Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jet skiing alone

• 22-05-2014 2:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭

Good afternoon

I'll be buying a jet ski in the next month but I have no one to go out with me (I'll be using it around Howth.

Is there an inexpensive way to back up measures such as a radio or a phone just in case something happens? (ie. it somehow sinks or the engine dies)

Also are jet skis known for just konking out and leaving their user floating with no power?

Cheers

Rob

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Get this on your phone http://www.sailing.ie/Cruising/ISASafeTrx.aspx carry a handheld VHF in a wet bag and maybe fill out a float plan like this.

FLOAT PLAN
    Complete this form before going out on your vessel and leave it with a reliable person who can be depended upon to
    notify the Coast Guard or other rescue organization in case you do not return as scheduled. A word of caution: In case
    you are delayed, and it is not an emergency, inform those with your float plan, the police, and/or Coast Guard of your
    de,lay in order to avoid an unnecessary search!
    1. Name of person filing this plan: __________________________________________________________________________
    Telephone #: ( ________ ) _________ - _________________
    2. Description of boat: Registration number: _________________ Type: ___________ Make: ___________________
    Color: _____________ Trim: ______________________________ Length: ___________ Name: ___________________
    3. Name of persons onboard: Age: Address:
    _____________________________________________ ____ _______________________________________________
    Telephone #: ( ________ ) _________ - _____________
    _____________________________________________ ____ _______________________________________________
    Description of engine: Type: ________ Horsepower: ______ # of engines: ______ Fuel capacity: _____________
    Survival equipment aboard. Check as appropriate.
    ❏ Life preservers ❏ Flares ❏ Flashlight ❏ Signal mirror ❏ EPIRB ❏ Anchor(s)
    ❏ Smoke signals ❏ Horn ❏ Water ❏ Paddles ❏ Raft or dinghy ❏ Food
    Radio ❏ Yes ❏ No Type: ___________________ Call sign: ____________________
    Cell ❏ Yes ❏ No #: ___________________
    Trip expectations
    Leaving from: _____________________________________ Going to: _________________________________________
    Departing on: ___________ / _________ ❏ am ❏ pm Returning: ___________ / _______ ❏ am ❏ pm
    date time date time
    And, in no event, returning later than: ___________ / _______ ❏ am ❏ pm
    date time
    Other pertinent information: _________________________________________________________________________
    Description of automobile: Trailer license #: _________________________
    Make: ______________ Color: ______ License #: ____________ Where parked: __________________________
    If not returned by: ___________ / _________ ❏ am ❏ pm
    Call:
    R.N.L.I telephone #: ( ________ ) _________ - ________________
    Local authority: ________________________________ Telephone #: ( ________ ) _________ - ____________
    date time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

The advice is the same for any type of small vessel going out on the water - don't go alone where possible.

If you can't possibly get anyone to go with, pick a time when it's likely that other boats will be on the water. In Howth, this will be Tuesday-Thursday evenings and Saturday and Sunday afternoons (boats racing from HYC) in sorta "not great" weather. In good weather there's usually someone on the water - just don't stray out of sight of someone, be it from the shore or another vessel.

Irrespective of how many people are going out:

1. Wear an appropriate buoyancy aid/lifejacket.
    2. Carry a floating waterproof VHF radio and know how to use it. Make sure it's fully charged before going out.
    3. Be informed about local hazards and local rules.
    4. Inspect your vessel and make sure it's running correctly before you go into open water.
    5. Tell someone where you'll launch from, what you plan on doing/where you're going, what time you'll come off the water at, and who to contact if you don't call by a certain time.

Oh and I meant to include in that:
    6. Wear appropriate clothing. The water in Ireland is cold. Apart from cold water shock, you can be dead pretty quickly in Irish water if you’re just in shorts and a tshirt, even in warm weather. If you’re in your own and will have to wait on help should you need it, at least be waiting in a warm wetsuit and buoyancy aid that gives you some sort of defence against the cold!

I know it's probably obvious to you but worth mentioning anyway for completeness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Rob2593

Yup I already have my wetsuit & lifevest, thanks for the info though. I've downloaded the app so that'll come in handy. Also with regards to the VHF radio, as I don't have much money, would it be okay to buy a cheap enough one (€25-30) and stick it in a waterproof floatable case (€20-25)?

Edit: This is the one I'd be purchasing http://www.ebay.ie/itm/New-Version-Pofung-UV-3R-VHF136-174-UHF-400-470MHz-Dual-Dand-Radio-Earpiece-/181410523897?pt=UK_Mobile_Phones_Communication_Ham_Radio_Receivers_Transceivers&hash=item2a3ce8eaf9

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

I don't know anything about those VHF's but at that price I wouldn't like to be trusting my life on it :eek: You can get a good floating one for around €100 and thats not bad considering you will be spending about that on fuel every trip you take, as you say you don't have much money I would advise you to stay away from jet ski's and maybe look at a small speed boat you will get much better value for money and it would be safer for a lone boater as you can carry a backup engine.

• Advertisement

Fair enough, I'll spend at least 80 on one so. Is it legal for me to use one though, seeing as I haven't done a course for them? Do you need a licence for one even if you're just using it as an emergency precaution for a jet ski?

Unfortunately my mind is absolutely set on a jet ski and I wouldn't be interested in any other sort of vessel. I do appreciate you giving me this info though, it is really helpful!

Rob2593 wrote: »
    Fair enough, I'll spend at least 80 on one so. Is it legal for me to use one though, seeing as I haven't done a course for them? Do you need a licence for one even if you're just using it as an emergency precaution for a jet ski?

Unfortunately my mind is absolutely set on a jet ski and I wouldn't be interested in any other sort of vessel. I do appreciate you giving me this info though, it is really helpful!

