Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing my home network

Options
  • 22-05-2014 7:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭

Right here goes. I'm changing my home network slightly and need some advice.

Existing setup is:

Broadband supplier is three government broadband scheme.
    Using huawei b260a wi fi router, this is connected to an 8 port switch via cat 5 cable.
    Have a tplink access point connected to the switch to give wi fi in other half of house from the b260a.
    Have tplink homeplug connected to switch to give wi fi in external garage.
    Sky box and smart TV connected to switch also.

I have now upgraded the three router to the huawei E5220. Gives a much faster and more stable connection. I have positioned this in the same place as the original b260a. Now my problem is how to connect the cat 5 cable to this to feed the switch.

The E5220 has a USB output and I've seen adapters on eBay that would allow me to connect to the RJ45 on the cat 5, but then I won't be able to charge the huawei e5220 as it's the same port on the e5220....... or maybe someone knows a gadget that will allow me to do both.

I've been looking at a few TPlink items........ is there an item that will take a signal from the e5220 wirelessly and then via LAN port transfer signalto the switch. Would such an item be reliable

Any help gladly appreciated.

Ask any questions

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

You upgraded the wrong way tbh. If you want a stable setup then you should have gone with a real unit, not a "mobile" mifi one.

Find out how much power the E5220 needs to charge, if it can manage on 5v/500ma or less then get a router that supports a USB 3G dongle, connect it to that and configure the router to open the 3G connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Randyleprechaun

Got the Tplink wa701nd.

Does the job grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Randyleprechaun

Got the Tplink wa701nd.

Does the job grand.

Advertisement