Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for a large stock pot + bag for BIAB

Options
  • 22-05-2014 4:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭

My thinking is this: Do a 50L BIAB brew. Split it into two buckets. One mega bottling day. Less boiling etc. Profit.

homebrewcompany have a 70L one for not unreasonable money here, but I thought you fine folks might know of one going cheaper.

Also, where would one get a bag big enough to hold enough grain to brew with a 70L pot?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Khannie wrote: »
    Also, where would one get a bag big enough to hold enough grain to brew with a 70L pot?
    CustomBIAB may be able to sort you out.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Hingo

My thinking is this: Do a 50L BIAB brew. Split it into two buckets. One mega bottling day. Less boiling etc. Profit.
    a 70L pot?

I hope you don't get lugged with 100 pints of bad beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Hingo wrote: »
    I hope you don't get lugged with 100 pints of bad beer.

I'm sure I will at some point, but you know what? I reckon it's going to save so much time and hassle in the long run that it will eventually be worth it. I hope so anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Hingo

I'm sure I will at some point, but you know what? I reckon it's going to save so much time and hassle in the long run that it will eventually be worth it. I hope so anyway.
    If you don't already have a keg, might be worth getting now, split the batches for a keg fill and put the rest in bottles.

Super idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭sharingan

You dont need the bag, a large sheet of unstitched voile will do the trick too. That said, you are going with a large brew kettle and grain bill, and a proper bag may make everything tidier (I am thinking you will need all the help you can get hoisting wet grain bags).

If you wanted to get started earlier it is something you can forego initially.

As for the stock pot itself, I don't know of anything that is significantly cheaper on this side of the pond. However, look into hop & Grape or the Malt Miller, they sell similar stock pots fully modified (with heating elements, sight glasses, release valves).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

I got a bag made up from voile curtain net,
    It's a double layer to take the weight of wet grain, which mashing a double brew, will weigh a lot

Cost about a tenner but got 2 hop bags thrown in from some of the off it material

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭groom

Did you go for the linked one in the end? How's it working out?

I rang Hickeys about picking up some voile for making a bag. The woman recommended some natural fibre muslin that she said was better for cooking with.

Not yet. I'm heading down to Cork in a few weeks and while there I intend buying a heap of malted barley grain. That'll give me the excuse I need. :) Good tip on the muslin. Thanks.

Oh yeah? Where will you be getting the grain? What price / quantity are you getting?

• Advertisement

There's a malting company in Cork. Can't remember the name of it but I'm thinking 50kg. Think it comes in 25kg bags. I'd consider doing a group buy if people were interested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

There's a malting company in Cork. Can't remember the name of it but I'm thinking 50kg. Think it comes in 25kg bags. I'd consider doing a group buy if people were interested.

I'd be interested.

I'd be interested

I am finding that it is getting trickier and trickier to make the time to brew. Bottling and other brew hobby make work can get done, but the mash/brew day is getting squeezed out of the week. Brew big and split into different FVs is starting to make an appeal to me. Though you really want to be confident that what you get will be drinkable.

What you might want to consider is the fully built stockpots that you can get from either Hop and Grape or the Malt Miller. Essentially 50L, 70L or 100L stockpots with added elements, tap, sight glass etc. You can go to town on them.

The malt miller will have a 70L stockpot with holes cut for taps for £90. They will drill extra holes for elements if you ask them, which you can then fit yourself. http://www.themaltmiller.co.uk/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=390

Hop and Grape sell them with elements fitted:
    https://www.hopandgrape.co.uk/equipment/stainless-steel/stainless-steel-boiling-pan-boiler-70-litre.html
    £150 or so, but I would be tempted to have another element installed.

Oh that one from the malt miller looks like just the ticket. Thanks for the link.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭blueshed

groom wrote: »
    Did you go for the linked one in the end? How's it working out?

I rang Hickeys about picking up some voile for making a bag. The woman recommended some natural fibre muslin that she said was better for cooking with.

Voile is better. Muslin is more porous, and can/will rot over time.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭blueshed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Elbow

blueshed wrote: »

I abandoned my stove top BIAB plan and picked up one of these kits a few weeks ago, still haven't got around to doing a brew though.

Great value kit especially considering there's a full ingredient pack included (and Deborah will substitute the larger kit for any of the other kits if you ask nicely :-D)

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭poitinstill

now showing as 117 euro

• Advertisement
Advertisement