Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maternity benefit split between two employers

Options
  • 22-05-2014 7:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,276 ✭✭✭✭

Just going to cross post this in case anyone can help.
    mdwexford wrote: »
    My girlfriend is going to be taking maternity leave soon.

She has two jobs and two permanent contracts that say she gets full pay and they take her €230 maternity benefit. The problem is how does she split it between the two employers.

The maternity office said in these situations they would send the payment to her and her employers could both deduct her €115 each from her wages.

The HSE who is one of the employers say they need a letter saying they should deduct this amount and the other job will do the same but the maternity office said they dont issue letters to say that because they can't tell people how it should be split. Otherwise they said they will just take €230 from her wages themselves.

She works every day for both and has pretty much equal hours and wages.

Have been to the citizens advice, tax office, social welfare and the maternity office and nobody seems to have a definitive answer and most have said they've never come across this.

Find it hard to believe she is the first person ever to get pregnant and have two jobs.

Really at the end of our tether and have no idea who to contact about this now.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

can she talk to HR in the 2nd job?

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭TheBeach

I'd imagine the letter allowing 1/2 deduction has to come from the Employee to her Employers i.e. your wife, not from Maternity Benefit section.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,276 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Yes but both jobs seem to need someone official to tell them you get half the maternity benefit each, end of story if that's indeed what should happen.

Both will deduct 230 from her wages if not so she will be out 460 wages but only receiving 230 maternity benefit which would obviously be nonsense.

Every department keeps passing the buck and saying they have never come across this and asking supervisors etc

Surely it's not that uncommon for a woman to have two jobs like this?

I've been searching the internet myself for information and have found zero.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭coathanger

Have you spoken to NERA,they might be able to advise.Hope you get it sorted soon,it's very very frustrating,when no one takes ownership, & you are being passed about the place,had that experience lately,enough to make you loose your mind..

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭TheBeach

Hi I've been thinking more about this. Generally when ppl work two jobs they have 1 main employment in which they pay an A class prsi stamp.. This is the employment that all cclaims are made through e.g maternity. The other employment is class J as it is subsidiary and only claims for occupational injuries can be made through this employment. There is a section in dept social welfare that make decisions on what insurance class should be paid by each employment. They are called scope! Give them a buzz and your wife may be due a prsi refund too. Sorry for spellings etc am on phone!

• Advertisement
Advertisement