Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strong Female Characters In Videogames ?

Options
  • 22-05-2014 7:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

With a conversation I had with a friend after some hot topics over the last year or so on how women are portrayed In videogames , without having to bring up an old thread about a certain someone Anita Sarkeesian who was very vocal on how women are the prize for the protagnist after fighting the evil empire and as the saying goes save the world and get the girl, I would like to hear people opinions on what characters you feel are strong female characters and why , not necessary to try to debunk the claims that women are often mistreated but to showcase that there are in fact women in games that do portray strong leaders, smart characters and not a trophy.

The Boss:
    112092-222286-MetalGearSolid3shot01jpg-620x.jpg

The Boss also known as the joy is the first female that comes to my mind on a woman who ideals and philosophies changed the outcome of the world of the metal gear series. A character loved by many even at her death sparked two men one who considered her a friend (Major Zero) and a person who felt she was more than a friend, lover or mother ( Naked Snake ) ( jack ). two men who lost their ways in her passing and felt they needed to carry her memories and ideals on how the world was suppose to be for the future, even a scientist Dr. Strange Love loved her and was willing to give everything to understand why she did what she did.

Kojima who is known to do outlandish things to women particularly the complaints of a certain character in ground zeroes, but if there is anything he should be applauded for is creating a universal character that is more than just a sex appeal but creating a character that was so perfect in mind and spirit that just one game she was in made millions of people caring for her at the end of the credits.

I like to keep it as one example just so everyone gets a say without repeating same characters over but by all means add as many as you like.:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,829 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Clementiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiine

1398958902-twd-keyart-nologo.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

When one thinks of strong, that is playing to the essence strengths - I presume in the sense of feminine: caring, naturing and willing to sacrifice for the family/group: as opposed the model comprised of the modern world which seeks to input the overbearing attributes of a man and seeks to enfused that in a female form - again I presume for political reasons in some misguided pursuit of a post-progressive utopia where all many of differences are banished in the name of equality.

In that case, allow me to nominate Grace Nakimura character from Gabrial Knight series, how had a well round and intelligent personality that made an interesting gaming experience.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,353 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Zoe Castillo from Dreamfall.

Most of the Atelier protagonists are great female characters and don't try to act like males. Ayesha would be the best example.

All five of the main female characters from Higurashi are excellent. Again they are just normal kids and not superheroes.

I really loved Melia's character in Xenoblade. Her romantic character arc is the most mature I've seen a game deal with a relationship in any game and she really shows her strength through it.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

One of the original strong female characters: Samus Aran. (Just ignore the story in Other M...)

Alex Roivas in Eternal Darkness was also one that I particularly liked.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

FemShep in Mass Effect for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭rizzla

Probably because I'm playing it at the moment but Rhonda in Dead Rising 3 is badass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Elizabeth in Bioshock deserves lots of praise for doing what needed to be done.

I can't think of Rhonda in DR3 without thinking of Pam from Archer, don't think they are the same woman but they sound alike :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

Jade from Beyond Good and Evil. And you actually got to play as her. One of my favourite games of all time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

calex71 wrote: »
    Elizabeth in Bioshock deserves lots of praise for doing what needed to be done.

I can't think of Rhonda in DR3 without thinking of Pam from Archer, don't think they are the same woman but they sound alike :D

I was gonna say Elizabeth too but then I remembered the ending. I can't put spoiler tags up but, ya know....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

I think Samus Aran really stands out, especially with the reveal and everything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

Lacey Jonas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

Ellie from the Last Of Us

• Registered Users Posts: 12,435 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

the reimaging of Lara Croft certainly helped her get away from the sexist version that came before

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

Skerries wrote: »
    the reimaging of Lara Croft certainly helped her get away from the sexist version that came before

this would be the non sexist version that thinks a woman needs to be almost raped to grow as a person?

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Fawk Nin

Ada Wong from Resi Evil.

As mentioned above, Samus.

Ah forgot all about the legend Lara Croft. Much prefer the original Lara. Didn't moan and cry every step she took, just wooped a lot of male and animal ass with her dual pistols!

Man, what a brilliant brilliant game.

Tomb_Raider_(1996).png

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Lightning from ff13

Freya from ff9

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

this would be the non sexist version that thinks a woman needs to be almost raped to grow as a person?

Can you remind me which qte you have to fail for the rape to happen? I don't recall it anywhere, which is odd, seeing as I failed each one a few times due to the keyboard controls...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

Alex vance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Sarah Palmer from Halo 4 and Spartan assault. Cortana is sort of female, the doctor she was based off.

I would agree with Alex Vance in half life. Theresa in Fable.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

Sarky wrote: »
    Can you remind me which qte you have to fail for the rape to happen? I don't recall it anywhere, which is odd, seeing as I failed each one a few times due to the keyboard controls...

i never played the game I was just parroting the "gamez is so sexist" meme the media was pushing around the time of the games release

Lt. Mira in Space Marine. Granted she was the only female character, but she held up against two planetary invasions, coordinated the defense against both, and didn't let stupid sexist twaddle get in the way of doing her job. Also got treated as an equal by the protagonist, even before she saved his life. She wasn't some ditzy stereotyped pair of breasts, or a prize to be won.

i never played the game I was just parroting the "gamez is so sexist" meme the media was pushing around the time of the games release

Ah, I see. Do play it, it's rather good. There's a "nearly strangled by a creepy Russian" qte, but no sign of the rape the media kept howling about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Ah, I see. Do play it, it's rather good. There's a "nearly strangled by a creepy Russian" qte, but no sign of the rape the media kept howling about.

It was never there, it was always a threat nothing else as far as I know.

The Master of Unlocking!

Jill!!!! (I miss last last last gen)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Jill valentine...................what a woman!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Lt. Mira in Space Marine. Granted she was the only female character, but she held up against two planetary invasions, coordinated the defense against both, and didn't let stupid sexist twaddle get in the way of doing her job. Also got treated as an equal by the protagonist, even before she saved his life. She wasn't some ditzy stereotyped pair of breasts, or a prize to be won.

Came here to post this as well. I was really impressed with her character. She wasn't treated in the usual stereotypical way but as an Imperial Guard officer who just happens to be female.

The game has actually been praised by feminists for this reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Alyx in Half-Life 2. Femshep in Mass Effect, Miranda in ME2. Lara Croft, particularly nowadays when she's less absurdly proportioned to appeal to 14 year old boys. There are quite a few others - but still not nearly enough.

It is pretty stunning the sheer volume of games that feature a grizzled male 30 / 40 something lead who is on a quest to save / avenge his wife / daughter / some woman. Once you look for it, you can't stop seeing it everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

sheehy83 wrote: »
    The Master of Unlocking!

Jill!!!! (I miss last last last gen)

Maybe in the later Resident Evil games, in Resident Evil she was too dependant on Barry saving her in some situations. "Stand Back Jill!"
    They had Chris able to make it through similar circumstances without help, so Jill needing Barry's help kinda removed the self reliance that she should have had.

Claire in Resident Evil 2 would be a much better example in my opinion.

In my opinion, Samus Aran is the epitome of strong female characters*, in that her sex doesn't even come into the equation. She just does what she has to do, and the fact that she's female is entirely irrelevant.

*again, with the exception of Other M. :( Hate what they did to her in the cut scenes in that game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,648 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Trish in Devil May Cry (though more specifically, DMC4). You could also play as her in DMC2 which was pretty much the only good thing about that game (even though I generally prefer to pretend DMC2 doesn't exist).

Advertisement