· No television stand

· No locks for the bedroom windows

· [

· Oven presses and food preparation areaswere lined with dirt and grease

· Stains on the carpet areas

· Intercom not working (which is veryimportant) as I am a single parent and have a toddler who I can't leave unattended to allow visitors access to the apartment

· Freezer door not hanging right

· Fridge shelf broken

· Hob seems to short out if not attended
    Security doors to which we should need fob access were constantly open and posed a security risk
    I have noted all these concerns with the letting agent from day 1 and took it upon myself to paint the whole apartment (after getting permission) and when asked if I could subtract the cost of paint from the next month's rent I was told that the "landlord couldn't afford it".

Since that email, none of my problems have been addressed and when I contacted the agent again weeks later to see if there was any update on my intercom, I was told that it was an ongoing issue and wouldn't be resolved in the immediate future.

To compund matters, some people broke into the underground car park over the weekend and set fire to the communal bins and as a result, my apt has been without electricity for the guts of a week. I hadn't heard a peep or any update from anyone with regards to the status of the power until I received a letter under my door from the maintenance company yesterday informing me that it could be Friday when I get my power back but also gave me helpful tips such as "We recommend you eat cooked meats, salad and tinned goods" while we were unable to cook.

I know most of the superficial problems should have been raised by me before I signed a lease but i foolishly took for granted that the fact that the letting agents are in the same complex, that they would make it habitable before renting, but the apt was advertised as having an intercom and I wouldn't have signed a lease if I had known I wouldnt be able to let people in from my apt.

I feel like I am being taken for a ride, which is a shame as I quite like my apt but when the letting agents and the maintenance people seem to be taking the pee, its a little disheartening to be paying a substantial sum for a 2 bed apt.

The part hidden away in different colour OP should be changed

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

Thanks. Fixed it now I think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Hi guys,

I moved into an apartment last month and I am a little disappointed with my experience so far.

Firstly, when I viewed the apt, I noted that it was pretty grubby but when I moved in I noticed a lot more problems

• No cutlery You supply this yourself.

• No plates/bowls/cups/glasses Again down to you.

• No pots or pans
    • No toaster

• No kettle you supply all items these also

• Badly needed painting Should have been addressed before moving in.

• Two holes in the walls (Hallway/SittingRoom) where the door handles obviously hit the wall Should have been addressed before moving in.

• No television stand

• No locks for the bedroom windows Should have been addressed before moving in.

• Oven presses and food preparation were lined with dirt and grease Should have been addressed before moving in.

• Stains on the carpet areas Should have been addressed before moving in.

• Intercom not working (which is very important) as I am a single parent and have a toddler who I can't leave unattended to allow visitors access to the apartment Should have been addressed before moving in.

• Freezer door not hanging right Should have been addressed before moving in.

• Fridge shelf broken Should have been addressed before moving in.

• Hob seems to short out if not attended Should have been addressed before moving in.

• Security doors to which we should need fob access were constantly open and posed a security risk Should have been addressed before moving in.

I have noted all these concerns with the letting agent from day 1 and took it upon myself to paint the whole apartment (after getting permission) and when asked if I could subtract the cost of paint from the next month's rent I was told that the "landlord couldn't afford it". You should have confirmed payment for the painting before doing it.

Since that email, none of my problems have been addressed and when I contacted the agent again weeks later to see if there was any update on my intercom, I was told that it was an ongoing issue and wouldn't be resolved in the immediate future. This is ammunition to build a case for breaking the lease.

To compound matters, some people broke into the underground car park over the weekend and set fire to the communal bins and as a result, my apt has been without electricity for the guts of a week. I hadn't heard a peep or any update from anyone with regards to the status of the power until I received a letter under my door from the maintenance company yesterday informing me that it could be Friday when I get my power back but also gave me helpful tips such as "We recommend you eat cooked meats, salad and tinned goods" while we were unable to cook.

There is plenty in your post which can be used to build a case for breaking the lease but it won't happen overnight.

You need to write to the Landlord or letting agent and request that all items they are responsible for and all repairs are completed within a reasonable time. give them two weeks to do everything then open a complaint with the PRTB.

foggy_lad wrote: »
    There is plenty in your post which can be used to build a case for breaking the lease but it won't happen overnight.

