Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A great photo of blind spots with lorries.. Worth a look.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Needs to open his frickin eyes then.....

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭The other fella

The bike at the back, on the left of the truck looks to be directly in line with the mirrors on the truck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

You'd want to be blind to miss that lorry!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Moomat

The bike at the back, on the left of the truck looks to be directly in line with the mirrors on the truck.

Considering the truck is a lhd, you would definitely see that bike

He has the round wideview mirrors aswell as his normal mirrors. I see the point of the photo as in blindspots but unless he woke up at a set of traffic lights surrounded by them bikes it must be Stevie Wonder driving the thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭peckerhead

This is how they snuck up on your man in Mad Max. Like ninjas... :cool:

"Bikers? What bikers? I don't see any blerrie bikers, mate..."
    mad_max-2_10.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

You would actually be amazed at the amount of blind spots to deal with such as pillars, whats behind the big mirrors and the height difference only have to look here at this video below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATocBBd7ARs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

this wouldnt surprise me - an excuse to drop a gear a wallop by, no hanging about near onena dem

You would actually be amazed at the amount of blind spots to deal with such as pillars, whats behind the big mirrors and the height difference only have to look here at this video below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATocBBd7ARs

Prolly the ex wife in the car (he seen her alright ;) )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Trucks have right of weight.
    No good moaning about stupid truck drivers when you are lying in a wooden box.
    I just give them a wide berth if I can, Road trains in Oz you just pull off and wait until they pass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,736 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

If the above picture is true then surely there is a case of saying that trucks are not safe to drive around. The driver is in control of this massive machine, yet has enormous blindspots which do not allow him a clear view.

Does somehting radical not need to be done to sort this out.

Leroy42 wrote: »
    If the above picture is true then surely there is a case of saying that trucks are not safe to drive around. The driver is in control of this massive machine, yet has enormous blindspots which do not allow him a clear view.

Does somehting radical not need to be done to sort this out.
    Thats not a Cabover design like most Euro trucks so it may not be entirely correct here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,736 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Thats not a Cabover design like most Euro trucks so it may not be entirely correct here.

Is that the reason why we mostly have Cabover design over here then? I wasn't aware of that. Nice to know

Is that the reason why we mostly have Cabover design over here then? I wasn't aware of that. Nice to know
    I think that they use them here because they can park them closer in the ferries, not because they are safer for other road users.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

I think that they use them here because they can park them closer in the ferries, not because they are safer for other road users.

Indeed. The cabover design has the driver sitting considerably higher, so the blind-spot situation is not necessarily a whole lot better than with the American style. It all goes to show, there are three things about driving a truck - Left-Mirror, Left-Mirror, and finally, Left-Mirror. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭crazyderk

I always found this fascinating when it comes to blind spots

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 64 ✭✭CNTRLR

i would be very surprised if he could not see that one on the left, but t i have only sat in a truck cab never driven one..but surely everyone knows if you cannot see the driver he can kill you, is that not a basic one.. but then again my cage is a mini so i don't tend to hang around in trucks blind spots in that either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Moomat

The American style would be a waste of space over here. Cant remember the exact figure but its something like a maximum of 17m for tractor and trailer, the standard eu trailer lenght would be 13.6m so doesnt leave any space for those american monsters!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 183 ✭✭szatan84

I would imagine they had to design European trucks from scratch, as we have corner here.

Edit: I spoke to the head of a transport company and heee is the answer I got:

Bullnoses are used in countries whe loads have to be transported over long distances (America or Australia). They would offer much more room in cab as the engine is out front. So the sleeping area is bigger, there would be space for a bigger fridge and soms even have cookers fitted. I also have access to Euro trucks as I work in haulage so will do a similar video with the view from a cab.

I would rather have thousands of trucks on the road then 10 tractors! Lethal they are, but that is another thread altogether.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,615 ✭✭✭prunudo

Even with those blind spots I bet that the majority of truck drivers are far more aware of what's around them than most of the people driving around in cars with tiny blind spots who still claim not to have seen the motorcyclist they just pulled out in front of.

As the saying goes, if you can't see the driver, the driver can't see you.

And how the farmers get away with it is beyond me Wondaboy.

Advertisement