Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Holiday VISA extension in the States??

Options
  • 22-05-2014 8:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hey,

I'm planning a trip for next year, cycling around the world with the girlfriend. Everything is coming together and plans being put in place ... but the whole US Visa thing has us stumped.

Basically, we'll be arriving on the West Coast in spring 2016 and we have planned to travel across the trans-America route, cutting right across the middle. It can be done in 3 months but that's miserably fast paced and we plan on doing it in 4-5 months. The 90 day Holiday Visa would cover us for the first 3 months as far as I'm aware, but what the hell do we do then?? Surely this isn't a new issue for people backpacking/cycling/dancing across the States??

Is there any easy solution to this? Some people have suggested crossing into Canada but that sounds a bit dodgy and not-so-reliable ... also, we won't really be up near Canada and while we wouldn't mind a detour if needed, we wouldn't like to do if it wasn't a definite solution!!

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

You can't extend that 90 days, you'll have to apply for a B2 visa before you leave. They'll expect to see proof of funds to prove you can support yourself for 6 months and something to show you will be returning.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 fitz.mine

Is it true that if you apply for the B2 and get denied it, you can't get the 90 day entry for a couple of years? And if so, has anyone ever heard of someone getting denied the visa if they have money in the bank to show?

And one more question ... what would constitute proof that you're returning? Would it have to be a flight booked home (which would be a pain in the ass for us) or would a letter with a start date for work in Ireland or something suffice?

Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

fitz.mine wrote: »
    Is it true that if you apply for the B2 and get denied it, you can't get the 90 day entry for a couple of years? And if so, has anyone ever heard of someone getting denied the visa if they have money in the bank to show?

And one more question ... what would constitute proof that you're returning? Would it have to be a flight booked home (which would be a pain in the ass for us) or would a letter with a start date for work in Ireland or something suffice?

Thanks!

if you are denied a visa, you can't ever use the 90 day visa waiver again. It's a bit of a catch 22 in your situation, as you are doing something legitimate.

One thing though, in order to use the visa waiver, you also need to show proof of a return flight. You may need to engage a legal mind on this to help you get through the nightmare that is enjoying the US in a different way than normal

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Is there any easy solution to this? Some people have suggested crossing into Canada but that sounds a bit dodgy and not-so-reliable ...

I don't see why that sounds dodgy. It's only a problem if someone told you that you could enter Canada to reset the 90-day limit before reentering the USA as this doesn't work.

Did you not know that the limit was 90 days before organizing the trip ?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

To answer the question in the title, every FAQ I've read on the US Customs and Border Protection (CBP) website makes it abundantly clear that that there are no circumstances under which they will extend the 90 days travel permit they give under the visa waiver program.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 fitz.mine

Ponster wrote: »
    I don't see why that sounds dodgy. It's only a problem if someone told you that you could enter Canada to reset the 90-day limit before reentering the USA as this doesn't work.

Did you not know that the limit was 90 days before organizing the trip ?

We are currently organising the trip ... hence the question. We're not leaving until next year.

And yes, it seemed dodgy because they implied that the 90 days would be reset, which would be a ridiculous loop hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

And yes, it seemed dodgy because they implied that the 90 days would be reset, which would be a ridiculous loop hole.

Don't know who 'they' are but a quick check reveals that they are talking rubbish. The clock doesn't get reset if you go to Canada, it keeps ticking.....

Trips to Canada, Mexico, or nearby Islands

If you are admitted to the United States under the VWP, you may take a short trip to Canada, Mexico, or a nearby island and generally be readmitted to the United States under the VWP for the remainder of the original 90 days granted upon your initial arrival in the United States. Therefore, the length of time of your total stay, including the short trip, must be 90 days or less.

http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/visit/visa-waiver-program.html

Advertisement