Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

pig herd number

• 22-05-2014 5:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭

hi guys

looking for some advice from people who have already been through the process,
    i am looking at rearing a few pigs could any of you tell me what is required to get a pig herd number, do i need a shed or could i get away with just a pig ark, if i do need a shed would it need to have a concrete floor,
    would love to here from people who had to go through the process
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,640 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

bigtomw wrote: »
    hi guys

looking for some advice from people who have already been through the process,
    i am looking at rearing a few pigs could any of you tell me what is required to get a pig herd number, do i need a shed or could i get away with just a pig ark, if i do need a shed would it need to have a concrete floor,
    would love to here from people who had to go through the process
    thanks

We got a herd number a few years ago..
    At the time we were using a really bad shelter which consisted of a few sheets of tin fixed against a wall on a stone base, bedded with straw. This was very acceptable to the vet inspecting.
    He wanted to see rodent proof feed storage, what type of feed we were using, wanted to see that we knew how to contact the local vet (we were farming anyway). You'll need a decent fresh water supply at hand. And some troughs.

We've since moved the pigs to better accomodation and a better area to roam over.

There really isn't much to the inspection at all and we found them very easy to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭bigtomw

thanks for the reply brian, it was very helpful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,368 ✭✭✭✭Base price

As Brian said, basic accommodation/shelter, running piped water to a drinker is a must, a feed bin (wheelie bin will suffice) and proper fencing.
    Also like Brian we already had a cattle herd number so it was a simple enough.
    However, if you keep chickens make sure that you are registered flock keeper with the Dept prior to looking for a pig herd number.

Base price wrote: »
    As Brian said, basic accommodation/shelter, running piped water to a drinker is a must, a feed bin (wheelie bin will suffice) and proper fencing.
    Also like Brian we already had a cattle herd number so it was a simple enough.
    However, if you keep chickens make sure that you are registered flock keeper with the Dept prior to looking for a pig herd number.

For running water we have a hose to a tub drinker. We also have chickens at the house with no flock number and there was no mention of that being a problem.

We even had the unregistered pigs there running round in the pen when he arrived, I apologized and his only comment was "its not illegal to have a few pigs, but its great your registering"

_Brian wrote: »
    For running water we have a hose to a tub drinker. We also have chickens at the house with no flock number and there was no mention of that being a problem.

We even had the unregistered pigs there running round in the pen when he arrived, I apologized and his only comment was "its not illegal to have a few pigs, but its great your registering"
    I got our pig number about 8 years ago. When the vet arrived to inspect he saw the hens running around the yard and asked me did I have a hen flock number as under some regulation we were required to have one and he would not be able to proceed with the pig registration unless I had one. I informed him that i had one and he took note of the number.

• Advertisement

I got our pig number about 8 years ago. When the vet arrived to inspect he saw the hens running around the yard and asked me did I have a hen flock number as under some regulation we were required to have one and he would not be able to proceed with the pig registration unless I had one. I informed him that i had one and he took note of the number.

Indeed..
    Its good to know that.
    Must investigate the flock number myself so.

@ Brian.
    It is very straight forward. Just download the form, fill it in and post it to local DVO. No inspection. They will send you back your number.
    I think it is only required so the Dept have a better idea of where small flocks are in case there is an outbreak of a nasty.
    Here is the link to the Dept website, 6th option down and when you click on it a pdf file opens that you can print off.
    http://www.agriculture.gov.ie/animalhealthwelfare/animalwelfare/registrationofpremisesanimals/

@ Brian.
    It is very straight forward. Just download the form, fill it in and post it to local DVO. No inspection. They will send you back your number.
    I think it is only required so the Dept have a better idea of where small flocks are in case there is an outbreak of a nasty.
    Here is the link to the Dept website, 6th option down and when you click on it a pdf file opens that you can print off.
    http://www.agriculture.gov.ie/animalhealthwelfare/animalwelfare/registrationofpremisesanimals/

thanks for that..:)

Advertisement