Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling around the world with TEFL

Options
  • 22-05-2014 7:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hey all,

Right, myself and the better half are heading off next year to cycle around the world ... we're saving up at the moment, trying to get as much in the bank as possible before we head off.

Just had a brain wave though that being able to teach English while we're on the road could help us hugely and we noticed that telfireland.com have the 120 hour online course on offer, down from €600 to €200 . We both have degrees already (nothing to do with teaching but degrees all the same!)

So, does it matter which provider you go with as we didn't realise there were so many ... we kinda just though there was one TEFL Ireland website!!!!

And is the 120 hour online course enough to teach in most Asian and continental European countries?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭R.D. aka MR.D

Wow cycling around the world is an amazing idea! Maybe I could convince my OH to do the same!!

I have a few questions about your plan. DO you plan to stay a long time at each stop? To build up a network for privates/find a job would take time in each location. Schools want to hire people for long periods. I think the shortest I've heard about other than summer camps would be 3 months.

Asian countries don't really expect any TEFL qualification. In Europe, you generally need something like a CELTA.

Also, something to bare in mind is that you would probably be working illegally in these countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 fitz.mine

Wow cycling around the world is an amazing idea! Maybe I could convince my OH to do the same!!

I have a few questions about your plan. DO you plan to stay a long time at each stop? To build up a network for privates/find a job would take time in each location. Schools want to hire people for long periods. I think the shortest I've heard about other than summer camps would be 3 months.

Asian countries don't really expect any TEFL qualification. In Europe, you generally need something like a CELTA.

Also, something to bare in mind is that you would probably be working illegally in these countries.

We kind of planned on only staying in places if we really liked it there and an opportunity arose (eg. teaching English or working the land - we're noth horticulturists) that meant that we could stay in one place without spending money - just spend what we earn essentially or work to live.

As for working on the shly.... well of COURSE we would never do that!

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭superelliptic

This is interesting - Im planning on doing the same thing next year myself, probably leaving around May 2015. Don't have TEFL though, Im just saving money and going to live frugally on the road. Where you starting from? I was entertaining doing around Ireland and getting the ferry from Belfast to Scotland and then down the east coast of Britain to get to the ferry crossing below London. From there its the Eurovelo routes around Europe for a while before heading east.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 fitz.mine

Hey Superelliptic,

We live in Wexford so we'll be getting the ferry from Rosslare to France and heading off from there! That route you're doing sounds class. We'll be leaving mid-June 2015 so might be hitting France at the same time! We have been calculating things and we should have enough to live frugally for at least a year without working if we keep saving like we are. That's living in our tent though (or cheap hostels in parts of Asia) and cooking our own food.

Saw a link to a couple from the States that have been on the road for 10 years. ( ) They broke it down to €10,000 for the two of them for a year which is very pretty awesome. They ran out of money along the way and just trying to suss out what they did to earn money, might have a gander now ... bit of procrastination from work!

Advertisement