Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby changing facilities in Greystones library

Options
  • 22-05-2014 8:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭

Was out today and needed to change a wet nappy on a 6mth old. The coffee shop we were in didn't have facilities but felt there was room on the ledge beside the sink. As we were heading to the library, I decided to wait. A public building was bound to have changing facilities. Esp a library which is a family 'destination' - and a library refurbished in the not too distant past would surely have them?... Nope! And not so much as an apology or a 'we'd like to' from the staff. Instead a defensive 'none of the Wicklow libraries have them' response was what I got.
    Maybe I am expecting too much, but how hard would it be to have one of those pull down ones mounted to the wall?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,928 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

if only there was a local election coming up...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Cerco

I think it was an oversight not to provide the facility during the refurbishment. Perhaps it was due to lack of space. The allocated space is cramped and not well maintained. Saying that some patron's hygiene leave much to be desired.

I also note a severe lack of investment in new books. I guess the cut backs are now being felt in the local libraries. In such circumstances I would prefer to see any available funds being invested in new books.

It was my understanding that a portion of the household tax was to fund libraries. Alas that was before Irish Water was set up.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Shazerina

loyatemu wrote: »
    if only there was a local election coming up...
    Indeed. But No one calling tonight to canvass...

Cerco wrote: »
    I think it was an oversight not to provide the facility during the refurbishment. Perhaps it was due to lack of space. The allocated space is cramped and not well maintained. Saying that some patron's hygiene leave much to be desired.

I also note a severe lack of investment in new books. I guess the cut backs are now being felt in the local libraries. In such circumstances I would prefer to see any available funds being invested in new books.

It was my understanding that a portion of the household tax was to fund libraries. Alas that was before Irish Water was set up.

I absolutely agree that books should take precedence in a library Esp in more straitened times.
    But with such a lovely refurbishment job you would have thought that a simple changing table would not have been too much bother? I mean, it is a public building for use by the public...of all ages...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

Shazerina wrote: »
    Indeed. But No one calling tonight to canvass...
    Sure about that? Someone posted up on the Charlesland Facebook page that McGahon & Co knocked on her door after 8:30 last night, waking her children.

I also got yet another McGahon "postcard" in the door overnight again ignoring the sign on my door. I guess now that he knows he has lost the votes in my house he's just trolling me.

On topic, I'd never have expected to see changing facilities in a library. I'd be more annoyed that a coffee shop which benefits greatly from mummies (and sometimes daddies) stopping for a coffee with a baby doesn't have those facilities.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭HappyDaze007

as above...

Coffee shops yeah... but Libraries..? seriously..

I thought Libraries where a hush hush place.....Like in-fairness who wants a screaming kid whilst studying/reading etc...??

just my 2c

as above...

I thought Libraries where a hush hush place.....Like in-fairness who wants a screaming kid whilst studying/reading etc...??

just my 2c

Ooooohhh!!! Controversial!!
    (And my kid doesn't scream fwiw!)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Are you serious with that comment? Have you heard of 'Universal Accessibility'? Some people may associate it with access for people with disabilities; it also includes access for everyone, including non-disabled and people of all ages such as requirements for baby-changing facilities. The library is a public building, and should be accessible to all.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

Nope never heard of Universal accessibility, Still like i say it was my 2c worth...

I'll stand in the naughty corner for the rest of the day so...!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Arthur Beesley

as above...

just my 2c

Good call.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

Baby changing facilities and libraries, nope, never would've made that connection.

Fine, I hope I have opened some eyes then.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Cheeky Chops

A public library should have a disabled toilet and baby changing facilities. It's absurd to think otherwise!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

astrofluff wrote: »
    Fine, I hope I have opened some eyes then.
    And how about 24 hour opening, I love reading at night:D

A public library should have a disabled toilet and baby changing facilities. It's absurd to think otherwise!

Disabled toilet.. Yes of course..
    But baby changing facilities...? Come on... There is plenty of pubs and even more cafes in greystones that no doubt have these facilities.

We all know how quiet it is in libraries for obviouse reasons, so no one will want a wailing banshee in there also....

Like a prev poster had said, library and baby changing do not go together... Like I've never heard of someone saying "I know what I'll do today, ill go to the library to read and bring the nipper with me too..!?!?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Cerco

Like a prev poster had said, library and baby changing do not go together... Like I've never heard of someone saying "I know what I'll do today, ill go to the library to read and bring the nipper with me too..!?!?!

I suspect you are not a frequent visitor to the Greystones Library.

