Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Repeating Year.. Need Help!!

• 22-05-2014 3:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hi all,

I am a second year student in DCU and failed 4/6 subjects at christmas and I am on course to doing even worse this time round. I doubt Ill be able to pass all my repeats and I am willing to repeat modules next year. What I am wondering is if there is a certain amount of subjects I can repeat next year? I dont want to have to repeat the whole year because that sucks and I dont want to have to pay full fees cause that sucks even more. Ideally I'd complete 6/7 modules this year then complete the rest next year, is this possible or do I need to pass a certain amount to be able to complete the remainder next year?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭andyman

You repeat whatever modules you fail in the repeats.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 BlackStreet

So say I failed 10/12 modules I would only have to repeat those ten and not the other two?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Pov06

So say I failed 10/12 modules I would only have to repeat those ten and not the other two?

Exactly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

If you fail a lot of your modules perhaps focus on passing a few of them in the August repeats. If you manage to pass all you semester 1 repeats in August you could perhaps work Between now and when Semester 2 starts. You would have lots of time between August this year and the beginning of semester 2 to get to grips with any of the modules you missed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 111 ✭✭iiHyPeRize

Just try to pass as many as you can in August. You don't pay fees for repeating btw, you simply pay per credit. It's 55 euro per credit, 5 credit modules therefore cost 275 and 550 for 10 credit modules.

Whatever modules you fail again in August, you have to take them next academic year, and you're technically still in 2nd year. You do them along with next year's 2nd years and they are technically you're new class. If you pass them next year, you progress to 3rd year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 fusion19

iiHyPeRize wrote: »
    Just try to pass as many as you can in August. You don't pay fees for repeating btw, you simply pay per credit. It's 55 euro per credit, 5 credit modules therefore cost 275 and 550 for 10 credit modules.

Whatever modules you fail again in August, you have to take them next academic year, and you're technically still in 2nd year. You do them along with next year's 2nd years and they are technically you're new class. If you pass them next year, you progress to 3rd year.

Are you serious if i fail a few of my repeats i can still go into second year and do them along with my second year modules....are you serious i was considering throwing myself in front of a train

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

fusion19 wrote: »
    Are you serious if i fail a few of my repeats i can still go into second year and do them along with my second year modules....are you serious i was considering throwing myself in front of a train

No, that's not what the poster above was saying. The OP failed second year modules. If they fail 2nd year repeats they do not progress to third year and repeat those 2nd year modules for the next academic year.

I'm assuming in your case you failed 1st year modules? If you fail the repeats you will not move on to 2nd year. You would instead spend the year repeating just those modules that you failed. If you pass them that time then in September 2015 you would move on to 2nd year.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 BlackStreet

Hi, back again..

Just a little update. I'm literally going to fail all my repeats. I'm wondering what to do and I'm getting really stressed out about it. Currently I have two modules passed from during the year and the potential to pass maybe two more.

Here's the thing though, I'm really getting fed up with the college thing and all the exams and I really need a break. I'm thinking of just taking a year out because dropping out is not an option. What I'm wondering is whether I can defer the 8 modules I failed for a year or do I have to do all 12 again after a year out?

I'm genuinely thinking of just not doing any repeats and just taking next year off and go back and start second year again the year after. I know this is probably a terrible idea because of the chance it won't want to go back but I just can't inspire myself to do any of the work.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 66 ✭✭Sciscitatio

Hi, back again..

Just a little update. I'm literally going to fail all my repeats. I'm wondering what to do and I'm getting really stressed out about it. Currently I have two modules passed from during the year and the potential to pass maybe two more.

Here's the thing though, I'm really getting fed up with the college thing and all the exams and I really need a break. I'm thinking of just taking a year out because dropping out is not an option. What I'm wondering is whether I can defer the 8 modules I failed for a year or do I have to do all 12 again after a year out?

I'm genuinely thinking of just not doing any repeats and just taking next year off and go back and start second year again the year after. I know this is probably a terrible idea because of the chance it won't want to go back but I just can't inspire myself to do any of the work.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

First things, try not to get down about it, you are not the only one in this boat, I can tell you that. I would recommend that you contact your progromme chair (Person who manages your course) Send them an email and ask for a meeting, have a talk with them. They will outline options like taking a year off, or repeating next year, and will be best positioned to give you advice that suits you.

Advertisement