You need to write to the Landlord or letting agent and request that all items they are responsible for and all repairs are completed within a reasonable time. give them two weeks to do everything then open a complaint with the PRTB.

Thanks for that. I know that I am responsible for most of this and I should have been more rigorous in my check before I moved in. I had addressed the issue of painting but I assumed that when I was told I could do the painting myself, I would be reimbursed for my costs. I know.... you should never assume and I have learned the hard way.

I dont think I should have had to ask if the intercom was working. That is pretty much taken for granted no? Also I wasn't to know the hob would short out on use. Plus the broken shelving in the fridge wasn't immediately visable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

For hygiene reasons alone, you should always walk with your own cutlery, pots, pans, toaster, crockery and kettle, OP. Why on earth would you want to use other people's stuff??

• Advertisement

True. I spose in any of the other places I have been I have been lucky enough to have the landlord supply new cutlery etc. I guess I thought it was the norm. I know now it isn't ant to be honest they werent the major issues, just minor gripes. The security issues and the lack of communication re the major issues are my main concerns

• Registered Users Posts: 25,960 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

For hygiene reasons alone, you should always walk with your own cutlery, pots, pans, toaster, crockery and kettle, OP. Why on earth would you want to use other people's stuff??

Surely toilet seat, toothbrush holder, towel holder, shower mat and washing machine should be added to that list? :rolleyes:

Frankly, that is just paranoid nonsense.

When you eat out at a restaurant or visit a friend's house, do you take your own cutlery, crockery and pans with you???

Agree that these items are all optional in a rental, and that the OP should have checked beforehand if they were provided. But in a furnished rental it's totally reasonable to expect that they will be provided and in reasonable state.

Surely toilet seat, toothbrush holder, towel holder, shower mat and washing machine should be added to that list? :rolleyes:

Frankly, that is just paranoid nonsense.

When you eat out at a restaurant or visit a friend's house, do you take your own cutlery, crockery and pans with you???

Agree that these items are all optional in a rental, and that the OP should have checked beforehand if they were provided. But in a furnished rental it's totally reasonable to expect that they will be provided and in reasonable state.

Really? I don't care what you think. FYI, I DO have my own toilet seat, toothmug, bath mats and washing machine. And if I eat at a friend's then I have a pretty good idea of their hygiene standards and can choose whether I eat there or not...

Why should the LL provide crockery and cutlery for God's sake? That's mollycoddling. And if the OP (or any other renter) has their own stuff, then so much the better. The LL can't take the deposit for breakages, can he?

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Diane Selwyn

whatever about the cutlery you've a right to expect the electricity supply returned asap and the hob sorted out - it sounds like it could be a fire hazard so the I'm sure the owner would prefer it was fixed anyway.

Absolutely. Reading the OP again, he's been without electric for at least a week. As Foggy Lad pointed out, that is grounds for breaking the lease.

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the responses guys. I'm still without electricity and not heard anything from the management company or letting agent since that letter on Tuesday that suggested I eat canned goods and cooked meats.

All the security doors are being propped open (mostly by fire extinguishers) as obviously without electricity there is no way to open/close them which is a bit of a security concern as it was people accessing the carpark that caused the fire in the first place

• Registered Users Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

All the security doors are being propped open (mostly by fire extinguishers

Well that on its own is creating a safety issue and against building fire regulations afaik. I would be getting out of there I think....

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭userod

FYI, I DO have my own toilet seat

Do you take your toilet seat around the place with you?
    Why should the LL provide crockery and cutlery for God's sake?

Every house I have ever rented (must be 8+) has had crockery and cutlery included.

If I rented out a house to find the landlord didn't include crockery and cutlery I would leave the house to him, and let him be finding someone who wants to bring their own toilet seat etc. I suspect he'd have a job on his hands.

I'm so very happy for you. I don't care what you do, believe it or not. I think renters are far too mollycoddled in this country IMO.

