Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Trail running, what do you bring with you?

• 22-05-2014 3:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭

I've started going for a few runs offroad. So far I've been a bit light on kit (map and a buff for head/ears if it gets cold) as I've stuck to pretty easy terrain and obvious trails.

Last weekend my route turned out to be a bit more adventurous and technical.

I've been thinking I should probably bring a phone/whistle/foil blanket or light jacket incase anything goes wrong (roll ankle or something similar) or the weather turns. Anyone comment on what tradeoffs they make of going lightweight vs. the risks when offroad, and if there's anything else you'd bring with you during the summer months?

So far I've only been out for small 10k runs up near ticknock/cruagh, but am hoping to go head further down into wicklow over the next few weeks.

(Probably worth mentioning that I've left an outline of what the planned run is with someone before heading off, and an indication of when I will be back.)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

If you have a smartphone, put it into a waterproof bag. Touchscreens are woeful with any moisture on them, ie sweat or the slightest bit of rain. I have heard other people recommending old Nokias too.

I bring a small first aid kit on any long runs in remote areas (yes, I have had to use it.)

I also bring a map and compass when running somewhere completely new.

If rain is likely I bring a very lightweight goretex rain jacket. This here is the cheapest and lightest jacket I could find (I got mine for halfprice).

Summer is no different to winter though, except that the rain is warmer ;)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

If you have a smartphone, put it into a waterproof bag. Touchscreens are woeful with any moisture on them, ie sweat or the slightest bit of rain. I have heard other people recommending old Nokias too.

I second this, and add that although its likely less of an issue in the summer touch screens are rubbish if its very cold and your hands are cold too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

Also, this emergency bag is very lightweight. I haven't had to use it yet, but it takes up very little space in my bag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

On trails around Ticknock/3 Rock, usually just bring my phone. Mainly to stop it getting nicked in the car.

Stick it in a dry bag: http://www.greatoutdoors.ie/product_info.php?cPath=0_27_229_122&products_id=34991 I've the viewranger app on it which shows most of the trails around Dublin/Wicklow which is handy.

On more adventurous routes, I've the same bivvy bag as above. Only bring it with me when off the main trails, or remote-ish places. Put it in a backpack with a rain jacket and a couple of gels just in case. That's it. Weight isn't really an issue as the stuff is so light. Once it's on, you don't notice it.

Advertisement