I think the basically unwritten rule is that if you use it in an emergency nobody will come after you. It wouldn't hurt to learn how to use it properly and learn radio parlance... But I think you're covered by being allowed use any means necessary and available to convey a distress signal. So if you happen to have a radio and you need to send a distress call... :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

No one will come after you for emergency use of a radio. I would also recommend handheld flares.

Jet Ski are notorious for breaking down and needing rescue. Mostly because there's no other means of propulsion in the case of engine failure.

Great, I'll just "happen" to have one in my ski so :p I've spent a few hours watching videos on Youtube and the likes so I have a fair idea what to do in an emergency.

Where can I get my hands on some flares?

Would I call mayday mayday mayday if my engine stopped working but wasn't in imediate danger?

Great, I'll just "happen" to have one in my ski so :p I've spent a few hours watching videos on Youtube and the likes so I have a fair idea what to do in an emergency.

Where can I get my hands on some flares?

Would I call mayday mayday mayday if my engine stopped working but wasn't in imediate danger?

Chandlers should have flares, can also get online: http://www.marinewebstoreireland.com/distress-flares-pains-wessex/4551488157

Pan Pan might be more appropriate than a mayday. Mayday is pretty much for when you're in real trouble and there's immediate threat to your safety and life. Hence it's called a distress call.

If I was out on a jet ski on my own and the engine stopped, I'd try to hail any nearby boats (visually by waving arms or by radio). Be aware that if you go in behind the west pier pretty much no sailing boat that can help you will be able to get in (shallow), but they might stand by and keep watch.

If I couldn't see any boats that could help I'd send a pan pan.

• Advertisement

If your engine stops and you have tried everything to get it going and your not in immediate danger use PAN PAN this will let other boats around you know whats going on.

SAMPLE PAN PAN CALL
    Pan pan, pan pan, pan pan, this is the sailing vessel Dancer. We have grounded on the shoal at Channel Island but appear to be stable. Repeat, this is the sailing vessel Dancer grounded on Channel Island shoal. Request assistance from any vessel in the vicinity in case of further distress. This is the sailing vessel Dancer standing by on channel 16.

After you determine that everything is fine and you are underway again, cancel the pan pan.

Hello all stations, hello all stations, hello all stations, this is the sailing vessel Dancer cancelling pan pan. Dancer standing by channel 16.

20.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 494 ✭✭vinnie13

get a vhf and as you said have a good look on youtube,i would recommend when you buy your vhf at first if possible listen to it and hone in on what happens and how people use it.
    i would also advise to call the coast gard when you launch give your vessel name area intending to use and a estimated time of returning home ******DO NOT FORGET TO CONTACT THE CG TO SAY YOU ARE BACK ASHORE IT COULD HAVE THE LIFEBOATS AND CG OUT SEARCHING*****

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

A couple of friends if mine have jet skis. They are notorious for just stopping which is a pain when you consider that you have to use the starter so much more ofter than on a speed boat.
    They have had the skis from new, keep them well maintained and garaged when not in use and only use them in fresh water. Even still batteries give problems and the engines generally cut out after a while idling. Anything smaller than a 3 seater will be very unstable when stationary or at low speeds and when you fall off your kill chord will cut the engine. Once the engine is running you are constantly moving forward so just to stop you need to knock off the engine ( or get a ski with reverse)
    With a speed boat if an outboard gives trouble you have space to work on it, you can use a reserve engine, paddle back to shore or at worst sit back and wait for rescue in a nice dry space. With a ski the engine is inaccessable under the seat. There is no room for a reserve engine or even a paddle ( impossible to paddle a jetski effectively anyway) you cant even sit comfortably when not moving especially at sea.
    I'd consider myself a fairly experienced boater, I've been on all sorts of boats in all sorts of waters in all sorts of weather and personally I wouldnt like to risk it solo, especially on a second hand ski but if there was a club you could head out with or even someone about in a boat to keep an eye on you for the first couple of outings until you get used to the ski it would be alot safer and probably more enjoyable for you

Okay guys thanks very much for all the info, it has really helped. I'm currently in the process of buying a VHF for €85 so it must be a half decent one. I'm also gonna' get myself some of them flares just in case.

With regards to where I'd be going, it would always be in sight of other boats so should something go wrong hopefully I won't have to waste people's time by using the VHF or flares. Also I do have quite a lot of hours of experience on jetskis so I understand how they handle work, literally the last 5 years of holidays has been spent mostly on a jet ski, quite surprised I'm only deciding to buy one now :p Thanks again though guys and gals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Would it be a good idea to jump in an icebath to get yourself used to it ?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Do you have a decent wetsuit and lifejacket?

Stheno wrote: »
    Do you have a decent wetsuit and lifejacket?
    I do indeed, those were the first things I bought.

Would I need the neoprene boots too do you think?

I do indeed, those were the first things I bought.

Would I need the neoprene boots too do you think?

Unless you plan to launch and recover in bare feet you might find they make life just a little bit comfier.... Bare feet are fine on a nice warm sandy beach in the sun but... On a cold slimey slipway I've always been glad of booties. Also leaves less skin exposed to jellyfish... Wasn't there a diver got a bad doing in Skerries (?) last year?

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭Gambas

Good afternoon

I'll be buying a jet ski in the next month but I have no one to go out with me (I'll be using it around Howth.

Is there an inexpensive way to back up measures such as a radio or a phone just in case something happens? (ie. it somehow sinks or the engine dies)

Safe Trx app lets the Coast Guard know your plan, jic.
    http://www.sailing.ie/Cruising/ISASafeTrx.aspx

Right I'm getting myself some boots too. Can't seem to find any canoe size (size 12) :p And so the search begins...

• Advertisement
Advertisement