It's ridiculous to expect the landlord to provide crockery and cutlery every time a tenant comes in (Because I'm sure there will be breakages and missing cutlery) when these items can easily be purchased cheaply in any supermarket or Ikea and are portable.

And NO. Believe it or not, there are renters like myself who would be quite happy to rent unfurnished, and bring their own things. Have a search through this forum. Plenty of posts on the very same thing.

Now - enough already on the crockery. In the scheme of things, it isn't vitally important. The OP's living in a dangerous environment, and hopefully we can focus on helping him.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭userod

It's ridiculous to expect the landlord to provide crockery and cutlery
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,535 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Hi guys,

when I viewed the apt, I noted that it was pretty grubby

• No cutlery Not an Landlord issue

• No plates/bowls/cups/glasses Not an Landlord issue

• No pots or pansNot an Landlord issue

• No toasterNot an Landlord issue

• No kettleNot an Landlord issue

• Badly needed painting when I viewed the apt, I noted that it was pretty grubby

• Two holes in the walls (Hallway/SittingRoom) where the door handles obviously hit the wall

• No television standNot an Landlord issue

• No locks for the bedroom windowsNot an Landlord issue, regulations prevent locks with keys

• Oven presses and food preparation were lined with dirt and grease when I viewed the apt, I noted that it was pretty grubby

• Stains on the carpet areas when I viewed the apt, I noted that it was pretty grubby

• Intercom not working (which is very important) as I am a single parent and have a toddler who I can't leave unattended to allow visitors access to the apartment an inconvenience, that's all, MC should fix

• Freezer door not hanging rightlandlord to fix

• Fridge shelf brokenlandlord to fix

• Hob seems to short out if not attendedLandlord needs a qualified sparks to look at

• Security doors to which we should need fob access were constantly open and posed a security risk Not an Landlord issue

letter under my door from the maintenance company yesterday informing me that it could be Friday when I get my power back but also gave me helpful Landlords insurance should put you up in a hotel

I have noted all these concerns with the letting agent from day 1 and took it upon myself to paint the whole apartment (after getting permission) and when asked if I could subtract the cost of paint from the next month's rent I was told that the "landlord couldn't afford it". Not a Landlord issue

see my notes

Agree with both Ted1 and Foggy Lad. But from the sounds of it OP, I think it's unlikely the LL even HAS insurance to put you up in a hotel. He can barely keep the apartment running...

I'd be getting on to Threshold at this point. No electric and a toddler means the place is unsafe for you to live in. Is it possible to get an inspection done by the local council? They might be able to force the LL to make the necessary urgent repairs - i.e. the hob. The electric? Speak to ESB and find out what the issue is and expected time to fix.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭superman28

There is alot of by the book nonsense being spouted here.. You have a small child to think about.. Find somewhere else to live,, stop paying your rent.., break the lease,, let them have your deposit..

They are letting out a kip, they know it,, sometimes you need to break to rules and look after yourself..

Is it possible to get an inspection done by the local council?

If fire doors are being propped open, then an inspection by the Fire Service may also be an option.

NB Having "no electric and a toddler" does not make the place unsafe. The electricity problems do that on their own, with or with a toddler.

OP, I'm assuming that you will find it difficult to get somewhere else to live, based on what we see in the papers and all, plus your deposit being tied up - and I presume having had to go shopping for all the stuff that a furnished house really should have included. Something you might consider is an appeal via local papers etc to help you find somewhere else - this is where your toddler gives you an advantage over other tenants of the complex (who you will be competing with!) Cute-kid pics give a great deal of emotional appeal.

If the hob is shorting, then it DOES make the place unsafe. There is a risk of fire, is there not?

And the OP did not give any indication of going to the papers to get some 'emotional pictures' as you put it. So that comment is unnecessary. And it is nasty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

Agree with both Ted1 and Foggy Lad. But from the sounds of it OP, I think it's unlikely the LL even HAS insurance to put you up in a hotel. He can barely keep the apartment running...

I'd be getting on to Threshold at this point. No electric and a toddler means the place is unsafe for you to live in. Is it possible to get an inspection done by the local council? They might be able to force the LL to make the necessary urgent repairs - i.e. the hob. The electric? Speak to ESB and find out what the issue is and expected time to fix.

