Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Alloy wheel refurb?

Options
  • 22-05-2014 6:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭

hi,

I want to refurbish my BuddyClub P1's as i will be putting them onto a new car, i'll be doing all necessary work myself, it'll be my first time doing it also..

I will be looking to sand all scratches and marks out of them and then to respray them a completely different colour (probably bronze or black)..

Could anyone give me a list of what i would need to buy in local shops?? even the best paint to buy for it would be appreciated too, cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭JUSTsomeBLOKE!

and if anyone could quickly tell me how to post a photo of the kerbing that is on them that'd be great thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

and if anyone could quickly tell me how to post a photo of the kerbing that is on them that'd be great thanks

Upload the photos to a site such as www.pix.ie. Copy the image url by right clicking on it and then clicking "copy image url". then, on Boards click the insertimage.gif button and paste in the image url :)

thanks for the information, i joined pix.ie and just tried copying and pasting the URL, but boards wont let me post as i am a new user.... :/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

New user?? Is there a 50 post minimum??

Anyways, with the amount of work involved, cost of materials, your time, etc, etc, you'd be better off getting them done professionally!

Curran wrote: »
    New user?? Is there a 50 post minimum??

Anyways, with the amount of work involved, cost of materials, your time, etc, etc, you'd be better off getting them done professionally!

nah i want to give it a shot myself, it'd be a challenge for me to get a decent finish on them as i haven't done it before.

• Advertisement

thanks for the information, i joined pix.ie and just tried copying and pasting the URL, but boards wont let me post as i am a new user.... :/

One more post and you'll be able to :D

I refurbished a set of wheels myself once, never again!!!! The amount of work is crazy and very tedious. Though saying that, I needed them for my daily driver so I was in a rush to get it back on the road. I'll pay someone to do it next time and powder coated too so the finish is tougher :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

nah i want to give it a shot myself, it'd be a challenge for me to get a decent finish on them as i haven't done it before.

Let us know how you get on!!
    Update us after you've finished prep'ing the first wheel! ;)

this wheel is the worst out of the 4 so it shouldnt be too bad of a job
    ng77r_thumb.jpg
    ck3sv_thumb.jpg
    aq9li_thumb.jpg
    looks like it was a 50 post minimum!! haah:D

i tried a different site called img.ie to upload the pics

Curran wrote: »
    Let us know how you get on!!
    Update us after you've finished prep'ing the first wheel! ;)

i will be going hunting for some supplies to tomorrow to get the wheels prepped found a list of stuff i will need

You'll need a bit of filler for that curbing.

• Advertisement

Ded_Zebra wrote: »
    You'll need a bit of filler for that curbing.

i know, looking up a few videos on youtube for a couple tips on it, cheers

i know, looking up a few videos on youtube for a couple tips on it, cheers

Good stuff. Take a few pictures when you do it anyway to show us :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

For a durable finish a body shop is the only job IMO. The paint in rattle cans is only 1k so won't be very hard wearing against stones and grit.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

As someone who has refurbed numerous sets of alloys in the past, I would strongly advise you to get them done professionally if you can afford it. DIY refurbs are an absolute PITA between sanding, filling, sanding, cleaning, spraying etc. I just know that I will never do it again and I got my own done by Wheel Wizards and I can't fault anything they did.

Be aware that the paint from spray cans isn't that strong and will chip easily. Another reason to get it done by a pro.

With that out of the way, just remember that the key to a good finish is all in the preparation. Don't use too much hardener when you mix it with filler and use aluminium filler if you can as this will make a better bond. Many thing coats when spraying primer/paint/lacquer is always better than a few thick coats. Don't be tempted to spray on too much.

Get yourself one of those gun handle things from Halfords that you clip the spray can into. You'll be surprised how numb your finger can get from all that pushing down on the nozzle!

Be patient and best of luck!

As someone who has refurbed numerous sets of alloys in the past, I would strongly advise you to get them done professionally if you can afford it. DIY refurbs are an absolute PITA between sanding, filling, sanding, cleaning, spraying etc. I just know that I will never do it again and I got my own done by Wheel Wizards and I can't fault anything they did.

Be aware that the paint from spray cans isn't that strong and will chip easily. Another reason to get it done by a pro.

With that out of the way, just remember that the key to a good finish is all in the preparation. Don't use too much hardener when you mix it with filler and use aluminium filler if you can as this will make a better bond. Many thing coats when spraying primer/paint/lacquer is always better than a few thick coats. Don't be tempted to spray on too much.

Get yourself one of those gun handle things from Halfords that you clip the spray can into. You'll be surprised how numb your finger can get from all that pushing down on the nozzle!

Be patient and best of luck!

thanks for all the advice ive spent half the day cleaning the wheels from all dust and tar, i'll post some photos later.

but just out of curiosity. I was getting a puncture repaired 2 weeks ago and wheel wizards was recommended by the chap working there, he said they would charge in around the 280 mark for all 4 wheels to be fixed and re-sprayed, does this sound right to you?? theres no buckles or cracks in them so no major work involved..

Thanks again for the help.

I paid c. 350 for a set of 18" alloys. It sounds to me as though your alloys are 17" or 16" from that price.

They gave me a replacement set so I could drive off again, removed my tyres, acid bathed the alloys, sandblasted them, repaired all kerb damage, powdercoated them, lacquered them, replaced the tyres and balanced the wheels for that price.

Incredible value IMO.

my wheels are 15" i scrubbed all four clean took up most the day to get them spotless and was able to get one wheel sanded down ready to be primed once the rest of them are done...

i was recommended a cleaner by a lad in a local garage for all the brake dust etc.
    nk2uq_thumb.jpg
    u0vwr_thumb.jpg
    j8bcq_thumb.jpg
    as you can see the dust on the wheel was thick and had the whole wheel wrecked, but it worked wonders... heres a picture of the same wheel, cleaned and sanded down...
    e5mu8_thumb.jpg
    h6tfz_thumb.jpg
    7a7ft_thumb.jpg

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,943 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Good job.
    What did you clean them with?

mik_da_man wrote: »
    Good job.
    What did you clean them with?

i cleaned them with Meguiars all wheel cleaner... worked great on them, although you do need to go heavy when spraying it.

Halfords also sell it, i'd definitely recommend it.

well with work being in the way of everything it's going to be taking a few days longer than expected, but all four wheels have been filled and primed.

i am going to wait until tomorrow to give them another rub down and prime again...

here is the same wheel as shown in all previous pictures as it was the worst damaged wheel:

fbq1g_thumb.jpg
    9jb97_thumb.jpg
    4zm4p_thumb.jpg

not bad so far for first time doing it, can anybody recommend a decent spray paint to use for these?? preferably black.. cheers

• Advertisement

well they're finished.. happy with the way they turned out it was a tiring job but well worth the hassle... all i need now is a nice new car for them to go onto ;) heres a couple pictures
    jjqy1_thumb.jpg
    1uyn6_thumb.jpg
    scqt0_thumb.jpg
    lcaqq_thumb.jpg

Lovely job!

I spent the day sealing my own wheels. Tired is not the word haha

That finish is excellent and is a credit to your patience in the prep! :)

What car are they going on?

cheers

delighted with the way they turned out :pac: ye the hard work paid off

i have seen them on a civic (gunmetal grey) and a glanza (white) before...

they looked lovely on the civic so if a nice black civic pops up ill be going for an all black kind of job.. its always been a style i liked. so hopefully something nice shows up for sale soon enough :rolleyes:

i forgot to mention i owned them on a navy civic before taking them off so thats also why im looking to out them back on one ha

Advertisement