Cerco wrote: »
    I suspect you are not a frequent visitor to the Greystones Library.

No and wouldn't want to....

Maybe they could start a mother and toddlers events there...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

So far from this thread I have learned that all babies cry constantly ( or that's the impression given anyway) and libraries are no places for a parent to go with a child. There must have been something wrong with my kids as they didn't spend all their nappy wearing time crying. And God forbid I bring my child to a library to try open their eyes to knowledge. I'd be far better off bringing them to a pub to give them a different type of education.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

No and wouldn't want to....

Maybe they could start a mother and toddlers events there...

Our local library does have a mother and toddler group there every week! Plus they've a little area where the kids books are with bean bags and a few toys so young kids lie going there. I think libraries have changed a lot the last few years.

sillysocks wrote: »
    Our local library does have a mother and toddler group there every week! Plus they've a little area where the kids books are with bean bags and a few toys so young kids lie going there. I think libraries have changed a lot the last few years.

Holy moly..... They have changed...
    Long gone are the signs saying " silence in library" ...

• Advertisement

RosieJoe wrote: »
    So far from this thread I have learned that all babies cry constantly ( or that's the impression given anyway) and libraries are no places for a parent to go with a child. There must have been something wrong with my kids as they didn't spend all their nappy wearing time crying. And God forbid I bring my child to a library to try open their eyes to knowledge. I'd be far better off bringing them to a pub to give them a different type of education.

You learnt nothing from this thread, babies don't constantly cry and I never gave that impression.
    I wouldn't say there is anything wrong with your kids but taking them to the pub might work, plenty of families do everyday but I'd rather take my kids to school to get a education and buy them books etc etc for the house.

I've too much common decency to go and wreck other people's study, reading time in the library.

Over and out...

as above...

just my 2c
    Disabled toilet.. Yes of course..
    But baby changing facilities...? Come on... There is plenty of pubs and even more cafes in greystones that no doubt have these facilities.

We all know how quiet it is in libraries for obviouse reasons, so no one will want a wailing banshee in there also....

You learnt nothing from this thread, babies don't constantly cry and I never gave that impression.
    I wouldn't say there is anything wrong with your kids but taking them to the pub might work, plenty of families do everyday but I'd rather take my kids to school to get a education and buy them books etc etc for the house.

I've too much common decency to go and wreck other people's study, reading time in the library. :confused::confused::confused:

Over and out...

The 2 times you mention babies in the library you refer to them as either crying or wailing. Ever think that they can be quiet at all?

As for pubs, IMO it's not the greatest environment for a family day out. Once in awhile yeah, but I'm not going to sit them down for the 80's Sunday lunch of Red Lemonade and Tayto on a regular basis.

And why should education stop at school? I have loads of books at home but there is nothing wrong with me availing of the books in the library.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

If a child is young enough that they're not toilet trained, I'd question the educational value they'd get from a library.

If a child is young enough that they're not toilet trained, I'd question the educational value they'd get from a library.

I agree, but should that stop the Parent from visiting the library?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,928 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

RosieJoe wrote: »
    I agree, but should that stop the Parent from visiting the library?

Parents may have older kids as well.

I can't believe anyone is arguing that libraries shouldn't have baby-changing facilities. Every public building should have them where practical (and it is practical in Greystones Library as its been refurbished and extended quite recently).

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭legrand

For those of you that feel strongly about the need for changing facilities in the library, you can contact your newly elected local public representatives to get it done.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭abacus120

The ldies toilet in the libray is disgusting,the smell turns my stomach,i hate when im in there with my daughter and she has to go,its disgusting and looks like it is never cleaned,i wouldn't want to change a baby in there.

legrand wrote: »
    For those of you that feel strongly about the need for changing facilities in the library, you can contact your newly elected local public representatives to get it done.

Or just go to any of the cafes or pubs and leave the folk in library in peace..!

I can just see the new sign now..

"Greystones Library/creche and public p!ss pot..!"

Suppose they did extend the library so it'll fit...

Suppose they did extend the library so it'll fit...

I'm glad to see you are slowly coming round to favouring this. Otherwise: \thread for me.

• Advertisement

Reminds of that train station in wales where the sign in longer than the platform..

Listen im not getting in a hit, bob and shot arguing.. not that im arguing..

Im just trying to say, if it was me id choose other/better places to change my kid that is all...and in fairness im not surprised the op got the response from the library girl, she get the same from me too..... but with a smile..!

Advertisement