Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IGN Top 100 Games last generation

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

These things are so stupidly subjective that it's pointless to even debate them. Every single person here will have a different list with different games in a different order that all a 'definitive' list will do is get people's backs up. As tok9 said, take it as 100 Games from the Last Generation You Should Play and it's fine.

Agree 100% , most are worthy of your time but me for example I hated Mario Galaxy with a passion, no reason specifically just wasn't for me and it wouldn't even feature on my own list were as loads of others would have it in #1 spot and demons souls didn't make this list nor did the original borderlands both of which I'd rate as personal favorites.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Wii Sports as #19 though? After that, I'd probably agree with super_furry

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

I don't particularly agree with the order of the list but it is a pretty good collection of games.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Mario Galaxy at No.1 was...........surprisingly, on IGN's part, a good choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

No Valkyria Chronicles at all?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Corholio wrote: »
    Mario Galaxy at No.1 was...........surprisingly, on IGN's part, a good choice.

Yup it's a masterpiece

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

DJ Hero and Dance Central beats AC:4?

How the hell?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,353 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

They forgot the DX at the end of pac man championship edition.

Think it's a bit of a piss poor list. Everyone and their dogs knows they should play those games. Were are the surprises, the hidden gems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

you know whats worse than reading this list ?

reading the comment section on Ign number 1 spot given to Mario Galaxy

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Real bad list......xenoblade in the 80's and Mario galaxy no 1,they can **** right off with that,bunch of langers!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,353 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I don't know about that. Both Mario Galaxy games are amazing and real contenders for number 1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Think it's a bit of a piss poor list. Everyone and their dogs knows they should play those games. Were are the surprises, the hidden gems.

You ask one person to list their top 100 games and you'll get a load of surprises and hidden gems. You ask a load of people to list their top 100 games and compile them together to make one list and the list'll become more generic as everybody's unique choices get squeezed out and the games that have some sort of common consensus stay in.

Can't really see anything wrong with the list. It is what it is...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Only thing I have a problem with the list really is no valkyria chronicles and fifa 12 is on the list

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,597 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I don't know about that. Both Mario Galaxy games are amazing and real contenders for number 1.

Unfortunately there are an awful lot of people who just refuse to acknowledge that the Galaxy games are sublime.
    They are two of so many great games but they really are so worth playing.

It's bizarre that folk could be so, well, insulted by its position on top of the heap, though I think Super Mario 64 was more important, at least to me.

Wel mario 64 pretty much defined how 3d games are made. It's a hugely important game. The galaxy games aren't going to change the industry, they are just two sublime and expertly made games.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Randall Floyd

A list of the 100 most underrated games of the last gen would have been more interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Unfortunately there are an awful lot of people who just refuse to acknowledge that the Galaxy games are sublime.
    They are two of so many great games but they really are so worth playing.

It's bizarre that folk could be so, well, insulted by its position on top of the heap, though I think Super Mario 64 was more important, at least to me.

This list is the 100 greatest games from generation 7 though. Mario 64 is from generation 5.

Get a 100 greatest from gen 5 list and that would be interesting alright.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,597 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

This list is the 100 greatest games from generation 7 though. Mario 64 is from generation 5.

Get a 100 greatest from gen 5 list and that would be interesting alright.

Thanks,
    I did not know that.
    Mario Galaxy is a worthy No. 1, though I just think I might rather see Dark Souls there instead, a magnificent example of videogames as a developers craft.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

much as I love dark souls and think it deserves an easy #2 spot, i'd happily place mario galaxy 1 ahead of it. That game was just wonderful. It made the horrible motion controlled wii nonsense seem bearable and that's a hell of a thing to manage.

much as I love dark souls and think it deserves an easy #2 spot, i'd happily place mario galaxy 1 ahead of it. That game was just wonderful.

And yet there are those who think you can't be a lover of games like DS and still adore SMG as well.

I found it very hard to love any racing titles this last generation, beyond games like Split/Second and Test Drive Unlimited.
    I just found track day simulation has gotten so stale.
    And Grid/Dirt I just can't get into either.
    But then, my fave racers have been Rage Racer on the PS and MSR on the DC, so my judgement may not be the best!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    MSR on the DC, so my judgement may not be the best!

If you liked the MSR series you must have liked it's spiritual successor the PGR series on the Xbox and 360. PGR 3 was a great launch title on the 360, played it for months.

Project Gotham were the big reasons I jumped on both the Xbox and 360.
    So sad to see Bizarre Creations go down the swanny.
    I put little time into Blur and only got Bloodstone the other day to give it a whirl, a fiver from Tesco. Haven't tried it yet though.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭ArPharazon

The number 1 spot pleases this Nintendo fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

my favourite game isn't in the top 100:D

much as I love dark souls and think it deserves an easy #2 spot, i'd happily place mario galaxy 1 ahead of it. That game was just wonderful. It made the horrible motion controlled wii nonsense seem bearable and that's a hell of a thing to manage.

Agree here; allowing motion control to be integrated without being forced on the player for a gimmick.

The control scheme was excellent with the wii remote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Has anyone here bothered to vote for their top 10 games here? There seems to be only a last of about 300 games. While for someone like my self who would be a casual enough in my gaming, that's not a huge issue, I'd imagine that'd be a bone of contention for some.

Advertisement