Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1s v. New York bar or both?

• 22-05-2014 3:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi there,

I have a LL.B from the Netherlands and a LL.M in E-Law & IP law from UCC. Now that I am qualified I am looking for the next step. I've been told that the FE1s would be the logical next step if I don't want to move back to The Netherlands. Also, I was told that the New York Bar might be an option for me. At the moment I feel like I"m in limbo as I'm not sure what the next step should/could be. There are so few jobs advertised for graduates in the legal field so any tips and suggestions would be very much appreciated.

I would love to hear your opinions on which one would be most advisable when it comes to career prospects. Furthermore, I would really value hearing about your experiences with the FE1s and the Friary Law training/exams.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭chops018

You are very far from qualified yet, I'm afraid. At least at being a legally qualified professional.

Regarding the NY Bar, I don't know much about that, but there is a search function you should see on the page, type in NY Bar and loads of results will come up.

The FE1's are grueling for most people. Mainly because a lot are working while doing them, and they are much harder than undergraduate exams. But, if you persevere and study well then you'll definitively get them, just don't be surprised if you're at least a year, or even up to two years, before getting all 8.

Same goes for the FE1's re the search function. There are loads of threads on this topic. Use the search function and happy reading.

Advertisement