I don't see issue that needs threshold involvement. It's a poor management company but landlord has no immediate control over that. He should probably get in touch with them to find out when the issues ( which are not issues withe apartment apart of the cleanliness) will be resolved and put pressure on them. Long term all owners in the block may want to reconsider the manco if it is not acting in the best interests of their apartment owners.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,535 ✭✭✭✭ted1

If the hob is shorting, then it DOES make the place unsafe. There is a risk of fire, is there not?

And the OP did not give any indication of going to the papers to get some 'emotional pictures' as you put it. So that comment is unnecessary. And it is nasty.

No it means the MCB or RCBO is working correctly and its safe

The electricity problems that make the place unsafe are the lack of security, AKA fire-stop, doors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Tarzana

userod wrote: »
    Every house I have ever rented (must be 8+) has had crockery and cutlery included.

If I rented out a house to find the landlord didn't include crockery and cutlery I would leave the house to him, and let him be finding someone who wants to bring their own toilet seat etc. I suspect he'd have a job on his hands.

That's just because cutlery and crockery accumulate over time. Former tenants leave them behind. It's not the landlord supplying them. I've bought new cutlery and crockery in a few places. I always bring them with me when I move but a lot of people don't bother. Landlords do not need to supply this stuff and it's very precious to leave a rental because they don't. I'd be happy not to have a tenant like that, tbh.

im not being precious at all. I had no issue with buying new cutlery etc, I was just more than surprised that none of that was supplied (going by past experiences)

The main issues are the security concerns, the intercom and the fact that as of today, I am over a week without hot water or electricity.

as of today, I am over a week without hot water or electricity.

OP, you're really not getting the point here.

The LL obviously doesn't give a rats-arse, or else s/he would have re-housed you.

YOU need to find yourself somewhere new to live. Stop wasting time posting here (how can you do that without electricity, btw???), and start spending it looking for somewhere more appropriate.

I have to agree with Mrs O. Harsh, but she's right. It's time you took action. Heating and hot water are essentials, especially when you have children. A week without either and no action taken to solve the problem is totally unacceptable.

Did you contact Threshold? Have you spoken to the Mgmt Co/ESB and asked them what the story was with the electric? Did you speak to the LL about the hob?

Get on to Daft and start looking for somewhere else to live. Pronto.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Tarzana

im not being precious at all. I had no issue with buying new cutlery etc, I was just more than surprised that none of that was supplied (going by past experiences)

The main issues are the security concerns, the intercom and the fact that as of today, I am over a week without hot water or electricity.

Yeah, it's not the most pressing issue. But I've lived in 11 places (9 in Ireland, 2 in the UK) and in NONE has the landlord supplied cutlery and crockery. There's usually been accumulated assorted items which I've sometimes supplemented. And a landlord would have NO problems finding tenants whilst not supplying this stuff. Have to agree with abajanin, it's mollycoddling to supply this stuff. Some tenants have crazy expectations. I once had housemates that expected the landlord to buy and put in lightbulbs when they blew. Feckin' lightbulbs! And while landlords need to supply and replace white goods, tenants should do their bit to keep them working optimally and make sure they last ie. clearing out the washing machine filter regularly. But the OP definitely has some very valid concerns, ones that are putting her child in danger.EDIT: Sorry, just realised I replied to the OP unwittingly. (no mobile and thought it was another poster). OP get out of there, or pick your battles by going to landlord or PTRB about the really dangerous stuff!

OP, you're really not getting the point here.

The LL obviously doesn't give a rats-arse, or else s/he would have re-housed you.

YOU need to find yourself somewhere new to live. Stop wasting time posting here (how can you do that without electricity, btw???), and start spending it looking for somewhere more appropriate.

Thankfully, I am able to stay on my mother's couch so I am not stuck there with the little one. But it is hugely impractical. I have been looking online but unfortunately there doesn't seem to be any within my budget in the locations that I need.

Trying to get in touch with the management company again but no joy so far. I have contacted Threshold and the PRTB and waiting on callbacks from them.

Thanks everyone for your advice so far.

• Advertisement
Advertisement