Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rebuilding vinyl collection

Options
  • 22-05-2014 2:05pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭

not looking to cause a flame war or anything - just opinion.

Years ago (20) I had a collection of records , then when I moved out of home I (stupidly) flogged them . For half nothing.
    Now I've bought a gaff , and I think its time to get the collection back in order.
    I had a look at discogs and I am frankly aghast at the cost of the original vinyl (EG. early Burzum , Emperor , Impaled Nazarene etc.).

My current plan is to pick up reissues and hopefully as I go along pick back up the originals - taking a wait and see to hopefully pick them up reasonably priced.

Am I flawed in my thinking ? My reasoning for getting back the originals is mostly sentimental (or just mental ?) to be honest.

I'm based in cork

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Would you buy second hand?

Not into vinyl myself, but the other half has a fairly decent collection, she regularly buys second hand online or looks in second hand shops. Dunno where you're based, but in Galway, there's often some great things to be found in Bell, Book & Candle.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

Links234 wrote: »
    Would you buy second hand?

Not into vinyl myself, but the other half has a fairly decent collection, she regularly buys second hand online or looks in second hand shops. Dunno where you're based, but in Galway, there's often some great things to be found in Bell, Book & Candle.

Oh I've no problem with second hand. Even second hand the prices are very very high.

Cork is a desolate wasteland for even secondhand vinyl it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Depending on the era you are looking to buy from, prices can be very dear even for second-hand. Records from the 90s and early 00s can be very expensive as this was vinyl's nadir, so most releases, if they were pressed on vinyl at all, were pressed in very small numbers as there was practically no market. Consequently things like e.g. the vinyl release of The Division Bell by Floyd goes for big money. Ironically, the current vinyl revival has pushed these prices up further as people decide to do exactly what you are trying to do. But at least the prospect of re-issues means that cheaper versions of many sought-after releases will be available (as an example and since you mentioned Burzum, I found the Burzum/Aske Record Store Day re-issue on sale new for £16.99 online).

Yeah I take your point. But without going OTT on it , is there an appreciable difference between an original press and a repress ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Probably not, although some re-presses are pressed on heavier vinyl, which should sound better (deeper groove, more resonance). This is why you see a lot of re-issues advertising 180gm vinyl or even higher. The album may be slightly remastered to suit vinyl better, a couple of recent AC/DC re-releases have done this, apparently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭Nea

I too have started rebuilding my vinyl collection.I am glad I never had early Burzum or Emperor to get rid of :) I too will have to settle for the re issue of In The Nightside Eclipse

I have been buying from record fairs,adverts.ie and got some stuff reasonable from play.com/ cdwow (if you dont mind waiting) also links below may be of use to you.

http://intothevoidrecords.com/
    http://www.irishrecordfairs.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/soundzpromising

I will agree that a lot of what I come across can be quite expensive.

Looks like ordering off the web and up and down to Tommy in Sound Cellar so then.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Guitar_Monkey

Might be worth your while keeping an eye on the Sales & Wants forum on the Metal Ireland website.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Irish Halo

blastman wrote: »
    Probably not, although some re-presses are pressed on heavier vinyl, which should sound better (deeper groove, more resonance). This is why you see a lot of re-issues advertising 180gm vinyl or even higher. The album may be slightly remastered to suit vinyl better, a couple of recent AC/DC re-releases have done this, apparently.
    The AC/DC ones may be remastered especially for vinyl but this is not what I have experienced generally, a lot of re-releases seem to just be pressing the CD version/master onto vinyl. When I have considered buying albums from before ~1989 on vinyl I have looked for the original. I just picked up Killers and Iron Maiden originals instead of the recent picture disc reissue (picture discs IME always sound **** but I think that was true even back in the day). I bought British Steel by Judas Priest and Live In Munich by Rainbow re-releases during Record Store Day last year they both sound like ass.

Buying vinyl is now a fetish* and a lot of people won't even listen to the vinyl (hence the free download with most releases) and the labels are happy to put out any old crap if you will buy it. Some pressing plants (at least for new releases) just ask you to send MP3s ....

* p.s. a fetish I indulge in and have done for ages but I don't listen to it as much as I could

Irish Halo wrote: »
    The AC/DC ones may be remastered especially for vinyl but this is not what I have experienced generally, a lot of re-releases seem to just be pressing the CD version/master onto vinyl.

This is very true. If you're buying new or reissued vinyl, it pays to do a bit of research online first.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Not to hijack the thread, but where would one buy a decent record player, and how much would we be talking?

Not to hijack the thread, but where would one buy a decent record player, and how much would we be talking?

You could try hifi hut, record spot or the listening suite. all in dublin. for a really good entry level turntable you're talking about €350. a rega rg1 or pro-ject debut carbon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭jonon9

You could try hifi hut, record spot or the listening suite. all in dublin. for a really good entry level turntable you're talking about €350. a rega rg1 or pro-ject debut carbon.

Got back into records myself a few years ago from a long break from them, I managed to pick up a mint condition Technics sl 1200 mk2 for €180 I know its considered a "DJ" table but for the price that they can be got for its very hard to resist. Keep an eye on adverts you often see rega and pro-ject turn up.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭The Drunken Destrier

OP I don't think it's mad to want the originals back, it must sting to know you let them go, but from my experience of trying to build a collection when original presses were all before my time, the reissues are great value for money. Your first online stop should be plastichead. They have all Emperor represses, among others.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

I bought a load of records off ebay last year. Some excellent venders on there who really know their stuff. Bargins can be got too if you spend the time.

Picked up Rush 2112 for £8.50 incl P&P! each to their own though.

Advertisement